WKNC 88.1 gets national ranking

Home Forums StateFans Non Sports Talk WKNC 88.1 gets national ranking

Tagged: 

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    StateFans
    Keymaster

Congratulations! Link

Financial challenges don’t silence the radio waves at colleges, where radio stations are often known for being years ahead of the mainstream, according to Best College Reviews, an online research service for prospective college students. The blog reviews all things related to colleges across the country, and recently put its ear to the test to rank colleges’ radio stations. And N.C. State’s college radio station ranked eighth among the top 20 stations listed by Best College Review.

The 25,000 watt WKNC 88.1FM is a student-run non-commercial radio funded by the university. The station focuses on electronic, hip-hop, indie rock, and metal. WASU of Appalachian State University in Boone, which accepts students who are seriously considering a career in broadcasting, ranked No. 5 on the list.

No. 1 on the list is WSBU in St. Bonaventure, N.Y., and last on the list of 20 is WEIU at Eastern Illinois University in Charleston, Ill.

BJD95
    Keymaster

In September of 1991, WKNC first introduced me to the music of Soundgarden, and the track that would be my pre-game (attending, or playing hoops or tennis) anthem for most of my adult life (“Jesus Christ Pose”). Thanks for the memories, and for being a very good college radio station, WKNC.

packbackr04
    Participant

is there a way to stream 88.1 for those of us outside the listening area?

Wufpacker
    Participant
    Pack Mentality
    Participant

Back in the mid 90s when it played heavy metal almost all day every day it was by far the #1 station in the world. This was before that terminology meant yelling and screaming and no real singing. They unfortunately quit being a heavy metal station around 2000. Actually that’s probably for the best because all the best stuff was prior to 2000 anyway.

ChemE79a
    Participant

During the mid 90s I only listened to some of the speciality shows because it was heavy metal as the bass programing. I like the current format much better.

TheCOWDOG

Springsteen’s “Greetings from Asbury Park” in ’73.

Who are those guys?

TheCOWDOG

Put Peabody’s Way Back Machine on for “Greetings From Asbury Park.”

88.1 is responsible for introducing Springsteen to the Wolfpack, back in 19and73.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.