Will Grier to Transfer From Florida

Home Forums StateFans Football Will Grier to Transfer From Florida

Tagged: 

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Wulfpack
    Participant

Quarterback Will Grier will transfer from Florida, the school announced Saturday.

“Will came to me about exploring his options to transfer. We will support him and help him in anyway we can,” coach Jim McElwain said in a statement. “This has been very difficult on him and obviously he is looking for a fresh start. We will always be there for him as will all Gators.”

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/14399127/will-grier-transfer-florida-gators-amid-one-year-suspension

Wufpacker
    Participant

Go get him and bring him home DD. Keeping that Gainesville to Raleigh pipeline open in the process.

But a no tolerance on PED testing would have to go without saying. Assuming he was telling the truth, that shouldn’t be a problem for him.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Agreed. Go get this kid. He’s going to be a really good player for somebody.

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

Are you guys just talking tongue in cheek or is there a legit connection we have to this kid?

Wufpacker
    Participant

He’s from NC. No other connection that I know of. I don’t think we ever recruited him, at least not heavily, but I think Carolina did IIRC. But considering their current looming and hopefully severe sanctions, he might be open if he wants to come closer to home.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Grier was rated by Rivals.com as a four-star recruit and was ranked as the second best dual-threat quarterback in his class and 46th player overall. Grier was offered scholarships to play football at Auburn, Arkansas, Florida, North Carolina, Tennessee, and Wake Forest.

BJD95
    Keymaster

Watch him go to Tennessee. That’ll really get their panties in a wad.

Wulfpack
    Participant

His father Chad played at ECU. He is now a very successful coach at Davidson Day here in the Charlotte area.

I’ve seen where some are saying Doeren is doing a great job of establishing relations with HS coaches in this state. If he hasn’t already done so, now would be a perfect time to butter up to coach Grier. I watched this kid play some in HS and he is really freaking good. I think he showed as much at Florida earlier this year.

Fastback68
    Participant

^I read his uncle played at State

tjfoose1
    Participant

His uncle Jason did attend State during the Sheridan years. I believe his was briefly on the team.

tjfoose1
    Participant

Don’t see him coming here though. Don’t see Doeren trying to get him to either.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Don’t see Doeren trying to get him to either

May I ask, why?

tjfoose1
    Participant

Just my educated guess. The risk of potential issues isn’t worth the attempt.

One in the hand vs two in the bush.

Grier is understandably going to want to play immediately, but there’s already a QB on the roster that is expecting the opportunity he’s earned.

Sends wrong message to entire team and future recruits.

Now if there had been QB issues all along, it would be different. But McClendon was recruited by Doeren for this offense. There was a plan and progression. A promised opportunity. He’s done everything asked of him.

Doeren isnt Saban, or Meyer, or even Swinney. He doesn’t have an established track record with players. McClendon is his first recruited and groomed QB. This is Doeren’s first QB transition.

Actively recruiting a replacement before he’s even given a chance? Bad message. To everyone. Not worth the risk, short term, or big picture long-term.

And that’s assuming Grier would even commit. Damage is done, IMO, just with the attempt.

If not for ALL the above circumstances, Id say go for it.

But as it is, at most, I’d give Grier a call and say he’s welcome to come in and compete, if he’s interested. And that, only after a heads up to McClendon. Probably make the call with McClendon right next to me.

But as stated above, Grier is going to want to go somewhere where he can play immediately, with slim to zero chance that he wouldn’t. So what’s the chances he would come to State anyway? Is that chance worth it?

LRM
    Keymaster

Good points by Foose.

I think he transfers down to I-AA so he can play next year (he sits out next year if he goes to another I-A).

The main argument for Doeren is that he needs a few years to rebuild the foundation. You don’t do that chasing troubled transfers.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.