Will Grier suspension

Home Forums StateFans Football Will Grier suspension

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    dcllc
    Participant

I’m not one to start topics. Will, a NC native would seem to be a topic of interest. What are you thoughts on his suspension? In my mind there’s a chance, it might be small, that he could end up transferring if Treon plays good football the remainder of this season and into next season. UNC and Tennessee were a close second in his recruitment.

Let’s discuss.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Who knows?

His dad, a coach at Davidson Day outside of Charlotte, played at ECU. Grier showed well this year. He doesn’t seem like the type to back down from a challenge. McElwain will keep him motivated.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

It would be helpful to include a link so that I have some idea of who you’re talking about. I honestly don’t have any idea who Will Grier is or why I should care enough to google him.

dcllc
    Participant

Will was the starting QB for Florida and played his high school ball at Davidson Day. He won many national player of the year awards including the Parade Magazine POY…

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/13871336/will-grier-florida-gators-quarterback-suspended-season

tractor57
    Participant

The whole situation sounds sketchy to me. The excuse “I took an over the counter supplement but didn’t get it verified by the coaching/training staff” but I didn’t think it was a problem is exactly wrong. He most likely knew banned substances were included. So one of two things – either he decided to play with fire or he was given tacit approval to use this “supplement”. Either way he has now mostly killed his future. Not sure I would want him as NC State at this point.

Wulfpack
    Participant

His future, while uncertain, has not been “killed”. It remains to be seen whether he will regain the starting position at Florida next fall (6 games in). But even if he does not, he has two full years of eligibility remaining. He is a very solid young QB that will be playing on Saturdays. Will it be for the Gators?? Who knows.

And, let’s credit the kid for owning up to his mistake. He’ll be back.

redisgood
    Participant

From a father’s perspective:

“His story is not mine to tell. But I do know the facts. I do know that his mistake was one of naivete, not of malice. I do know that he had no idea that he had done anything he thought was wrong, let alone the NCAA.

If and when he’s ready, he’ll fill in the blanks.

Football has a finite shelf-life for all who play the game. The smartest of those who play use the game to sharpen life skills. When I saw my son walk to that podium to tell a room full of adults that he was sorry for his mistake, I knew that Will had used the game to become a better man.

Will loves his teammates and the University of Florida the way the most loyal SEC fans feel about their school. This crisis in Will’s life has brought out the best in him as he has asked me to help him find opportunities to serve others while he waits on adults who don’t even know him to decide his immediate future. He is the calming voice in our family, assuring all of us that he’s OK and that God gives his toughest battles to his toughest soldiers. He doesn’t see his world falling apart, he sees his world changing and he is ready to embrace it and tackle it with the same ferocity as his teammates have been attacking opposing offenses.

As a family, we have been overwhelmed by the encouragement of so many friends and strangers. Again, crisis brings out the best in some people.

Unfortunately, crisis brings out the worst in others. It’s disappointing to see the comments of those all too happy to kick a young man who has just had his life turned upside down and vilify him as if he intentionally did something wrong. I’m sure most of those folks are generally good people and just see it as having fun at someone else’s expense and in a twisted way supporting their own team. Others just troll looking for something or someone to hate on. I doubt that many of these people stop to think what that would feel like if it were happening to their own son.

And to those people, my answer is yes, I am still very proud of my son. More so today than ever before! #ProudDad”

tractor57
    Participant

Mistake? Not knowing? I sincerely doubt that. I do hope it is true but if so I do have to question his ability to absorb information, process that and make decisions.

Wulfpack
    Participant

He took an over the counter supplement. The punishment don’t fit the crime, but those are the rules.

Participant

I have been following Will for years and have read countless articles about both him and his father, Chad. There’s no doubt that they’re a GREAT family and I admire all of them, and Will is a great young man. But I’ll tell you this, if anyone knew what he was taking I have to think Chad did. I don’t think Will would have done this on his own. They obviously have a very close relationship. Go ahead and shoot me down, it’s just my hunch and opinion.

TheCOWDOG

Sorry. I read labels before it goes down the gullet.

A list of banned chemicals and herbs are provided to every good girl and boy.

tractor57
    Participant

Wulpack would you say the same if it was Marvin from the dump?

Participant

This isn’t the first time Chad has had to comment on one of his son’s mistakes.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/article9139043.html

Participant

“Chad Grier wouldn’t confirm what supplement his son took, but said this: “You can walk in the store and buy what he took yourself. For guys that train hard, it’s a common thing. He buys supplements just like a lot of his teammates do and he had a reward card and he had some extra points and the guy helping him said, ‘Hey wanna get something else for your points?’

“Will said, ‘I’m trying to add weight and size,’ and the guy said, ‘Try this, it works great.’ Will took it for two weeks and threw it away because he didn’t get anything out of it.”

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/high-school/article39331278.html

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.