Why is this guy talking about us ???

Home Forums All StateFansNation Why is this guy talking about us ???

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Guys… it’s boring as hell around here lately… guess we all waiting for the Mount Olive Lady Trojans to start their run deep in the baseball NCAAs…

Anyway… I found this link while reading what our friends at Idiot Central are saying ’bout the possibilities of Uncle Roy heading out to West Coast to work for Mr. UpChuck…

the unc athletics scandal in context
    by UNC professor Andrew Perrin (candidate for 2014 Chair of the UNC Faculty)

http://scatter.wordpress.com/2014/05/06/the-unc-athletics-scandal-in-context/

Which begs the question of the day….
    Why would the esteemed, distinguished Professor bother to denigrate himself by mentioning us in the footnote of his otherwise high sounding, totally whitewashed, opine about all the good things being done over on Franklin Street ???

Also of some curiosity… is the obvious fact that capitalization of titles is no longer required in professional writing, and like our media friends — the Professor choose to use a title which had nothing to do the content of his otherwise polished article.

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    Wufpacker
    Participant

The short answer? He’s a Carolina homer trying to sound like he’s not.

He’s giving the standard mea culpas which are unavoidable at this point if he wants to be taken seriously (or at least what passes for “seriously” over there), but in the end it’s nothing more than a rephrasing of “Rogues” and “Nothing more to see here”.

He even went out of his way to paint Jay Smith as a psuedo-vigilante. I surprised he was able to write it without mention of Mary Willingham or Dan Kane. Though I’d bet money they were in the rough drafts at some point.

As far as his title, I think it’s pretty telling. Notice he called it an “athletics scandal”? Whoopsie.

TheCOWDOG

I know it’s only old man’s syndrom, but the Lady Trojans, or them Fighten Pickles, if preferred, will be playin’ softball, not baseball.

🙂

UNx people just can’t help themselves.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Mr. Dog … that is all on me… I knew the Lady Trojans played softball.. just dribbled that one off my foot … so to speak…
    My brain sees where my feet no longer go…
    No excuses…

r
    .u
    ..n
    …n
    ….i
    …..n
    ……g
    ……s
    …..t
    ….e
    …p
    ..s
    ..n
    .o
    w….

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    highstick
    Participant

I think he ran his yap so much that he lost his election too! I’d be embarrassed as hell to have such a fool as part of my faculty!

He’s probably the dummy that keyed my car!

"Whomp 'em, Up, Side the Head"!

MrPlywood
    Participant

The doublespeak this guy spouts is great, especially this line “While all this is going on, though, let’s recognize that the scandal and its aftermath is far from the most important issue facing Carolina and our faculty…”

And this “While I sympathize with Smith’s historian’s impulse to discover every detail of past misdeeds…”

And this “That’s what I meant when I said we have enough information now to make the necessary reforms.”

First, continue your attempt to minimize. Carolina blue is, I dare say, a global brand which has nothing to do with the 28,000 students he cares so much about. They want that goose to keep laying blue eggs.

Second, keep your head buried man, protect the legacy at all costs.

Three, no you don’t have enough info yet. If you don’t know the who, what, how and why about the fake classes, you don’t know everything you need.

Lastly, it’s been my experience that dealing wrongdoing involved two components – the punishment and the reforms. uNX is trying their damnedest to avoid any punishment. Although with the ineffective NCAA I don’t know where that would come from other than from loss of licensing deals.

RaisedByWolves
    Participant

I don’t buy his argument about idiographic versus nomothetic research. It depends on what level you’re observing. He seems to be saying that Jay Smith’s quest to get to the bottom of this is misplaced because it’s an N of 1 – one scandal – and therefore can’t demonstrate a pattern. I would argue that within the scandal, there’s plenty of space to look for patterns. We’re not talking about one athlete who was steered to a fake class; we’re talking about hundreds. That’s a pattern.

MP
    Participant

I never get tired of this line:

“The College tightened oversight of departmental administrations and started checking to ensure classes were actually meeting.”

Now we’re serious! We are going to require our students to attend class!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.