What's Best?

Home Forums All StateFansNation What's Best?

Tagged: 

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    wolfburg
    Participant

Question: What’s best for the long term interest of the NCS football program? Scheduling the first game of the year with a “cupcake” like Troy Univ. for example and win convincingly, OR do like Va. Tech did and schedule a national power and lose, but not embarrassingly? Remember, Va. Tech did the same thing last year and beat OSU. Don’t forget, I said “long term interest”.

Greywolf
    Participant

If and that’s a BIG IF or when we can schedule OSU, TCU. Alabama or Oregon on national TV on a home and home basis, then absolutely go for it. The exposure, money etc., will make the loss or losses worth it.

The problem I see is every other NCSU look-a-like is trying to so the same thing. If any of us has the personal connections to call one of these ADs and arrange such a game, I’m sure Debbie would deeply appreciate it — probably have you and yours sit up in Vaughn Towers while you tell her the details and watch some football in good old C-F.

While I’m on a roll, we need to stop talking like State is the only P-5 school scheduling so-called cupcakes. It makes us look uninformed and ignorant.

tjfoose1
    Participant

It depends.

This team, at this point of program development, a cupcake.

I’d probably answer differently in 2 to 3 years.

Ask Cutcliffe how Duke was set back when they played Alabama a 4 or 5 (?) years ago.

That stated, I believe we were originally scheduled to play LSU this year. The bought out of the contract.

And btw, I don’t know how far back the Troy Gabe was scheduled, but it wasn’t that long ago when Troy was anything but a ‘cupcake’. They upset several Power 5 schools and if memory serves correct, lost to that Ohio State program you referenced by only 10 or so points.

tjfoose1
    Participant

*game, not Gabe.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

Season-opening games will have NO measurable impact on State’s FB program. Season-ending games are a different story.

Wulfpack
    Participant

While I’m on a roll, we need to stop talking like State is the only P-5 school scheduling so-called cupcakes. It makes us look uninformed and ignorant.

This is true. But what is also true (can’t remember where I saw it) State’s non-conference slate is one of the weakest among all the Power 5.

Fastback68
    Participant

I have fond memories of opening day wins against #16 Iowa, #13 Syracuse, #17 Texas and Arkansas State****. I also vaquely remember opening day wins against New Mexico, Richmond, WCU, Liberty, Louisiana Tech, Georgia Southern and now Troy. Younger generations, at least, should have the opportunity to remember the “big” game. It’s like having two bowl games in one year for a successful team. It’s sounds like schedule upgrades are either set up or in the works.

My wife recently informed me that our daughter wants to go to a college that has big time football. Those words cut deep. I need a special season and in particular a memorable Halloween.

MISTA WOLF
    Participant

^ A memorable Halloween would be extremely special. We have a legit chance at being 7-0 when IPTAY comes to town. I’m all about a cupcake for the first game of the season, mainly just to get your ducks in a row and see how the boys compete when everything is live. I would like to see a marquee OOC match up every year during week 2 or 3 followed by a “cupcake” for our 4th contest to heal, tend to wounds.

wolfburg
    Participant

This is Wolfburg. Interesting comments to my question. I’m an old grad (class of ’68). I can remember big victories (or near-victories) over OOC elites that certainly helped our program. 1966: we nearly beat FL at home; they were undefeated, ranked in the top10 and lead by a guy named Steve Spurrier. A late int. cost us the game. 1967: we beat Houston (ranked #2) in the Astrodome; State eventually rose to #3 in the polls until losing to Clemson. We beat Penn State once (maybe twice) during our home-&-home series during the 70s-80s. Always played them tough. More recently, Rivers and the ’03 team lost to reigning NCAA champs Ohio St. at the “Shoe” in triple OT. The best NCS football game I have ever witnessed in a losing cause. Phillip was magnificent. I think we beat Syracuse on one occasion when they were highly ranked when McNabb was their QB.

I realize that in today’s highly visible and highly money-driven world of big-time college football, wins are the Holy Grail. But I admire coaches like Frank Beamer who are not afraid to take on the mighty Buckeyes two years in a row. If you win or even play well and lose, the program benefits.

TheCOWDOG

Soon come, soon come again.
    I remember stepping on Astro-Turf for the very first time in Lincoln, Nebraska, too.

TV money controls every step you take, now. Every, fucjing step.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Here is one of the articles I was speaking of in regards to our strength of schedule:

The top 10 softest Power-5 non-conference schedules in 2015

1. N.C. State – Index: 1.25: There was a three-way tie for the softest schedule. I put the Pack in the top spot because at least Rutgers is playing two Power 5 teams. Neither NC State nor Mississippi State is even playing one. To separate the Pack and the Bulldogs, I felt MSU had the tougher deal because I think La. Tech, coming off a 9-5 season, is more formidable than NCSU’s best opponent. Dave Doeren’s team opens against Troy, which was 3-9 in 2014 and it’s been five years since the Trojans have had a winning season. FCS Eastern Kentucky is the only one of the four opponents to post a winning record last season. The other two opponents are Old Dominion and South Alabama, who only returns five starters — tied for fewest of any team in FBS. ODU was still an FCS program in 2013; South Alabama was as recently as 2011.

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/north-carolina-state-mississippi-state-rutgers-weakest-non-conference-schedules-080315

Greywolf
    Participant

[]1967: we beat Houston (ranked #2) in the Astrodome; State eventually rose to #3 in the polls until losing to Clemson. Actually it was the loss to Penn State the prior week followed by the loss to Clemson. Many people think we lost 2 games that day. The PSU game was shown on the big screen in Reynolds. We were 4th and 1 on the goal line on a great hit by PSU LB Dennis Onkontz(sp).

But I admire coaches like Frank Beamer who are not afraid to take on the mighty Buckeyes two years in a row. OSU weren’t Natty champs when these games were scheduled. If you win or even play well and lose, the program benefits.[/quote]

Greywolf
    Participant

The top 10 softest Power-5 non-conference schedules in 2015

We have a winner — the 1000th poster to post that this year’s Wolfpack schedule is the softest of all P-5 teams.

Not exactly relevant to the OP:
    “Question: What’s best for the long term interest of the NCS football program? Scheduling the first game of the year with a “cupcake” like Troy Univ. for example and win convincingly, OR do like Va. Tech did and schedule a national power and lose, but not embarrassingly? Remember, Va. Tech did the same thing last year and beat OSU. Don’t forget, I said “long term interest”.”

But if you get a chance to take a shot at the schedule, do it.

freshmanin83
    Participant

Should not actual strength of schedules be determined after the season is over. Determining it before is a guess.

saigonwolf
    Participant

I’m with freshmanin83. Troy is considered a cupcake because they are predicted to finish 8th in the Sunbelt Conference this year. Yes, “predicted”. We all know how the predictions play out. What if they surprise everyone and finish 1st? Are they still a cupcake? I agree our OOC schedule is “soft”, but no one knows how soft until the END of the season. And I’ll bet that Troy QB will be playing somewhere on Sundays in a few years too.

Regarding what I think of “What’s best?”, I’m OK with a mixture of both – some years schedule like this year, and others have a big name, like Tennessee a few years ago, or even USC ‘Cocks. I enjoyed all those games, but of course not the results.

PackerInRussia
    Participant

What if they surprise everyone and finish 1st? Are they still a cupcake?

“To me, everything’s a cupcake”

Marvin Austin: Cupcake Warrior

(just want to make sure we don’t forget our main man)

tjfoose1
    Participant

PIR wins!

I was wondering when ol Marvin would be brought into this.

Texpack
    Participant

*game, not Gabe.

Your avatar gives you cover for all spelling errors

Texpack
    Participant

Our target OOC schedule should be
    P5(1)
    G5(2) – We should try to schedule at least one respectable G5 although that’s tough to predict
    FCS (1)

Teams like USF, UCF, Cincy, UH, Navy, UConn are always looking for a P5 opponent. I know those would be home/home, but they would generate a lot more interest than some of the Sun Belt teams

Wulfpack
    Participant

Should not actual strength of schedules be determined after the season is over. Determining it before is a guess.

It’s a bit more than a guess. What do you expect from Troy, South Alabama, EKU, and ODU? More than likely, they are going to be what they have been in the past. Maybe one of them rises up and wins their conference. Ok. Unless I’m missing something, that’s all you can go on. Of course the end of the year results will give you a more accurate indication, but we don’t have those results, yet. We do have year’s past.

Bottom line is most every other Power 5 program schedules a Power 5 non-conference opponent. That would definitely generate more fan interest, might even get us on tv, and would probably give us a better benchmark heading into the teeth of the conference slate.

Greywolf
    Participant

You know, like how the Wolfpack played in 2013 was a perfect indicator of how they would play in 2014. We should always look in the rear view mirror to see where we are going.

freshmanin83
    Participant

The article quoted said with great specificity that N.C. State has the weakest schedule. That is too much specificity for a guess for my taste. If not for you cool just stating my opinion.

pakfanistan
    Participant

Since no one will say it, “To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.”

StateFans
    Keymaster

It depends on the year. It’s not in the best long-term interest of the program to go out and get spanked against Ohio State (like VPI did) while playing 24 freshmen. Particularly if the scheduling of such game could potentially have an impact on a wind total that makes the difference between a bowl.

It’s in the best long-term interest of the program to win enough games to qualify for a bowl and be able to get an extra month of practice for a team that only has a couple of dozen upperclassman.

pack_time
    Participant

Mista Wolf-
    Not only do we have a legitimate shot at 7-0 Clemson has a chance at being undefeated as well. On that weekend the only other marquee College Gameday caliber games are:
    Georgia vs Florida
    Michigan vs Minnesota
    Possibly an FCS option which Gameday has done before.
    And State vs Clemson
    Our game will most like be the only game of two undefeated teams.
    College Gameday is what helps the program long term. With a win and that exposure against a team like Clemson, Halloween could be real fun this year!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.