What antivirus software do you recommend?

Home Forums StateFans Non Sports Talk What antivirus software do you recommend?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    primacyone
    Participant

Time to move to a new Antivirus Software application.

What is the best available currently, free or paid?

highstick
    Participant

Kaspersky…the paid version.

"Whomp 'em, Up, Side the Head"!

MrPlywood
    Participant

OS X 😉

Red Baron
    Participant

There’s nuthin’ that’ll kill that virus in Chapel Hell!

primacyone
    Participant

I’ve been a Norton Pro user for several years, but it has gotten to the point that it bogs down by computer to a point I can’t take anymore.

I was looking at Panda, Kaspersky, and bitdefender. This is for the home computers.

YogiNC
    Participant

MalwareBytes. The home premium version is very low cost and it is the best out there bar none. Corporate has McAfee and the IT guys use Malwarebytes to recover the laptops when they get infected because McAfee didn’t protect them. It’s the only one I’ve seen that will absolutely kill the Root virus on the first get go. I’ve been using it for years on my home systems and my wife was notorious for getting bugs from emails from her friends and junk on facebook. MalwareBytes kills ’em all. IMO it’s the Raid of virus protection, it kills bugs dead!

Smarter than the average bear

Gowolves
    Participant

AVG is probably the best freeware on the market.

tractor57
    Participant

I’ve been pleased with AVAST and also with AVG. Not so happy with Norton or McAfee.

YogiNC
    Participant

Well I make my living with these things, and I can’t afford a virus especially when doing web pages and such. I had AVG installed and got the rootkit virus. Tried numerous ways to get rid of it but only MalwareBytes succeeded. There is a free version, but the cost is so low I like the extra features of the pro version. The lifetime version is 40.00 for the pro.

ncsu1987
    Participant

I use Avast on OS/X. Has been great for the family herd of Macs.

BassPacker
    Participant

YogiNC, can you provide a link to MalwareBytes lifetime version? Only one I can find is a one year sub for $24.95.

WolfmanBob
    Participant

BassPacker, from MalwareBytes FAQ:

Can I buy a lifetime license of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium?

With the switch to a subscription license model, Malwarebytes will not be selling any more lifetime licenses. The new subscription model allows you to protect up to three PCs with one license

tractor57
    Participant

As the model is to react rather than being proactive (probably reasonable but …) any AV system can be open. I like AVAST but also periodically use the various on line scanners as part of my plan. It seems all are subject to bloat. That has been espeically true with Norton and McAfee.

YogiNC
    Participant

Amazon has them still. They are running low on remaining inventory though. their free version is pretty darned good though. One thing that theirs does that I have not seen many others do is download and run the software and installation even if you have a bug on the machine. Lots of viruses block the ability to download virus killers.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.