Wednesday … the NEW Friday!!

Home Forums All StateFansNation Wednesday … the NEW Friday!!

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 78 total)
  • Author
    WV Wolf
    Keymaster

This is pretty damning as well. From the New York Times article

In November 2009, Ms. Reynolds and other members of the academic support program convened a meeting of the football coaches to discuss how the departure of Ms. Crowder would affect the players’ academic standing. The counselors and coaches were “painfully aware,” the report said, “that Crowder’s retirement would require the whole football program to adjust to a new reality of having to meet academic requirements with real academic work.”

In the meeting, two members of the football counseling staff explained to the assembled coaches that the classes “had played a large role in keeping underprepared and/or unmotivated players eligible to play.” To emphasize this point, they presented a PowerPoint demonstration in which one of the slides asked and then answered the question, “What was part of the solution in the past?”

“We put them in classes that met degree requirements in which … they didn’t go to class … they didn’t have to take notes, have to stay awake … they didn’t have to meet with professors … they didn’t have to pay attention or necessarily engage with the material,” the slide said. “THESE NO LONGER EXIST!”

freshmanin83
    Participant

Lack of institutional control?

Mike
    Participant

I heard some of the press conference. While there was a lot of pointing fingers at the AFAM dept and the 2 rogues, there was other incriminating evidence. Obvious there was still some deflection and denials nad maybe some did not tell all they knew, but this sounds pretty hurtful.

In spite if how incriminating it is, my prediction is nothing further happens, but South Dakota Northeastern State will get 7 years of probation for this.

wufpup76
    Keymaster

I heard some of the press conference. While there was a lot of pointing fingers at the AFAM dept and the 2 rogues, there was other incriminating evidence. Obvious there was still some deflection and denials nad maybe some did not tell all they knew, but this sounds pretty hurtful.

In spite if how incriminating it is, my prediction is nothing further happens, but South Dakota Northeastern State will get 7 years of probation for this.

So, a whitewash – as many figured it would be? Ho hum.

Gowolves
    Participant

In my opinion it is not a whitewash. I think this will do some severe damage. Of course what do I know.

wufpup76
    Keymaster

In my opinion it is not a whitewash. I think this will do some severe damage. Of course what do I know.

^I hope you are correct. Some justice is better than no justice, I suppose 🙁

redisgood
    Participant

Fox Sports: UNC probe reveals academic fraud over span of nearly 20 years

ESPN: UNC probe reveals academic fraud over span of nearly 20 years

Yahoo Sports: 1,500 athletes in UNC academic fraud

USA Today: North Carolina probe: Advisers steered athletes to bogus classes

The Sporting News: Academic fraud at UNC stretched from Mack Brown to Butch Davis tenures

Me: This is gonna be fun.

nav
    Participant

I have to admit. The report seems on the up-and-up. Wainstein seemed to have done a very good job. In the end, nothing will happen to UNC from the NCAA unless the SI’s, ESPN’s, and such of the world create such a media outcry for the NCAA to do something, that they have no choice but to act. Similiar to the Penn St situation where the NCAA had to act. Won’t happen.

YogiNC
    Participant

The number of people who knew AND took advantage of the system both as students and those who were staff of some sort is astounding. While Crowder may have been at the top lots of people who should have known better said nothing OR abused the system. Systemic cheating. The NCAA SHOULD crucify that institution for TOTAL lack of institutional control. Death sentence to football, basketball and women’s basketball. This is the absolute worst case of cheating of any sorts anywhere.

Smarter than the average bear

Gowolves
    Participant

The only problem I have with this report is how it goes out of it’s way to protect Roy. It’s easy to throw past employees and former coaches under the bus.

WTNY
    Participant

Matt Doherty is a former Tar Heel player who went on to coach at the University of Notre Dame before being recruited to Chapel Hill as head coach in 2000. Doherty explained that upon assuming the coaching position, he inherited the academic support system developed by prior coaches Dean Smith and Bill Guthridge. That system had academic oversight being handled by McSwain, the counselor with close ties to Debby Crowder. While he felt free to make significant changes to the rest of the team’s coaching and support staff, Doherty was told by Smith and Guthridge, who both had a continued presence on campus,, that he should not change the academic support system. As a result, the McSwain-Crowder pipeline continued to operate, and there were 42 enrollments of men’s basketball players in paper classes during Doherty’s tenure.

From PackPride. Haven’t validated. But if true, BOOM! Started with the nose!

wufpup76
    Keymaster

^The more I hear from excerpts of the press conference and read various sources online then the report does not come across as a whitewash.

That said, I’d still be surprised as far as actual NCAA punishment. People may lose jobs and the reputation is tarnished, but it still seems that they will have basically gotten away with institutional cheating.

MrPlywood
    Participant

Listened to Jay Mohr sports this morning re: this story, and he commented “This looks like an academic issue, right?” For the life of me I don’t understand how people cannot connect the dots. Regardless, the fact the anyone within the athletic program was aware of the “academic support system” means that they are culpable, and that should anyone be shown to be ineligible had they not recieved a sham grade then banners should come down.

Still not holding my breath.

wufpup76
    Keymaster

Wayne Walden: ‘I have no recollection of this.’

LOL.

In other words – ‘I knew we were cheating, helped keep guys available for Roy, but I don’t really remember ever really telling Roy about it.’

He’s The Unknown Stuntman … The Fall Guy.

Hungwolf
    Participant

Wayne Walden is to Roy same as Black Santa was to Butch Davis! Jon Boxell counselor to basketball admitted wrong doing. The players knew, tutors knew, administrators knew, ….. yea McCants was right….everyone knew. Given the headlines coming out, I don’t see how the NCAA can ignore this, I mean look at what they did to FSU! Here’s the kicker. This started in the early 1990, John Swofford was AD at UNC. Once a slime ball always a slime ball!

redisgood
    Participant

ESPN Outside The Lines will be examining UNC’s academic fraud. Airs at 5:30 on ESPN2.

BloggerEsquire
    Participant

Link to the Final Wainstein Report – pdf

Curious why it’s dated October 16th, but just being released today almost a week later.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Per Wral.com… it appears Ms.Boxill
    (former Women’s BB coach, current Dean of College of Arts and Sciences and “Faculty Leader”
    ( yes.. AFAM is a dept of CAS )
    “may” no longer working for the Tarheels…

see last sentence under “Basketball” here

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    tractor57
    Participant

Local radio news picked up on a single point -of the students that received those grades at least half were scholarship athletes. Is going back to 1993 far enough back to include some of Dean’s BB players? I know that is close to time he retired but I’m not sure of the exact date. Spin this anyway you want it is a pretty damning report.

wirogers
    Participant

I do not know how you can say there is ‘Lack of Institutional Control’ in this situation, it looks to me like the Institution was in complete control of everything. My Penn State Friends ‘Hate’ UNX I think more than I do after reading this and knowing that nothing will happen to them.

Wufpacker
    Participant

^^ Dean coached thru ’96-’97 season so….yes.
    Not to mention the portion quoted above by WTNY.

wufpup76
    Keymaster

^^Dean retired in ’97, tractor.

There is an excerpt somewhere in the report that state that Doherety wanted to make changes to the way things were run after he took over for Guthridge. Dean and Guthridge were still prevalent within the program and told Doh to change what he wants but that the academic counseling aspect should stay in place as is. This facilitated a continuance of the academic ‘scheme’.

tractor57
    Participant

Thanks for the info. I moved to Burlington in ’92 and I knew Smith retired sometime after that but with my swiss cheese memory …

As to the chances of anything significant regarding any punishment for the school or the leaders – I think not much of a chance. Sacrificial lambs already in place.

highstick
    Participant

You forgot the obvious part…They fired the wrong guy when the fired Doherty! He was messin’ with Dean and Gutheridge’s scam!

You guys really must have quit paying attention some time ago?????? If it’s this bad, you can be sure the whole truth has still not come out!

"Whomp 'em, Up, Side the Head"!

highstick
    Participant

Link to the Final Wainstein Report – pdf

Curious why it’s dated October 16th, but just being released today almost a week later.

Damage control and coordinating lies before it was released!!

"Whomp 'em, Up, Side the Head"!

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 78 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.