Way Too Early Top 25 Shows State Football Will Be Challenged

Home Forums StateFans Football Way Too Early Top 25 Shows State Football Will Be Challenged

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Wulfpack
    Participant

We are now less than 100 days from the start of the college football season.

ESPN has released its way too early top 25 heading into the season.

If this top 25 is any indication, State football is going to be challenged. Six of State’s opponents are ranked, with three in the top 10.

2. Clemson
    4. FSU
    8. Notre Dame
    18. UNC
    24. Miami
    25. Louisville

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/15994654/alabama-crimson-tide-no-1-tennessee-volunteers-moved-top-10-tcu-horned-frogs-surge

Pack1997
    Participant

Challenged yes, but also an opportunity. Now we get to see exactly where we are as a program, and how close or far away we truly are.

wolfpack92owen
    Participant

I would like to see us win at least 2 of those. That would show a great deal of promise and optimism. Lose all 6 and I just dont know what to say.

tractor57
    Participant

Woe or opportunity? Two sides of the same coin.

tjfoose1
    Participant

Doeren could have his best team, yet have a losing record in 2016 and no job come 2017.

For even a modest 7 wins, we may need an All ACC caliber type year from our QB or Dayes/Frasier, if not both.

8 wins and Doeren has impressed… 9 or more, he gets serious consideration for ACC coach of the year

StateRed44
    Participant

I think he’s lucky to have a job this year. Recruiting hasn’t been what was promised. How Dabo Swinney outrecruits everybody and their brother is beyond my understanding. Doeren seems “low energy” compared to both him and Red Bull down the road.

phcqmfd
    Participant

Cause Dabo and clem pay much much better than anyone but FSU. Dabo understands win the mamas, pay everyone else.

tjfoose1
    Participant

I think he’s lucky to have a job this year. Recruiting hasn’t been what was promised.

Lucky? No. No competent AD would have fired him.

How Dabo Swinney outrecruits everybody and their brother is beyond my understanding.

I always thought it was pretty obvious.

Pack1997
    Participant

If I had to pick between Dabo or DD it is a no brainer. Dabo relates to everyone, has a strong story to tell about overcoming adversity and doing it the right way throughout. Throw that in with best resources and great tradition for the school and you have a good recruiting. What story do we tell? How do we distinguish ourselves from everyone else. We have to pay for an elite coach or be happy with the same old results. Hopefully some of the many players we have had in the NFL as they retire get into coaching and become great, thats the only hope I think we have.

Wolfanatic
    Participant

I don’t disagree with you Pack 1997, but I recall back in 2010 when Clemmons fans were screaming for Dabo’s head. Cooler heads prevailed, obviously, and since then he’s 56-12, 4-1 in bowls and a final rank inside the top 25 each year. Now, that’s not to say DD will match that. Only time will tell. Mind you, not long after I graduated State (1976) I lived in Clemmons and their facilities back then were no better that ours..Questionable tactics by Charley Pell and Betty, I mean Danny Ford, helped to move their program ahead of ours, and give them some of that “tradition.” One never knows, DD may yet prove to be an elite coach. No one would have used those two words to refer to Dabo in 2010..

tractor57
    Participant

I moved near to tiggetown in 1979 and as such saw the evolution of the facilities there. Spent some time on campus and with the local fanbase. Some shady things happened and some of those were completely out of the control of the admin. Others were an issue with athletics admin. I suspect such happens in all major programs. I will say a game day at tiggertown is an event – we are a long way behind there. I have no information on Daba other than what we all see on TV. He strikes me as a good if not great coach. We might be saying the same about coach D in a few years or he might be tossed to the trash heap.

BJD95
    Keymaster

All Dabo does is talk to the mommas/grandmas. He’s an absolute moe-ron. Talk to any even mildly connected Clemson booster sometime.

He’s a great figurehead, though. Definitely attracts media attention and keeps eyes away from the IPTAY crowd…

Gowolves
    Participant

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.