VT says farewell to Johnson

Home Forums StateFans Basketball VT says farewell to Johnson

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    1.21 Jigawatts
    Keymaster

Virginia Tech sends basketball coach James Johnson packing

An ACC basketball coach received his pink slip on Monday. But sorry Wake Forest fans, it wasn’t Jeff Bzdelik.

That might also happen sooner rather than later, but for now, it’s Virginia Tech that got a head start on the competition by parting ways with James Johnson.

The decision certainly had merit given the fact that Johnson’s Hokies finished 12th in a 12-team league last season and 15th in a 15-team league this year. But because he was only on the job for two seasons, there are those who believe that Johnson got an unfairly quick hook despite an unsightly 22-41 overall record (6-30 ACC).

wilmwolf80
    Participant

Seemed to me his hire was just a desperation stopgap to keep from losing all of Greenberg’s recruits. I see a Greenberg type coach as being about the best they are going to do there, and I’m not sure who is out there available in the current landscape that fits the bill. Seems harsh to give the guy the hook after only two years, but it was probably inevitable with a new AD coming in wanting to make their own hire.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

I can’t imagine that this surprised anyone.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Buzz Williams to VT.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster
    Wulfpack
    Participant

A fine hire. These schools left out of the power conferences are going to see their coaches leave.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.