Use of TO's: Right or wrong?

Home Forums StateFans Football Use of TO's: Right or wrong?

Tagged: 

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Greywolf
    Participant

I don’t know about you guys but almost everything I know about football Time Outs I learned from watching television on Sunday.

In Sunday’s N&O Giglio gave an accurate account of Doeren’s use of the TO’s. Lville almost blocked a punt earlier and Doeren didn’t like what he saw when we were lined up to punt the next time and he burned a TO to correct it. I agree with the use of the TO as a blocked punt would have been disastrous.

The second TO was called to correct positioning of the defense. His instructions were not communicated correctly (his words taking responsibility for the mis-communication) and he called another TO to get the players in the positions he wanted. L’ville was stopped – yes, three and out – and forced to take a field goal. With Hux in the press box and Doeren working the sidelines our defense started to show up even with all the freshmen on the field.

We don’t know what would have happened if Doeren had NOT called a time out. Maybe our young defense would have stopped Lville even out of position. I don’t personally think so.

Regardless, Doeren is teaching as well as managing time outs. If we had 3 TO’s to use, I’m not sure we could have stopped L’ville and had time to go the length of the field to score a TD to win. We are not talking about GSU or ODU here.

I have a question for those of you who are dead certain Doeren mis-used his TO’s: Would you have even seen the flaws in our alignments that Doeren called TO’s to correct?

There is a lot more to coaching than using the knowledge we gain watching football on Sunday. I suggest finding out what the coaches are thinking or why they did what they did THEN giving our opinion of their mis-management of aspects of the game. This isn’t Pee Wee football in the Faison Church League.

YogiNC
    Participant

This isn’t Pee Wee football in the Faison Church League.

Classic line Grey. Part and parcel to the blogs is there are TONS of Monday morning QBs. Most of us (me included) don’t have a freaking clue what is actually occurring when we sit in the stands or worse sitting at home on the sofa listening to the talking heads who think they have a clue when 95% of the time they are just talking to hear themselves talk.
    I’ve played football on a championship team in high school, I’ve done play by play for high schools for over 8 years when I was in radio. Considering that experience there were more times then I’d like to imagine when I didn’t have a freaking clue. One of the coaches along my path had been on my butt about people telling him things I’d said on the radio about situations in game. He wound up having someone record one of their games and then invited me over for dinner to as he put it “have a friendly discussion” about the game coverage. It was anything but friendly. But I learned a heck of a lot. Then he offered me something that I jumped at. For the home games he had another headset installed in the radio press box. We had a kid on the headphones listening to what they were saying and it was incredible. Our only thing was we could not say BEFORE hand what was going to be done. Needless to say I loved knowing what was coming, it made my play by play SO much better (imagine that?). the biggest thing I learned from that experience was coaches are making tons of decisions in 10 – 15 seconds. Imagine you in your job doing that. Very few have that kind of pressure on them. I know I don’t and there are times when an hour or a day is not enough.

Smarter than the average bear

tjfoose1
    Participant

Given the situations, of course the TO’s should have been called. The relevant question is “How and why did those situations arise?”

I’m a DD supporter, but the punt formation comment did NOT help DD. His concerns should have been addressed immediately after the punt to which he referred. IMMEDIATELY AFTER. If not then, then certainly at half time. No excuse for it to have not been. If there wasn’t a mechanism in place for it to be addressed either during the first half or at least during half time, then that’s on DD too. DD stepped in it with that comment.

I’ve watched DD. He’s the HEAD COACH. Perhaps he’s sometimes too busy micro managing and coaching players on the field when he should be doing more head coaching stuff, for example, communicating with his special teams coach concerns he has about the punt formation so that the next time the punt unit goes out onto the field, the concerns have already been addressed and the adjustments already made.

I counted, including GA’s, DD has 14 additional coaches on his staff, 3 of which coach special teams. They all have game day responsibilities. Perhaps DD should let ’em do them. Either that, or get new assistants.

I’m willing to bet DD would admit to this as something he needs to work on. But that’s just a hunch.

Just my 2 cents, for what they’re worth these days.

And I’m still a DD supporter. No coach is perfect, unless he’s sitting in the stands. I understand that.

tjfoose1
    Participant

I would like to watch one of those games.

Greywolf
    Participant

I’ve watched DD. He’s the HEAD COACH. Perhaps he’s sometimes too busy micro managing and coaching players on the field when he should be doing more head coaching stuff, for example, communicating with his special teams coach concerns he has about the punt formation so that the next time the punt unit goes out onto the field, the concerns have already been addressed and the adjustments already made.

foose, it’s highly likely you are right on about this. I see it in video of practice as well. Not so much with the offense but with the defense. In due time if this issue is not corrected, Doeren will lose good defensive assistants.

My post was more directed to the actual need to call timeouts, but did not address the overall picture.

I would like to watch one of those games.

foose, you are as big a smart-arse as I am. 😉

tjfoose1
    Participant

Not so much with the offense but with the defense.

Yup. He’s a D coach. It’s difficult to stand by and just watch, I get it. But this is something he needs to work on. This is not this first time game mgmt has suffered because he’s been occupied at the micro level without someone covering his macro duties.

He pretty much is hands-off with the O.

But it’s difficult for most who came up on the D side to not want to critique, teach, and coach every play if you see something not done correctly. And there’s a lot of ‘not done correctly’ going on with this D.

You can’t really tell if watching on TV. Im fortunate enogh to have midfield tickets right behind the NC State bench, 15th row. Perfect perspective to watch all the sidelines goings on. Anyone who can, watch DD when the NC State D is on the field. You’ll see what I mean.

But then, perhaps, this is not DD SOP. Maybe this is a reaction to the current state of the D. Regardless, there needs to be some tweaking to the sideline management processes. I suspect there will be.

Greywolf
    Participant

Sh*t foose, we need to get on the same thread, lol. I just wrote a ton on the game day thread — mostly talking to myself but in response to Chop. In part dealing with the dynamics of the D coaching and possibly how DD interfaces with Hux. To accomplish what he wants to accomplish on defense, he is going to have to design the defense himself. Hux can’t do it. For now I’m cutting him some slack while he gets it all organized or whatever you would call it.

DD needs one of those “Associate Head Coaches” or something like that. I doubt we can afford all that he needs right now . I really believe those days are coming when we will want to pay what needs to be paid. Doeren is smart enough to know this and work within the boundaries until we get there. I’ve said ‘This ain’t Kansas, Tocho.’ Well, this ain’t Alabama either.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.