USA Today: NC State Football #88

Home Forums All StateFansNation USA Today: NC State Football #88

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    StateFans
    Keymaster

It is that time of year when college football previews start to litter the landscape and help us all set our sites on the upcoming season. We are alre
    [See the full post at: USA Today: NC State Football #88]

13OT
    Participant

We’re number 88?

That’s a big improvement over last season, but we’re a long way from an overall winning season, let alone any meaningful bowls. Saying that our cupboard was left almost bare by TOB was sugar-coating it.

I’ve bought my season tickets for the 19th consecutive season, and although I plan to continue basketball for at least two more seasons, I’m done with football after November 15. I do not see any significant improvement on the gridiron in at least 4 or 5 seasons, if that soon. The Georgia Southern game on August 30 could well ruin our season before it even starts.

They can analyze Wolfpack football 88 different ways, but the problem remains that we simply didn’t have and still don’t have any really good FOOTBALL PLAYERS. Say what you want about the MOC and CTC teams, but at least we did have a few players on the field who could generate geniune excitement and change games with big plays. Not now. If Doeren can’t recruit good players in numbers or at least bring in a few big-play people, he won’t be around as long as his predecessor.

Virginia Wolf
    Participant

130T, well said and I agree completely. I’ve had season tickets for 23 years and this is my last, for the same reasons you mentioned. IMHO, this is the worst coach we’ve had since Tom Reed! The schedule is laughable and so will the attendance be. After losing the Ga. Southern game, it will be all downhill from there. I’ve just decided its not the way I want to spend my hard earned cash.

eas
    Participant

Time will tell and that time is approaching fast. Plain and simple last season was horrid. The no huddle offense was a cluster that moved at a snails pace. That being said it was new and operating on QB’s not well suited for it. I am a big fan of the no huddle and it was clear RW as well as Glennon did well in it (in other words when we were playing come back). This year “should” be much more polished with the no huddle.

Anyway, I like the efforts and drive of the DD crew thus far. However, results are what we are looking for. As long as this year is far from last year we will be satisfied. Anything close to the same product will send SFN (and me) through the roof. People will not continue to pay for the current product nor one very similar.

blpack
    Participant

Seemed like a fair article. We have a long way to go to be good again. Last season took the wind out of a lot of fans sails. Being historically bad will do that. This year I’d love to get to 6 wins at least, but I just want to see improvement. We will have a very young team and player development and recruiting like crazy are huge for the Pack. I think DD will give us some hope; I bet most fans will be excited when August rolls around.

13OT
    Participant

I bet they won’t.

blpack
    Participant

Time will tell my friend.

BJD95
    Keymaster

Well, I suppose we will be popular with white supremacist prison gangs this season. 88 is prison tattoo code for “HH” or “Heil, Hitler.”

The more you know…

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

The delusionally optimistic are excited at the start of every season. All too often, that excitement is extremely short-lived.

Gowolves
    Participant

Heck at this point I will just be excited for football to be back on! This time of year SUCKS!

1.21 Jigawatts
    Keymaster

The delusionally optimistic are excited at the start of every season. All too often, that excitement is extremely short-lived.

Something about last year finally pushed me out of the delusionally optimistic group.

Pack85EE
    Participant

I’d rather be delusionally optimistic than morbidly pessimistic.

In the last 15 years or so, NCSU has gone as their QB has gone. That is probably because we have maintained something close to average talent and a High end QB has put us in bowels and during the QB gaps, we have sucked. Last year was no different. I think if our starting QB had stayed healthy, he would performed better in the heat of the ACC. But as article stated, lack of depth showed as injuries piled up. O Brian’s last couple recruiting years sucked and it showed but all the talk is like we are way behind everyone. You guys talk of Louisville as if they are world beaters. We beat them in a bowel a few years ago. I expect us to be back even with them in a couple years. You talk like we have no talent. I disagree. I really believe we will beat the 5 win estimate. If the QB is as good as suggested, which is not superstar but solidly good, I think it likely we win the usual 7 or 8 games.
    But some of you guys wrote off any chance from the Basketball team making the tournament with 6 games to go. In my delusionally optimistic way I kept saying we had a chance. I actually thought we needed one more win in the ACC Tourney so even I was surprised at the end. Some of you guys must have been floored.
    In the words of (was is screwball?) Sutherland from Kelly’s Heroes, “Quit with your negative waves, man”

cowpack
    Participant

I gave up my season tickets in 2012 after 33 years of hoping that we may one day be very good. It came in very short intervals and never lasted. Now with a young coach I have some optimism even with last year’s disaster since I feel the talent level had gone to rock bottom with the previous coaching staff. Saying that I think it will take more than 1 or 2 years to be very competitive again.

4in12
    Participant

…has put us in bowels…

I guess that explains the NC State sh**.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

I’d rather be delusionally optimistic than morbidly pessimistic.

I strive for realism and will get excited after I see something…well exciting.

Wulfpack
    Participant

The odds are it isn’t going to happen any time soon, if at all. We are who we are. How that changes overnight, I have no idea. Yow is right, FSU, Clemson and Lville are miles ahead. But we need to first concern ourselves with beating the BCs, Wakes, Cuse, etc. We’re just not very good.

BJD95
    Keymaster

I would LOVE IT if we had average talent. We don’t. Even by ACC standards.

MrPlywood
    Participant

Junior’s car is #88, and yesterday he won for the second time in 2014, which is equivalent to State football going 11-1 or maybe undefeated, so there’s that.

Fastback68
    Participant

Pack85. It was Oddball. The only way to keep those tigers busy is to run around and let them shoot holes in me. Hopefully, that won’t happen to our qb in Clempson this year.

Wufpacker
    Participant

But some of you guys wrote off any chance from the Basketball team making the tournament with 6 games to go. In my delusionally optimistic way I kept saying we had a chance. I actually thought we needed one more win in the ACC Tourney so even I was surprised at the end. Some of you guys must have been floored.

Still am, actually.

PackerInRussia
    Participant

I prefer what I call “sentimental optimism.” I have a hope for winning that’s connected to my love for all-things NC State. But, it’s far enough removed from being “pragmatically optimistic” that when they wind up losing, I’m not surprised or disappointed. It helps me be happy and enjoy a game without really caring if/when they lose. I think it also helps to live 5,000 miles away. It’s easy to be philosophical about losing when you don’t have to hear it from co-workers the next day.

WolftownVA81
    Participant

I always hope for the best and mentally prepare for the worst. Does that make me a bad fan? How far removed we are from the days when you could go to a game (in any revenue sport) with a reasonable expection of winning at home at it being a toss up on the road. Point of reference – my wife and I graduated in 1981. Now that we’re getting to the point in life when we have a few extra bucks to spend (and more time soon I hope), I’d love to spend them seeing our team but I need to see some progress. Otherwise, we’ll continue to support from our couch. Appathy builds gradually over time and is a very hard thing to turn around. Counting on you Dave to bring back the excitement. Go Pack.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.