UNC-CHeats: Rising faculty frustration

Home Forums All StateFansNation UNC-CHeats: Rising faculty frustration

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    StateFans
    Keymaster

DTH: Calls for more transparency

Dean, who has served as the voice of the administration the past few weeks, faced a larger crowd during an hour-long discussion with the faculty executive committee Monday, where faculty members urged a more transparent response to the allegations than what previous administrations had done.

Since the CNN report last week called into question the literacy of UNC’s student athletes, the NCAA, Dean and men’s basketball coach Roy Williams have expressed their doubts about the accuracy of the study cited. Officials say they still haven’t received the data from the woman at the center of it all, former athletic tutor Mary Willingham.

“My impression from what I’ve read is that our responses have been framed in a way that looks at the weeds, or the leaves on the trees, rather than the forest,” said Steve Bachenheimer, a microbiology professor and committee member.

“A fraction of students read or write in a level that is not dissimilar to descriptions in the paper. I’m wondering why the University doesn’t own that and use that as a starting position.”

Gregory Copenhaver, a biology professor on the committee, said the current response was eroding the UNC brand.

“But if we take the hit, step up and own it, and do everything we can to say, ‘This is Ground Zero, we’re going to build from here’ … If you own it, you maintain value of the brand.”

LRM
    Keymaster

That kind of response would require accountability, which spits in the face of The Carolina Way.

wilmwolf80
    Participant

This is from a meeting hosted by Provost James Dean. The same man that suggested that perhaps there was a campus wide problem with literacy, and not just with student athletes. I don’t know how the students there are not rioting in the streets right now. The Provost of your university, the one person that is supposed to put academics before every thing else, just threw the academic standing of the entire university under the bus to protect the athletic department. If you are a person that is graduating with a degree from Chapel Hill, and the PROVOST suggests aloud that the entire student body has a literacy problem, how do you refrain from punching him in the face?

NCSU88
    Participant

“If you own it, you maintain value of the brand.”

I don’t get why they are hung up on the brand thing. Just do the right thing and the rest will take of itself. If you get into trying to maintain an image or brand, then you find yourself where they are now. Shakes head.

PackerInRussia
    Participant

I don’t get why they are hung up on the brand thing.

There are two ways to come out looking good in life: 1) Do things the right way 2) Do things whichever way works paying no mind to right or wrong, but always controlling your image so that only the good shines through. People in the first category have trouble understanding what’s wrong with people in the second category. People in the second category assume everyone else cuts corners just like they do.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.