Trevor Lacey: "I Know I'm an underdog"

Home Forums StateFans Basketball Trevor Lacey: "I Know I'm an underdog"

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Wufpacker
    Participant

NC State’s Lacey on NBA draft: ‘I know I’m an underdog’ (NewsObserver.com)

Lacey, who will turn 24 in October, said his age was a factor in leaving school with one year of eligibility remaining.

“I’m just ready to start my life,” said Lacey, who spent the first two years of his college career at Alabama. “A lot of people question (the decision) or maybe say that I’m not ready. I’m an older guy, and I’m ready for wherever it takes me.”

[snip]

While N.C. State would have been one of the favorites to win the ACC next season if Lacey had returned, he said building on last season’s success was no sure thing.

“If we have one of those crazy seasons where we fall off, then what?” Lacey said.

Lacey said one NBA coach told him he made the right decision, based on his age, to start his pro career.

The question now for Lacey is where will that be? The NBA is his goal but he said if he has to start his career in Europe, he welcomes the chance to make enough money to help his mother, Freda, who works as a nurse in Huntsville, Ala.

“I’d do anything to help her,” Lacey said.

TheCOWDOG

All he needs is his Polly Purebred.

tractor57
    Participant

Oh where has my Underdog gone?

pakfanistan
    Participant

Dare I say he’s a dark horse candidate to make the NBA?

choppack1
    Participant

Hell, he couldn’t have been much worse than j.r. Smith.

TheCOWDOG

…Life in a heatwave.

…And it’s only June!

highstick
    Participant

Guess he should have served in the military and not gotten out to start my education again until almost 25. I understand I may have lost 4 years in my career because of Vietnam, but probably gained 8 years in experience and maturity.

Now I can definitely understand “tired of being young and broke” though.

"Whomp 'em, Up, Side the Head"!

Wulfpack
    Participant

Lacey wasn’t drafted.

WolfWiz11
    Participant

Sounds like Trevor didn’t have faith in the process. And when you don’t have faith in the process, you set yourself up to fail. He would have gotten major press next year; All-ACC maybe. At the very least, he could have been part of another special run in the tourney, which would propel his name.

Look, most nurses make decent money. My mom’s a nurse. But he made a hard choice and hopefully it pans out.

Wulfpack
    Participant

He made the decision he thought was best. He’s an older dude, and he will make good money overseas. It has nothing to do with visibility. The NBA Draft is entirely about talent. NBA execs and scouts know exactly who Lacey is 10 times over, I guarantee you. That’s their job to know. They find guys in cracks in Europe and all the Congo and all over the place. And there are countless stories of guys that came back for another year and stunk it up or got injured. It’s never an easy decision. All the best to him.

freshmanin83
    Participant

I was hoping he would be drafted. It would have been good for him and for recruiting.

newclass
    Participant

Trevor will play for the Cavs in the Orlando Summer league (has the same agent as Lebron)

Turner will be playing for the Hornets

Wufpacker
    Participant

^Apparently along with Quinn Cook, though according to this link, Cook is playing for both Cleveland and OKC (Cleve seems to be the truth, btw, despite the article leading with the OKC snippet…go figure).

And Lacey won’t easily escape the second guessing:

3. Trevor Lacey should have attempted to be next season’s Jerian Grant

The 6-3 guard wasn’t selected in Thursday night’s NBA Draft at the Barclays Center and bypassed the opportunity to return to NC State for his final season of eligibility. Had Lacey come back to school as he should have, he would have been a legitimate candidate for ACC Player of the Year and a potential All-American. All players want to get to the next level as soon as possible, but Lacey (15.7 points, 4.6 rebounds, 3.5 assists last season) should have returned to Raleigh in an effort to have the same type of impact for the Wolfpack next season that Grant had for Notre Dame this past year. The Alabama native had all the chops be one of the better players in college basketball as a fifth-year senior, but instead now both he and the Wolfpack wind up as losers: Lacey didn’t get drafted and NC State has a major void on the wing heading into next season. It’s hard not to think of what could have been in Raleigh with Lacey in the fold.

All things considered though, I can’t blame him. But it would have been nice to have him in Raleigh in five months.

There’s also a blurb near the bottom of that CBSSports.com link re: Kyle Washington and his visits (Cincy, Marquette and Providence, FWIW).

Didn’t see this ’til this morning. Would have sounded good for about 16 hours though.
    Why Trevor Lacey will be selected in the 2015 NBA Draft

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.