Top motivational speaker who isn’t Wolfman Jack speaks to the Pack

Home Forums All StateFansNation Top motivational speaker who isn’t Wolfman Jack speaks to the Pack

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    StateFans
    Keymaster

Wow. This really is powerful. From 24/7: Motivational speaker Eric Thomas addressed the NC State football team on Monday night. One of the most passio
    [See the full post at: Top motivational speaker who isn’t Wolfman Jack speaks to the Pack]

PackFamily
    Participant

Great speech and didn’t once have to say “the sands of times”

#December1998gradsknowwhati’mtalkinabout

john of sparta
    Participant

sorry.
    this looks bad to me.
    the last three motivational speakers hired
    by the companies i worked for at the time,
    presaged the problems to come. bottom line:
    motivation is within. to quote Yoda:
    “do. or do not. there is no try.”

BJD95
    Keymaster

I am in favor of Yoda as the next motivational speaker.

I am even more in favor of more and better talent, which is hopefully on the way.

We gonna suck again this season.

tjfoose1
    Participant

Try not… do, or do not. There is no try.

Would never make it in the movie if made today.

ruffles31
    Keymaster

The speaker is making me pumped up.

Wufpacker
    Participant

The speaker is making me pumped up.

The speaker is making me annoyed.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Whatever it takes to get the kids going….

But just for the sake of argument…
    Is it not true that anything that needs that much ‘pumping up’ is fundamentally flawed over the long term?

Is it not true that external motivation has certain addictive qualities…. such as the need for more and more frequent doses to achieve the same results?

Is it possible to just be good at what you do and take care of business without a lot of external rah, rah, rah?

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    Wufpacker
    Participant

But just for the sake of argument…
    Is it not true that anything that needs that much ‘pumping up’ is fundamentally flawed over the long term?

Is it not true that external motivation has certain addictive qualities…. such as the need for more and more frequent doses to achieve the same results?

Is it possible to just be good at what you do and take care of business without a lot of external rah, rah, rah?

I dunno about all of that, but I do know that predators are good at hunting because they have to be, not because they ‘want’ to be. Plus, they eat things that have already been wounded all the time. Easy meal = Good meal.

Mr. Thomas ain’t no Marlin Perkins.

TheCOWDOG

” Watch as Jim runs a 7 yrd slant into the territory of an aggressive dropping linebacker.”

pakfanistan
    Participant

But just for the sake of argument…<br>

I think that’s true to an extent, but I also think that getting pumped up is a skill, and one that can be taught.

Naturally there will be variation from individual to individual, but the successful athletes I know (and marines) have an internal switch they flip when it’s go time.

BJD95
    Keymaster

As a “services” professional, I’ve been lectured by many client development people about sales/marketing jargon. So anytime I hear anything of the sort, my flesh crawls.

wolf2003
    Participant

Sometimes outside motivators other than coaches or teammates you see on a daily basis can be helpful long term. You never stop learning on a daily basis. New ways to deal with adversity or obstacles. I agree that majority of motivation and desire should come within.

I disagree that having Eric Thomas to come in and speak to your team is a bad thing. If so, I guess Auburn, Ohio State, or Alabama are flawed as well for having Thomas come in and speak.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

hey guys… don’t take my questions too far…

Those ‘motivational gigs’ can be good for both the speaker and the audience… it all depends…

But if you’ve ever been to one of those Big National or Regional Sales meetings in some fancy resort..
    and noticed the differences in the attitude, attentiveness and the responses between the young guys sitting up front and the ‘old pros’ on the back row…..

you kinda understand … the ‘motivational guy’ is rarely a long term solution that leads to a successful organization.

That said… if that what it takes to build the program… go for it!

Hungwolf
    Participant

Sad to see you used the topic to bash Mike O’Cain. He does not bash our program? He did have some success with a difficult job at the time. Sheridan and our Ad Valvano both agreed the football facilities were in need of upgrades to enhance recruiting. Remember the flowers by Jimmy V to Sheridan when he agreed to stay and not take the Georgia job. Well V was forced to step down as AD and the upgrades never happened until Amato got the job. Remember the shooting incident, that wiped out a large portion of our defense? Since we were coming off the V problems, these players were not allowed to play, hurt us on the field, but O’Cain bounced back and put us in a bowl. Remember O’Cain being named as one of the up and coming coaches in America? O’Cain had about as much success as our last two head coaches and never went winless in conference play. He won at Texas, beat FSU, and won at Syracuse, was a man of integrity, and stood by his staff when he could have fired them and saved his own neck. I am one Pack alum this is proud to say Mike O’Cain was our football coach!

PapaJohn
    Participant

1. Wolfman Jack would be a terrible motivational speaker!!!!
    2. I like bringing this guy in. It exposes the guys to new ideas; gives them a shared, bonding experience. And if the major football powers are utilizing these guys, we want to be perceived as doing comparable things.
    3. The “old guys sitting in the back of the room” are missing out on a chance to improve.

How can you criticize trying any method available to get an under skilled team to play over their heads? The worst that could happen is a little time wasted. The best, maybe some guys buy in?

Kudos Coach!

PackerInRussia
    Participant

Sorry, but when I hear “motivational speaker” all I see are dark-rimmed glasses, slicked-back hair, a green tie and checkered blazer clothing a man badly in need of a job in order to escape the dietary consequences of government cheese and the doldrums of living in a van down by the river.
    “Heard ya got a nice football team here, Dave. Really heading places. Fresh new quarterback. Bright future. Well I’m here to tell you that this year you won’t amount to jack squat!”
    Long live Matt Foley.

BJD95
    Keymaster

My initial thought too, Ruskie!!

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Sorry, but when I hear “motivational speaker” all I see….

…Dr. Lou Holtz…. all 135lbs of him…

just saying…

PapaJohn
    Participant

Matt Foley – “living in my trailer down by the river”

StateFans
    Keymaster

Hungwolf — Based on all of the things you choose to remember (the excuses & only the godo stuff) every college in America should’ve been scooping O’Cain up as their next head coach. What do you think was their issue? It’s weird that MOC was such a fabulous coach that he never sniffed another Head Coaching job and even spent a couple of years selling telephones in between assistant gigs at Clemson and Virginia Tech. But, what do Athletics Directors know about football coaches!?!

I’m sorry for any confusion or miscommunication on this topic. I would’ve thought that everyone naturally understood the obvious difference between having someone come speak with your team vs having to turn to a permanent human resource who was with the team at all times. Hust so that I am very clear I will be more direct —

(1) I am not criticizing our staff in any way for having Eric Thomas speak to the team.

(2) I think it makes total sense to have outside speakers come address all teams on a myraid of topics and it looks like Thomas was as super selection.

(3) I do think that if the staff had to turn to an outsider to effectively outsource motivation for two seasons would be a topic worth exploring.

(4) In Mike O’Cain’s case, the fact that he needed help by way of a PERMANENT HIRE with this particular shortcoming was an indication of a larger structural deficiency in his coaching ability. There was CLEARLY an issue with his ability to deliver consistency both from the coaches and the players. Just as Hungwolf so optimistically pointed out a few of the highlights of MOC’s 7 years, she/he omitted an 0-7 record vs UNC despite being favored in 4 of the 7 games, a losing record vs ECU, and an inability to beat a middling Georgia Tech amidst strange losses to the likes of Purdue, Baylor, Virginia and others.

MrPlywood
    Participant

Sounds like a lot of poorly enunciated berating to me. And I surely know that I’m not as good as Eric since I had a relatively comfortable childhood.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

… I’m not complaining, explaining or retaining…
    just a slow news day…

It’s great for the kids… just trying to keep it all in ‘perspective’…
    Mr. Thomas… as good as he may be… translates into zero impact on our W-L at the end of this season.

Wufpacker
    Participant

” Watch as Jim runs a 7 yrd slant into the territory of an aggressive dropping linebacker.”

LMAO. Now THAT’S funny. 😀

Tuffy2
    Participant

Could you imagine TOB bringing in this guy to speak to the team. Not in a million years.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.