The Time to take BC

Home Forums All StateFansNation The Time to take BC

Viewing 25 posts - 276 through 300 (of 308 total)
  • Author
    TheCOWDOG

^ Me too. I guess the days of “skate and read” are over.
    State is not a passive D.

Pack1997
    Participant

Fact is we won. We all knew BC was going to be a tough out. Players and coaches could have all done better period. As for comparing how great DD is in record this year compared to TOB & CTC’s best years is ridiculous. Much like CTC and TOB this a senior laden team so good record is expected, and next year will hurt especially if Finley is gone. We have also been fortunate to play a very weak division this year compared to most years. What do we have to show for a great record, no hardware thats for sure. Its great our record is good but we also have 2 very difficult games to play left. Lets get by Wake and the Cheats first.

Greywolf
    Participant

Yeah BC bench warmer was a regular Joe Montana back there. They were on fire once he came in! Yeah baby!

The former senior starter was more like Steve Young — left-handed you know. šŸ˜‰ He may not have been on fire but he did QB 2 more scores than the freshman he replaced.

For those interested in the facts the QB who won the starting job over the freshman was injured and replaced by the freshman. After returning from injury the former starter couldn’t win the job back. While he wasn’t a “regular Joe Montana” back there, neither was the freshman. So contrary to what Troll would have us believe, BC wasn’t reduced to using a “bench warmer”. ALL the points BC got were QB’d by the frosh’s replacement.

On a day when our offense struggled (sorry, the coaches made multiple mistakes) our poorly coached defense held BC to 2 TD’s and except for 1 long run, held Dillon to less than 4 ypc. They gutted it out and won a big game for the Pack.

Greywolf
    Participant

The starter looked better than the backup AND the long run was a play where the linebacker read the play wrong and AGAIN there was no safety run support.

Thatā€™s why Dexter Wright, at safety, came in for Kidd-Glass after Dillionā€™s rip for 6. LBā€™s were not out of position on that particular play. In fact, Pratt shot the gap to where he almost made the play for a lossā€¦had Kidd-Glass not attempted outside leverage on a TE, Dillon would have been hemmed at the line of scrimmage.

Mac, your analysis of the defense on the scoring run is almost as bad as your prediction that L’ville would win by 21 — AFTER State cut the margin. Now go ahead and explain to Mr. DOG how his explanation is all wrong.

freshmanin83
    Participant

Well, itā€™s always on the coaches.
    Thatā€™s why Dexter Wright, at safety, came in for Kidd-Glass after Dillionā€™s rip for 6. LBā€™s
    were not out of position on that particular play. In fact, Pratt shot the gap to where he almost made the play for a lossā€¦had Kidd-Glass not attempted outside leverage on a TE, Dillon would have been hemmed at the line of scrimmage.

Donā€™t feel like doing a clinic here. State misses Josh Jonesā€¦Period.

Well Mr. Dog I am following what you said so far and would like to request that you would please give a clinic. Maybe after each game. You have knowledge and how will the next generation learn if you don’t pass it on? I would like to learn more than I know so please give us multiple clinics. Thanks.

Greywolf
    Participant

In reality Iā€™m bored and I want to argue about something and the aforementioned sticks out like a Bible salesman in Carrboro.

I resemble that remark. šŸ˜‰

Pratt shot the gap but if you commit to the gap then you have to ā€œget thereā€. The last several long runs the linebackers havenā€™t gotten there. Multiple times against ND, the classic misread at Clempson and now a repeat at BC.

Not “getting there” is not a coaching “mistake” nor is it a “classic misread.” It is a player failure to execute. Call it coaching if it makes you feel warm and fuzzy.

“Multiple times against ND, the classic misread at Clempson and now a repeat at BC.”

Our defense is playing more aggressively and/or learning to play more aggressively. Playing more aggressively is high risk/ high reward football. There will be some failure and there will be some success, but you must play it to get good at it.

IIRC ND scored twice on passes, once on an INT and once on a short run. Not a lot of LB misreads in that group of scores. We got out coached schematically vs ND. They played poorly the year before and “bought” good coordinators. The difference was clear this year.

McCallum
    Participant

Iā€™m pleased to have reached deity status on this board where an erroneous prediction is weighed against me in perpetuity.

Thank goodness that the days of Reggie Herring are back where itā€™s balls to the wall on every play and thinking, reading and reaction are out of the game.

All or nothing, great choices so give me about 200 yards rushing against the defense for sentimental reasons Alex.

McCallum

Rick
    Keymaster

Iā€™m pleased to have reached deity status on this board where an erroneous prediction is weighed against me in perpetuity.

That’s the way it goes. Some of the people giving you the most grief also have it to me about Gott. Whether you are right had still to be determined. If you are right they will forget everything immediately.
    ?

McCallum
    Participant

Rick,

Itā€™s all in fun so let it roll.

Iā€™m just baffled how a team consistently gets hammered on counters and traps at this level. And the cause/blame/correction phase never can settle on a point of origin of either coaches, players or both.

It doesnā€™t appear to have been fully corrected and I lack interest in winning a debate but would rather have a conscious discussion on what equals improvement on objective terms. Objective reasoning would reject two scores by the backup QB because 1) there was a 50-60 yard run and 2) a turnover picked up at your own 20.

Some much of this non-sense is designed to paint someone in a favorable light while in the same breath detaching that someone from objective responsibility for performance. So the kicking game is not really the fault of the coaches thus they are absolved from blame should things go south. Likewise, no responsibility is placed for losing three points because the time clock expired and the three points was wiped off.

McCallum

TheCOWDOG

Mac. Those delay of games were high school. I don’t know who has the responsibility on the special team watch, but know for damned sure there is one guy with a headphone that can call for a timeout anytime he pleases.

Bill The Cat has been tipping plays, lately, by virtue of formation.

freshmanin83
    Participant

TheCOWDOG do you see/think that the back will throw out of the wildcat formation this year?

Whiteshoes67
    Participant

Ditch the scared-d cat unless it’s the backup QB. Don’t care that we got a TD with Samuels out of the pussy cat either. For every successful putty cat, there are 5-6 road kills. Samuels pitter-pats back there. Commentators this past Saturday applauded it as “patience” which is a gift for a back, but acceleration is also a gift. Since one of our problems is redzone conversion, and a contributor is the slow design by our OC, the side-to-side plays included, there should be a focus on attacking straight ahead. Hines or Gallaspie are better options from the backfield than Samuels. Finley bootleg is also a better option.

If the OC didn’t get hammered by the head man after Saturday, something is wrong.

The delay of games are inexcusable.

More baffling to me, is that you know that you’re kicking game is not reliable. Yet you don’t playcall like you’re in 4 down territory. Everytime we get to the 30-40 yard line, we ought to be playcalling like we’re in 4 down territory.

choppack1
    Participant

I am probably in the minority – but I don’t hate the wildcat. I think it’s pretty good at what it’s supposed to do most times – which is get us 2-3 yards. I didn’t like the trick play because a good d is going to sniff that out. Like others, I’d like to see McLendon run it more, or Meyers a little here and there – since they are at least a minimal threat to throw.

Heck, I would have rather had us run the wildcat on the 4th and 1 vs. Notre Dame in the 3rd quarter than that Finley hand off to Gallaspy out of 6 yard eye.

Greywolf
    Participant

I didnā€™t like the trick play because a good d is going to sniff that out.

I didn’t like that we ran the trick play so much as Finley check out of it when the defense showed strong side blitz. IMO that was a mental error on Finley — who wasn’t having his best day. For that matter JaySam could have checked out by faking the pass and running it himself.

IOW there’s more to this than the play call — even if I didn’t like the play call.

Greywolf
    Participant

Itā€™s all in fun so let it roll.

Mac, thanks for the reminder. I sometimes forget that myself.

66pack
    Participant

I predict DD and other great minds will run 22 trick plays resulting in one turnover and 40 yds lost. Don’t know how many field goals but I bet we kick one on 4th and 3 or less against Heels.

Greywolf
    Participant

Don’t let it go to your head, Mac. šŸ˜‰

Whiteshoes67
    Participant

BJD, if you’re out there lurking, I’m donning my new “Wild Wolf” t-shirt in your honor for the weekday basketball. As early as September 2016, Beej called on Drink to ditch the wildcat. If only we’d been so lucky.

Thanks to Mr. Ply’s inspiration and a new creation by Mrs. Whiteshoes, I’ll I’m sporting my own call for the end to the wild cat against the Presbyterians, before we head west to play the Baptists. Can I get an Amen?

TheCOWDOG

No. We should embrace Ply’s creation, and roll with it!
    Live or die with Bill!

McCallum
    Participant

Who is the Bill the Cat you old farts speak of?

McCallum

MrPlywood
    Participant

No. We should embrace Plyā€™s creation, and roll with it!

Full disclosure, I thought everyone would recognize Bill the Cat from Bloom County – he’s the thing that came to mind and I took the liberty…

Pack78
    Participant

SUFFERIN SOCCOTASH-where is this thread goin’?

ryebread
    Participant

Back on topic. I’ll take the win. Any at this time of the year is good because at some point it is hard not to look forward (or backward). Coming off two straight losses that were physically and mentally draining, it was nice to see us rise to the occasion. That wasn’t easy to do, particularly on the road against a hot BC team on a cold day of tackling on concrete.

Other random thoughts:
    – Long run, that was the safety. The TV replay pretty clearly showed it, and they even called it out.
    – Offensive play calling is regressing. I think we’re down to about 8-10 plays, and the formation is starting to tip them. I get that it is natural for teams to find plays they run well, practice them and stick with them, and that the average fan thinks there are far more on than would ever actually be called. The issue I have is that our formations often tip what that play will be when one understands our 8-10 that we’re going to call.
    – FG kicking is awful, but a tip of the cap to Bam for fighting through BC’s attempt to ice him. That was effectively the game winner.
    – BC wasn’t much of a threat after the starting QB went out.
    – BC has a young but talented team. I really like Adazzio and suspect they’ll become the team that we fight for third in the Atlantic (just don’t think Wake can recruit consistently well enough). They just need some players because they play very fundamentally sound ball and stick to a plan.

PackerInRussia
    Participant

I am probably in the minority ā€“ but I donā€™t hate the wildcat.

I don’t hate it either. Isn’t the idea that by running it you have an extra blocker? If you put it in the category of a “trick play” and thus expect it to result in something big, then I can see it being disappointing, but if it’s another play to give you some positive rushing yards, then I don’t see the problem.

Rick
    Keymaster

. I really like Adazzio and suspect theyā€™ll become the team that we fight for third in the Atlantic

Do you mean fourth?
    Clemson, day, Louisville

Viewing 25 posts - 276 through 300 (of 308 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.