the "New" garden thread

Home Forums StateFans Non Sports Talk the "New" garden thread

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 87 total)
  • Author
    YogiNC
    Participant

Stick, I ordered seed from ebay. MUCH cheaper than the seeds I bought last year. I also have some Aurora pepper seeds that cross polinated last year with the reaper. I’m interested to see how hot those babies have become. Time will tell. This year I’m saving reaper seeds plus seeds from the Aurora’s and I’m growing some candlelights. A friend of mine who has been growing the reapers for a couple of years that has been cross polinating with other peppers gave me some thai cayenne pepper seeds from last year that had a lot of heat to them. From discussions I’ve heard across the net any pepper that cross polinates with the reaper gets hotter. We shall see.

Smarter than the average bear

TheCOWDOG

It’s a waiting game to get my stuff out of my starters, and into the ground. I expect Saturday to go sub 30, just like Monday-Tuesday.

Got the fish in the ground…Need some co-operation from Madre Natura.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Madre Natura is dyslexic this time around…

April in March && March in April

we GOTT 15″ ‘maters sitting for two weeks now…
    after the cold weekend… we’re looking at 15 days with nothing over 77 or under 52…

maybe I’ll just put ’em in pots…

Anybody GOTT 800 used 3 gallon nursery pots???

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Ya’ll better cover up tomorrow…

I am…

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

what ya’ll farmers GOTT coming in ???

TheCOWDOG

I got spider freakin’ mites!

StandardStatefan
    Participant

Spider freakin mites are the worst, always a problem on my burpless cucumbers. Squash and zucchini started this week, and tomatoes.

Have some ghost and Carolina reaper in containers. How successful have y’all been in collecting seeds for either. I had terrible germination on the reaper this year, so am hoping to be able to save some seed instead of buying. Only about 50’of the 500 reaper germinates making for some high dollar plants.

TheCOWDOG

The growing season has been somewhat dyslexic. Tomatoes looking good, so far, same with the bells, and yellow wax beans.

However, the hot peppers are stunted, and forget the cukes and herbs.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

^our reapers did not reap either … 10 out 50…

^^I GOTT some organic miticide if you need some…

\April in March && March in April messed up or confused alot of stuff…
    esp. cukes…

It ain’t hot enough for peppers to really do their thing yet….

We started digging taters last week…

ANYBODY know where I can get some 5-10lbs of Mexican Red Bean SEEDS ????

highstick
    Participant

I planted a spicy hot bell pepper and it’s growing…also have a few poblamas growing. Planted those in pots just to see. My local supplier in Rock Hill never has gotten any reaper plants and I haven’t made a trip to Fort Mill…I may bypass those cause production was horrible last year.

Squirrels and birds pluck the green bean sprouts faster than my wife can plant them. Tomatoes, cukes, squash and egg plant are growing well so far. Red and green bell peppers are growing, but not much fruit yet.

Bill, my wife’s roommate in school was from Morehead. Used to tell me in the best High Tider accent that “Tide’s so high, can’t go crabbing, gotta go dig taters”! Speaking of which, headed to Morehead the first week in June to try to catch some “fishes”…I understand the spanish are biting near the Cape.

"Whomp 'em, Up, Side the Head"!

YogiNC
    Participant

Corn is almost ready to pick, which is great cause I could get a second crop on that this year. Damn rabbits got to my peanuts. Have maters, cukes, zucchini, and squash in overload. Giving them away like crazy. It’s blowing me away, I did raised beds this year and went from a 50 X 75 row garden to 2 raised beds 4 ft wide 40 feet long and 2 16 feet with 4 feet in between each. I’m able to keep water on the corn/squash/peas/melons and the maters/cukes/peppers/okra/onions which I could not do last year due to planting in rows. My cultivation so far is weeks ahead and bumper crops coming in, and keeping the weeds out is sooooo much easier.

All in all if you’ve never tried doing intensive planting (i.e. planting everything in a very small space) you ought to give it a shot. It took a great deal of work to build up the beds before planting but I’ll never go back to the old method. Currently I’m watering by hand with a wand due to my schedule not letting me install the watering system I wanted to do, but 30 minutes of water every couple of days when it’s not been raining is doing me just fine. Last summer no matter how much I watered I could not keep the corn alive. Before the second crop of that I will get the watering system down which will just be 4 3/4 inch PVC lines run down the center of each raised bed with holes drilled in them.

MrPlywood
    Participant

Are ornamental gardening posts allowed in here? ๐Ÿ™‚

Yogi that sounds great. I’d like to grow some veggies here (Vancouver Island) but it’s a challenge since it takes so long to warm up where we are near the water. And, I don’t have near the room it sounds like you’re working with. I have a backdoor neighbor with a large lot (.75 acres, for here that’s big) and I’m trying to talk him into letting me put in some beds.

highstick
    Participant

Plywood…if you can grow a garden like Butchart, we’ll take all of the advice you can give. Awesome place! You do avoid the extreme cold temps in Victoria. Seems like I recall you were close by??

BTW, I plucked my first Poblamas over the weekend and have a few maters, yellow and zuchinnis. Grew some garden peas and got several meals out of a fairly small planting.

TheCOWDOG

Ply, dammit. You have near perfect artichoke clime. Get on it!

Dozen and a half jarred pickles in, several lbs of Yellow Wax beans picked so far.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

ya’ll are doing good!

with lots of heat and water…
    everything hotnatured is bumping…

however…don’t tell that to the Farmer’s wife….

YogiNC
    Participant

For some reason I could not post a reply to MrP. it keeps telling me an error occurred????

highstick
    Participant

I am eatin’ mater sammiches!

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

maters, peppers, corn, green beans and okra coming off down here…

farming new ground ain’t what ya’ll think it is….

TheCOWDOG

Yogi and you, Beach Bum Bill, are farmin’. I’s jus’ gardnin’. Golf ball cherry tomatoes are ripening out of control.

Probably a hundred slicers still green. Pepper trees, hot and bell making a comeback. Enough yellow beans to feed a baseball team.

Still early…ain’t gettin’ cocky.

.. And for Ply…hell yes I got flowers, and more starting!

YogiNC
    Participant

My raised beds are the way to go, at least for me. MUCH easier to keep water on everything. Been really dry last two weeks only a tenth inch of rain. been able to keep everything watered with just 30 minutes or so every other day of watering. Corn stated coming off and it’s the sweetest I’ve ever tasted. Turn all my neighbors on to some and they were tickled.

Only problem is seeing all the cukes since they are closely planted with the maters and onions. Had two yesterday that I overlooked two days earlier, they looked like small watermelons. Over a foot long and couldn’t hold em with one hand. Straight to the compost pile.

Peas are coming off and I have squash and zucchini coming out of my ears. The big plus is how easy it is to get rid of the weeds. With the corn coming in so early I plan to get a second crop in maybe. We shall see.

I love this method of gardening, tons of veggies in a very compact footprint. Wish I’d done this years ago! Have a few things I’m gonna tweak for next year but overall I’m all in with this stuff. It is DA BOMB!

highstick
    Participant

I’ve gone to the raised beds too, Yogi. Much easier to water and control weeds. Actually have two peppers growing in big containers inside the raised bed so I can move it around. We just need water here! I doing something heretical….trying to establish bermuda in my daughter’s backyard from seed. They built a new house last fall and the builder sodded the front in bermuda and threw down fescue seed in the back. Ground was too hard, in fact, we had to get a fellow with a pulverizer to break up the soil in the back yard. They are at the beach this week so I’m watering but sure could use some relief with rain!

YogiNC
    Participant

Stick, go to a seed & feed and buy gypsum (calcium sulfate). It comes in 50 lb bags like fertilizer. Use a bag every 10,000 sq ft for very dense soil. Instant softening of hard pan soil. Makes it easier to water too (soil actually absorbs water). If you need more it’s easy to add more later. best thing in the world for clay type soil.

highstick
    Participant

Stick, go to a seed & feed and buy gypsum (calcium sulfate). It comes in 50 lb bags like fertilizer. Use a bag every 10,000 sq ft for very dense soil. Instant softening of hard pan soil. Makes it easier to water too (soil actually absorbs water). If you need more itโ€™s easy to add more later. best thing in the world for clay type soil.

I am going to add some of that. Didn’t know a bag would cover that much though. I told my SIL that bermuda would grow on concrete though. Especially when you don’t want it there.

YogiNC
    Participant

Sorry stick that was supposed to be 1,000 sq ft. But that is still a 30 X 30 area and it works really well. It’s not that expensive either. My septic lines run through clay and it works wonders for them. If you have a septic system and see really green grass growing around your lines it’s time to add some gypsum. The really green grass means the nitrification field isn’t working at it’s best. Just an extra tidbit about what gypsum can do in your yard/garden.

highstick
    Participant

Holy crap, bermuda WILL grow on concrete…Seeded the back yard Wed through Friday of the past week and kept it watered through Thursday when my daughter and family got back from a trip to Carolina Beach..Bermuda has “taken off”

Yogi, got conflicts with the gypsum utilization too. Still haven’t done it because I wanted to stay off the seed while it was germinating..but a solid dose of that for a couple of years should really help. No septic involved…might try adding some to mine this fall..

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 87 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.