The Four Corners and the Shot Clock…

Home Forums StateFans Basketball The Four Corners and the Shot Clock…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Tobacco Road Basketball Historians remember well The Four Corners…

Contrary to local legend, the Four Corners was not invented by The Nose, just perfected…
    John McLendon who coached at NCCU gets the credit for that…

And I’m sure some of ya’ll remember Coach Sloan’s version v. Dook in the 1968 ACC tournament — final score 12-10… STATE wins…

So because NOBODY except The NOSE liked the Four Corners… the NCAA put in the 5 second closely guarded rule…
    The NOSE just laughed at that…

So the NCAA, copying the NBA, put in the 45-second shot clock for the men’s game in the 1985–86 season, reducing it to 35 seconds in the 1993–94 season and 30 seconds in the 2015–16 season….

In the meantime, The Nose just smiled and retired…

—————–

So I’m was watching the Clempsom / UVA game…
    with the 30second shot clock…

The score by quarters…

After 10 minutes in the 1st half: UVA – 16 Tiggers – 14
    Halftime: 27 Tiggers – 23
    After 10 minutes in the 2nd half: UVA – 45 Tiggers – 29
    Final Score: UVA – 61 Tiggers – 45

AND my question is…

How long before the NCAA puts in the “Tony Bennett” rule ???

I know the TV guys are going nuts’bout this…

POP!!!

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    PackofMac
    Participant

Tiggers-36

pakfanistan
    Participant

They’re a good team, and I can respect what they do, but it makes for unwatchable basketball I know that for sure.

ryebread
    Participant

The Tony Bennett rule is actually calling fouls. It is seemingly in effect during the NCAA tournament as UVA typically goes down fairly early to a hot shooting team when they don’t adjust to a tighter whistle.

The NCAA doesn’t need new rules (5 second, shot clock, etc.). They need to enforce the ones on the book.

I would agree that UVA (and their cousin Wisconsin) are unwatchable. I avoid watching them play because it is just poor entertainment. The ACC will eventually wake up that their “top” team plays god awful basketball and start calling them more tightly. After all, it is a business.

What isn’t asked about Tony Bennett is what his impact has on other schools in the conference. When he was in the Pac 10 (pre-PAC12), his Wazzou teams went to the top of the standings, and were in the top 10 at one point. The rest of the conference pivoted, got more physical, took the air out of the ball and tried to out Bennett Wazzou. It set their entire conference back years, both in popularity, recruiting, post-season success, etc.. The ACC cannot have that happen, and hopefully they’re smart enough to see it.

We already see teams like Clemson, BC, GT, Louisville, Syracuse, WF and FSU being more and more possession oriented. Only Duke, UNC, Notre Dame, State and Miami really want to get out and run and have an open game. The ACC is going to want to protect the blues and protect the brand image, so I suspect that the officiating will change.

Whiteshoes67
    Participant

Agree with rye that we don’t need new rules, just better officiating and enforcement. But I disagree that UVA’s flames out of the NCAA due to a different level of officiating, and that their style of play is that much more physical than most teams. They’re fundamentally sound, and he coaches the Pack Line Defense well, much like Marshall does at Wichita State. The approach on offense is to make teams actually play team defense, use a lot of motion, the pass, and probe for BETTER shots. Better shots is the key. You can always get a contested 3, or something off the dribble late, but rarely, will you see a Bennett team settle for an early contested 3, or deep 3, or by a guy shooting sub 40% from 3. I’m not saying I like watching it, but his success, at least in my mind, is more due to how putrid most other teams are on offense, and how bad the shot selection has gotten.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

They’re a good team, and I can respect what they do, but it makes for unwatchable basketball I know that for sure.

That is unless you’re an UVA alum…
    ———————-

What isn’t asked about Tony Bennett is what his impact has on other schools… When he was in the Pac 10 (pre-PAC12), his Wazzou teams went to the top of the standings….The rest of the conference pivoted, got more physical, took the air out of the ball and tried to out Bennett Wazzou. It set their entire conference back years, both in popularity, recruiting, post-season success, etc.. The ACC cannot have that happen, and hopefully they’re smart enough to see it.

Great observation Rye! This is Gold.

Did not the same thing happen in reverse in the ACC from the late 60s to mid 80s, when the rest of the ACC tried to out ‘nose’ The NOSE with finesse, clock management and coaching — something the League supported with tight officiating??

During that period, the ACC teams that made it to the NCAA Tourney, often got out muscled, out ran and out-hearted by ‘less talented’ teams with zebras from other conferences who only called the obvious fouls and mistakes plus Coaches who just liked to sit back and watch the game….

The most ironic part of all that was…. In the NCAA tourney, The NOSE was often his own worse enemy…
    He’s still thanking Georgetown’s Fred Brown for winning that Natty for him in the Superdome in ’82…

GO PACK!

ryebread
    Participant

Bill: I agree with you regarding the ACC in the 80s and early 90s. We were a finesse league and had to get more physical given the whistles went away in the NCAA tournament. I believe to this day that the original ACC/Big East challenge was great for the ACC in that we got an early look at a good, physical team that played more like the NCAA was going to be called.

Anyone remember when the Big East toyed with 6 fouls during the regular season? It seemingly had to bite them in the tournament when they had to adjust to going back to 5 fouls.

As for UVA in the NCAAs, here’s the losses they’ve had under Bennett and the FTs the other team shot:
    – 2017: Florida shot 18, UVA shot 7
    – 2016: Syracuse shot 25 free throws, UVA shot 12
    – 2015: Michigan State shot 33 free throws, UVA shot 26
    – 2014: Michigan State shot 18 free throws, UVA shot 17
    – 2012: Florida shot 17 free throws, UVA shot 10

In every one of those games, UVA’s opponents shot more free throws than their opponents.

Whiteshoes: I agree with you on some level regarding UVA. They push you (literally) away from the basket, double the easy shots close to the basket, and leave you less contested looks on long threes. They do clutch, grab, push and use the body though. Make no mistake. Wisconsin (the origin), plays the same way and they also foul a LOT.

Part of that strategy is just to foul on every play. The refs aren’t going to call all the fouls. Set the tone early and enjoy it through the game. I would argue that Duke and K brought that style of play to the ACC. Everyone else just learned from it.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

the ACC in the… [70s,]… 80s and early 90s…. [was]… a finesse league

Anywhere other than from Charlotte to College Park, ‘finesse’, while politically acceptable today, was not the generally accepted and mostly widely used “adjective” for ACC basketball…

If you’re guessing… five letter word starts with “P”…

GO PACK!

GoldenChain
    Participant

Is UVA somehow what the Herbster had in mind but wasn’t ever able to fully execute?!
    Have to hand it to Bennet, if they get up by 5 forget it!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.