The Best of Jacoby Brissett

Home Forums All StateFansNation The Best of Jacoby Brissett

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    StateFans
    Keymaster

Last week Bryan Underwood deserved his own entry (click here). This week, is there any doubt? Jacoby Brissett ended his first season as NC State’s sta
    [See the full post at: The Best of Jacoby Brissett]

TheCOWDOG

WTNY…

Nice to say that sans Wolfpack sarcasm.

Greywolf
    Participant

EVERYTHING didn’t go Jocoby and the Pack’s way Saturday. We lost the coin toss.

Didn’t want to start a new thread but this was seen on the Hole board. Enjoy!:
    “I’m done too. Been pouring money and emotion into this football program since 1976. At my age, the product is not worth the price. Sleeping giant my ass. How long is the mf going to sleep?”

redisgood
    Participant

Any chance Jacoby decides to turn pro after this year? I’m thinking he definitely needs another year to work on a few things, and he should show out better with an improved supporting cast.

I’m hearing Shad is thinking about it, but hopefully JB isn’t.

Greywolf
    Participant

I’m hearing Shad is thinking about it (going pro) , but hopefully JB isn’t.

Jacoby way too smart to think he could make it in the pros at this time. Shad is on the “pro” side of neutral. Recruits seem to think he is going. I wondered if running him as the featured back was to give his ‘resume’ a better look.

Mike
    Participant

If Jacoby is thinking of going pro, would be the biggest mistake this side of Ced Simmons. I am appreciative of the job he has done this year but frankly I dont think he is anywhere on the pro scouts radar.

As for Shad, I would hope not from his perspective. Once again, talking about the radar, I dont think any teams are begging Shad to come out early. RB’s are such a dime a dozen and there is no lucrative financial incentive for Shad. The ONLY reason for him to go early would be legal issues, grade issues, or DD has told him he is no longer welcome in the program. Not saying any of these are issues, but just saying IF would be the only reasons.

redisgood
    Participant

I saw a draft site updated about a week ago that listed JB as the #11 QB prospect for 2015. I’m sure he knows his team will be much stronger next year, and he will be able to improve his stock tremendously by returning.

That was an incredible performance he turned in Saturday. I cannot wait to see what Jacoby and the rest of the team can accomplish next year.

44rules
    Participant

Don’t want to take anything away from my love of Jacoby’s performance and all things Pack, but he needs to improve in the passing department to be a legit pro prospect.

Communism is not love. Communism is a hammer which we use to crush the enemy. Mao Zedong

PapaJohn
    Participant

Whoa! That’s a bucket of cold water!!!
    Was expecting to prolong the glow of victory a little longer.

Fastback68
    Participant

Oh, that victory glow will last long for most of us. I am watching the replay, again! Jacoby was gliding through that defense with ease especially during the opening drive. A solid December and offseason might just be the trick to develope and polish the deep ball.

Lastly, who didn’t hit Williams?

44rules
    Participant

I truly didn’t mean it as a bucket of cold water, and I’m sorry if it came across that way. I’m still feeling the warm glow of Saturday – and will for a while. It’s just that Jacoby has been weak on deep throws for much of this year. He didn’t need to throw deep Saturday since he ran right over Unlimited Number of Chokes-Cheatham Hill, but he’s unlikely to run for 160 a game in the NFL.

Communism is not love. Communism is a hammer which we use to crush the enemy. Mao Zedong

MrPlywood
    Participant

Despite the initial hype of Kapernick and RGIII, the NFL is still a passing league. A QB who knows when to run and can pull it off without getting hammered, i.e. RW, AR (probably others that escape me right now) is for sure an asset. But passing comes first.

ryebread
    Participant

JB has been inaccurate on long throws since last season’s Red and White game. He was the same at this season’s Red and White game. His biggest weakness is the deep ball.

If he works on that during the offseason, he could have a special senior campaign.

Pack is back in Atl
    Participant

The use of Jacoby by our staff in the UNC game was different due to a couple of things. Obviously we figured that the UNC run defense was poor. We also could take more chances with Jacoby running than in earlier games. He was our only legit QB so earlier in the season we had to protect against injury. With the off week to get healthy before the UNC game and off weeks before the bowl we could run him more and had to worry less about injury.

Next year and during the bowl we can tailor the offense more to his skill set. The bowl is the end of the year and next year redshirt will be off of Jalan Mcclendon so we will have another option should Jacoby get hurt. This will allow Jacoby to take more chances even if his long ball does not improve.

I think that this is a good example of the staff using the (limited) assets that we have to maximum effect.

Thoughts from others.

Gowolves
    Participant

Ryebred, I was at the R&W game this year. Brissett threw at almost 80% clip in that game. He had one long pass to Bo Hines and one to Underwood. Don’t think he connected on any others. Point is I will take a QB that has a completion percentage in that range any day. So what if he is inconsistant with the deep ball.

Primewolf
    Participant

Can a QB really improve his deep ball??? It is like me trying to improve my drive after years and years of effort and lessons. Have gotten better but still inconsistent.

Of course it could be mechanical or some slight injury that has persisted during the season.

His other problem is taking too long to make a decision. He then tries to avid the sack, but it is too late.

choppack1
    Participant

Not sure what to say about throwing the deep ball…its more about putting it up there and letting your wr go get it…and knowing when to wing it.

We’ve been fortunate to see Rivers, Wilson and Glennon throw those.

But there’s another theory… A long pass won’t be intercepted. Basing on this staff’s and the players execution in the to department – they may be subscribing to that. And hey, I got no problem with it.

TheCOWDOG

Outside of blown coverage, the long ball is always hovering around hope.

Truth…IMO…Receivers have to make it hapoen

packplantpath
    Participant

Outside of blown coverage, the long ball is always hovering around hope.

Truth…IMO…Receivers have to make it hapoen

And he has thrown quite a few catchable deep balls this season and they just didn’t get pulled in. Some due to good coverage, others the receivers just didn’t quite pull it in.

BassPacker
    Participant

Priceless !!

redisgood
    Participant

Thank you BassPacker for “reeling” us back in. I started it with the NFL talk. This really should just be a celebration for a tremendous game against a hated rival. Thank you Jacoby. Well done!

ncsu_kappa
    Participant

I don’t think we have to worry about any early defections based off of this year’s performances and presence on the All-ACC lists. It will be nice to see how this year’s recruiting class shapes up, and how well DD develops talent from last year’s class but I’m hopeful for the future.

As well as we played and as bad as we made UNC look I don’t put us in the top 3-4 programs in the ACC yet but I think we can compete to be at the top of the next tier next year with Brissett.

If we can replace our defensive front with equivalent play and get improved play from LB and secondary then I think we will be on to something. I think our offense from every position is moving in the right direction. Hopefully we will see FAR FAR fewer dropped balls next year. That stalled so many drives for us this year. I expect O-Line to improve, WR’s to improve, along with Shad and Dayes dominating carries in the backfield.

I think that’s enough for 4-4/5-3 ACC and hopefully another 4-0 clip in the non conference next year and a pretty good bowl game. DD is getting a few explosive players here and there which is good. If he’s able to leverage this momentum to get dynamic explosive players across the board and Mclendon (QB) performs as advertised (in two years) then I will be a very happy wolfpacker for the next few years. Of course if if was a fifth then we’d all be drunk… GO PACK!

Greywolf
    Participant

Jacoby! I can see why Doeren was so high on him now.. No offense intended to Hines or our other WRs but if Jacoby had just one receiver like Clemson and FSU seems to be blessed with every year, he would be All Conference and we would be looking at 9 or 10 wins. There aren’t many of those guys around so we’ll just have to run it down their throats in the near future. 😉

Moving on..

It will be nice to see how this year’s recruiting class shapes up, and how well DD develops talent from last year’s class but I’m hopeful for the future.

If the development of our Red Shirts is anywhere near the development of some of the active roster, we will tough to deal with in the future. I think our recruiters are looking for athletic ability as much as size in the OL. Of course both is ideal. We have many big OL who can’t move their feet which has them playing on PAT and FG teams, but not regular players.

Greywolf
    Participant

Can a QB really improve his deep ball??? It is like me trying to improve my drive after years and years of effort and lessons. Have gotten better but still inconsistent.

This is what can be expected when improvement is the goal. I know about trying to ‘improve’ my drive. After years of effort and a few lessons not only was I still inconsistent but my distance blew (which is past tense for suck.) In my late 60’s I stopped trying to improve my drive and did things to stop thinking.

Ever just tossed a balled up piece of paper at a trash can? No thought, no aim, just threw it? Yeah? Me too. damn thing goes right in. Try it again and I’m lucky to hit the floor with it. When conscious thought gets in the way of hand/eye coordination, undesirable stuff happens.

I said all that to say this: my guess is that Jacoby is trying too hard on the deep ball or is trying to put in some particular correction and like the second toss at the trash can, his mind is getting in the way of his hand/eye coordination. Usually this is corrected by repetition until thinking stops and instincts take over. During the season may not be the best time to try correction by repetition and elimination of thinking is easier said than done. And as Mr. DOG indicated earlier, receivers going after the ball would correct the problem.

Hmmm. I don’t understand all I know about what I just wrote.

Greywolf
    Participant

In my late 60’s I stopped trying to improve my drive and did things to stop thinking.

My distance went from 225-250 to 275-300. I’ll admit I changed my swing to inside out and let myself just swing. My friends didn’t like me all of a sudden out driving them 50 yard and keeping it in the short grass.

I didn’t want to put this in the post above as it wasn’t the point.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.