Texas Opening

Home Forums StateFans Football Texas Opening

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Wulfpack
    Participant

Texas has reportedly narrowed its search and intends to hire by Jan 15. Two ACC coaches are finalists. Your four candidates are Baylor’s Art Briles, Vandy’s James Franklin, FSU’s Jimbo Fisher, and Lville’s Charlie Strong. What a list.

LRM
    Keymaster

That’s a helluva ambitious list for most programs, but Texas is the best job in college football.

Wulfpack
    Participant

I agree it is the best and they can hand pick. I just don’t know about Jimbo though. Would he really leave FSU at a time when they are going for it all, and Winston is back next year. The other three would go in a heartbeat.

LRM
    Keymaster

The Winston factor is why I thought — if they really wanted Jimbo — they’d have waited another year.

vtpackfan
    Participant

I’m not as interested in who Texas as I am the dominoes that fall afterward.

FSU and Louisville would attract another BCS HC, while Baylor and Vandy might have to look outside the box some.

It also seems possible, if not likely, that one or more College coaches go to the NFL.

Big Dog
    Participant

The Orlando Sentinel is reporting that FSU and Jimbo have agreed to a 5 year extension valued at $4.1 M. If true, he is out of the mix. I think I agree that he was never a candidate. If he was, Texas would have waited until next year to move Mack out to pasture.

LRM
    Keymaster

Just getting this up near the top.

BJD95
    Keymaster

I am also interested in the domino chain.

StateFans
    Keymaster

Teddy Bridgewater announces he is leaving for the NFL.

I’m not at all sold on Louisville as a long term program.

I’m looking to jump now if I am Charlie Strong.

wufpup76
    Keymaster

Teddy Bridgewater announces he is leaving for the NFL.

I’m not at all sold on Louisville as a long term program.

I’m looking to jump now if I am Charlie Strong.

^I dunno, I think they could be a regular top 25 program – but your statement made me think of Chris Petersen jumping from Boise.

As for Texas, the resulting game of Dominoes should be interesting.

Edit: I have a URL link in this post, but I don’t see it (?)

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/10090705/why-was-right-chris-petersen-leave-boise-state-washington

Edit #2: It may be ‘user error’, but my attempted url link did not work/appear in the post using the

link

code button … fyi.

BJD95
    Keymaster

TX and Charlie Strong make mutual sense.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Mora turns Texas down. Briles not interested. You would have to think Strong or Franklin is the guy.

Al Golden has been offered the Penn State job and he is expected to accept. So potentially Miami and Lville could be looking for new coaches.

ruffles31
    Keymaster

Chip Brown ?@ChipBrownOB
    Louisville coach Charlie Strong will replace Mack Brown as the head coach at Texas, according to a high-ranking UT source.

All of a sudden, replacing Maryland with Louisville doesn’t seem as daunting. New coach, new QB coming to the ACC.

StateFans
    Keymaster

* It’s a great move by Texas.

* There are whispers that Louisville may hire Bobby Petrino. As much as you may not like the guy, it is hard to argue with his success.

* I’ve said it a million times — if you aren’t cheating big-time at Miami then you can’t win. In fact, NO COACH has EVER won at Miami without big time cheating. Golden is smart to get out of there. That job is so much more of a ‘stepping stone’ than people admit.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.