Teddy gone

Home Forums All StateFansNation Teddy gone

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    wolfmanmat
    Participant

What’s Ted Kapita thinking? Does Keatts realize what he is taking over? We have no depth coming back and little talent from a bad team. This could be ugly for a couple years.

duckfatrules
    Participant

trying to make something good out of something bad, this will provide more playing time and development for the younguns:
    shaun Kirk, DariusHicks, Lavar batts, malik Johnson. need a strong five person class next year with NO ONE AND DONES! No more short-timers.

Pack1997
    Participant

I think this becomes more of a trend throughout college basketball. There are other leagues and if you get told, you don’t have what it takes to make an NBA roster, why wouldn’t you go play overseas? Someone will pay him more money playing basketball than he will make with a degree. Its an ugly trend that’s on the rise. Cant say I blame the kids though I would consider it as well.

wolfpack92owen
    Participant

I think this becomes more of a trend throughout college basketball. There are other leagues and if you get told, you don’t have what it takes to make an NBA roster, why wouldn’t you go play overseas? Someone will pay him more money playing basketball than he will make with a degree. Its an ugly trend that’s on the rise. Cant say I blame the kids though I would consider it as well.

I know what you are saying and dont necessarily disagree but godalmighty that is unbelievably short sighted on his (or whoever) part. They dont make that much, its for an incredibly limited time and you are in some God knows where foreign country trying to acclimate. I seriously doubt playing overseas is all what its made out to be.

Pack1997
    Participant

If we were in that situation I would agree. However look at where he is from. I don’t believe he has an interest in school so basketball is it for him. With that taken into account, it’s only logical to assume he was told he has no shot in the NBA so he decided Europe is it for him. Plus I believe him and Rowan are close, so they are headed the same direction. School isn’t for everyone. Sucks for us though.

wolfpack92owen
    Participant

If we were in that situation I would agree. However look at where he is from. I don’t believe he has an interest in school so basketball is it for him. With that taken into account, it’s only logical to assume he was told he has no shot in the NBA so he decided Europe is it for him. Plus I believe him and Rowan are close, so they are headed the same direction. School isn’t for everyone. Sucks for us though.

Yeah I get his case is unique but I was speaking more on the whole. Like Cat, Lacey and Rowan. Just seems really really stupid to not put in the extra couple of years, get the degree, extra training rather than go to some fly by night organization in Greece, Ukraine, Israel etc.

Yeah I know the “Laceys making $100000 now” posts are going to come rolling in but the take home from that and the longevity still doesnt make it worth it in my opinion.

Daniel_Simpson_Day
    Participant

What’s the saying, “youth is wasted on the young”? Kids want to grow up fast. When you were 10 you couldn’t wait to be 13. When you were 13 you couldn’t wait to be 16…18…21
    I was there once. Couldn’t wait to get out of college and start earning my own living and not be a burden to my parents (who were financially comfortable enough to have supported me for a few more years of grad school had I decided to take that route).
    You can advise them all you want. Stay in school…enjoy the experience, etc. They’re kids. They aren’t going to listen to their parents, coaches, teachers, etc. any better than we did when we were 18-25.
    Playing devil’s advocate, it’s very possible the education they get living in a foreign country while earning a living doing something they love can be more valuable than a bachelor’s degree in whatever from NCSU. Bottom line is you have to do whatever makes you happiest.
    Now, what do we have to do to keep the rest of guys so we aren’t having to rely on walk-ons for quality minutes?

Greywolf
    Participant

Keatts interviewed all the players from last year. The ones who want to or are willing to play his style are staying and those who don’t are leaving. Is it a surprise that some players have no interest in doing what it takes to get in shape and stay in shape?

The other revenue sport coach vets recruits before he offers. Seems this coach is doing the same. I’ve had about enough “good players” who weren’t willing to hustle, play defense, etc. How many times did we lose because we didn’t have it in us at the end of the game?

Can it get much worse the the last 2 years? I’d rather have lesser talented players giving their all — leaving it all on the court — and losing than better players who didn’t want to win bad enough to work for it.

It might all come down to the parents of the players we recruit. Are they happy with their kids playing for a role model like some coaches we know of? Keatts sounds like the kind of man I would want my kids playing for.

I have no issue with the kids playing in Europe for a few years or until they can’t play any more if they can’t make the bigs. If they want it they can always come back and complete the work for their degree.

WolfBlood86
    Participant

Brian Bowen cooooommmeee ooon doowwwnnnn!

choppack1
    Participant

Let’s not act like this happens everywhere. Has any other ACC school had this many kids go pro with eligibility left and not get drafted?

This is not Keatts fault – I blame it on Gott. Kapita was a high risk signee from the beginning. If you are going to run a mercenary program you need to do better than he did the last 2 years.

ryebread
    Participant

Playing devil’s advocate, it’s very possible the education they get living in a foreign country while earning a living doing something they love can be more valuable than a bachelor’s degree in whatever from NCSU. Bottom line is you have to do whatever makes you happiest.

I tend to agree with this. People have many paths in life. I think far too many 18 year olds are going to college, which waters down the value of the degree.

Keatts interviewed all the players from last year. The ones who want to or are willing to play his style are staying and those who don’t are leaving. Is it a surprise that some players have no interest in doing what it takes to get in shape and stay in shape?

TK was anything but out of shape. That kid has a man’s body and a high motor. He’s also perfectly suited to this style of play. I thought he’d be an absolute terror in Keatts’ system.

NC State had to do a lot to get TK on the court. There were clearly issues with qualifying coming in as well as other issues. I suspect the promises that Gott made to get TK and Omer on the court are some of the many things that led to Yow actually making a move this past year.

There was also a period early in the second semester that it felt like TK might be being withheld from games for other reasons (which could have been grades). I think this has more to do with the bigger path than anything about Keatts or his system.

tractor57
    Participant

I’m hoping the decision works well for Kapita and if he has decided not to be here it is time to move on. That is the current state of college basketball. Gott took a big risk in even signing Ted. If his dream was the NBA staying at NC State will probably not help his chances.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

Yeah I know the “Laceys making $100000 now” posts are going to come rolling in but the take home from that and the longevity still doesnt make it worth it in my opinion.

If someone is willing to pay him 6 fiugres now, then I don’t see how it couldn’t be worth it. He can always go back and get a degree if that is something he wants and is able to accomplish. Take the money now, because everyone is only one knee injury away from being a spectator.

44rules
    Participant

Yep, you called it Owen: https://sports.yahoo.com/news/ok-182-early-entry-candidates-years-nba-draft-020929401.html

“Two years ago, critics reamed NC State’s Trevor Lacey for giving up the final year of his college career even though he was a fringe NBA prospect at best. They neglected the fact that Lacey was already almost 24 years old, young by real-life standards but not for a pro basketball hopeful.

For Lacey, staying in school would have meant forfeiting another year of earning potential in a career with a notoriously short money-making window. He went unselected in the NBA draft, but he has thrived the past two seasons in Italy’s top league, putting up 10.8 points per game this year as a starter for fourth-place Sassari.”

Of course, if the poor translation is right, looks like Lacey is out for 60 days with a fractured orbital bone. But he’s getting paid: http://www.cagliaripad.it/news.php?page_id=51348

Communism is not love. Communism is a hammer which we use to crush the enemy. Mao Zedong

Wulfpack
    Participant

If someone is willing to pay him 6 fiugres now, then I don’t see how it couldn’t be worth it. He can always go back and get a degree if that is something he wants and is able to accomplish. Take the money now, because everyone is only one knee injury away from being a spectator.

That has always been my position on this. And many pf these guys come from really poor homes. Don’t think for a second that aspect doesn’t factor in. And you can absolutely build a nice nestegg playing overseas if you are smart about it.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

My son was not raised in a “poor home” by any standards….

Yet… If he had a chance to drop out of school at age 19 or 20 and go to Europe, work part time and make a $100K a year doing anything legal… there’s NFW I would have ever been able to talk him out of it…

Birds gotta fly….

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    wolfmanmat
    Participant

I understand Maverick gone. He’s going to play ball in Europe and will never play in the NBA. He doesn’t have the skill set. When he comes back he can finish a degree, get a job and be fine. Kapita is a different story. He has the NBA skill set. Perhaps he develops it in Europe and then gets a chance in the league. Perhaps not anoche ends up back in the Congo and is happy. But he has a chance to get noticed here by waiting one year and then deciding rather than rushing to Europe. Good luck to him. Hope Keatts can get started recruiting his kids now.

PackerInRussia
    Participant

If you’re willing to live in a different country every year or few years, you can make a decent living playing ball overseas. And they’re not playing for peanuts. You have teams that don’t pay as well and then you have teams owned by some rich guy who will pay a bunch of money. And they are always looking for American players. There’s a veritable who?? (as opposed to who’s who) of former college players that you’d have to Google to figure out who they played college ball for and then maybe you vaguely remember them; and they’re making a pretty good living playing. And they can keep playing for a good while. Often their housing and other costs are covered too, so they’re able to save a lot of their salary if they choose. You hear about some bad experiences, but they can do pretty well for themselves.

tractor57
    Participant

In general I don’t question a player turning pro (whatever league) when they can make significant money. In a few cases I wonder if the trade off between X dollars now vs the potential of XX dollars next year makes sense to stick abound. That said like Va says every player is one knee injury from watching rather than playing. I can tell you if as an underclassman I was offered a large sum of money (6 figures or the like) to take a job them and there it would have been very hard to ignore. I do not like the one and done culture but I also understand it. As it relates to the coaching change in Raleigh I also would rather have players that want to be there – I do not mean that as a slight to any player that leaves rather as an indication of the intent to be a positive force for the team.

choppack1
    Participant

So you’re telling me that NC State is ahead of the curve and the rest of these guys are suckers for staying in school? Funny, I can’t think of any other school with the exception of Kentucky with as many early entrants in the draft….of course, most of their guys will be drafted. Our guys will be playing in exotic ports of call where the paychecks ain’t so regular.

tractor57
    Participant

Chop,
    No I’m saying there is a balance. Take your blinders off and actually look at other programs. Do I like the current system? No but I don’t like these athletes being considered as slaves either.

choppack1
    Participant

Tractor – it’s a bum deal for DSJ and the one and dones.

I seriously doubt guys like Mav or Kapita would command much more than the value of their scholarship, room, board. Training facilities and food on the free market. For most kids, the scholarship is more than equitable and probably more than they would demand on a free market. Now, it’s a different story for the top prospects in the revenue sports. Those guys are getting hosed.

I think Kapita is making an ill-advised decision. I think Yurts call is a bit more difficult.

I don’t blame kids for going pro when they are in a good position to do so. I question the decision when it’s clear that their prospects stink. Each situation is different. Lacy was older so I certainly understand his decision. (He also probably was either close to graduating or he could have been.)

Greywolf
    Participant

Greywolf wrote:

TK was anything but out of shape. That kid has a man’s body and a high motor. He’s also perfectly suited to this style of play. I thought he’d be an absolute terror in Keatts’ system.

I’d say that was a serious brain fart to say TK was out of shape. I don’t even know if Rowan was out of shape or not. LOL If there is some place they had rather be… I say, let ’em go.

wolfpack92owen
    Participant

Tractor – it’s a bum deal for DSJ and the one and dones.

I seriously doubt guys like Mav or Kapita would command much more than the value of their scholarship, room, board. Training facilities and food on the free market. For most kids, the scholarship is more than equitable and probably more than they would demand on a free market. Now, it’s a different story for the top prospects in the revenue sports. Those guys are getting hosed.

I think Kapita is making an ill-advised decision. I think Yurts call is a bit more difficult.

I don’t blame kids for going pro when they are in a good position to do so. I question the decision when it’s clear that their prospects stink. Each situation is different. Lacy was older so I certainly understand his decision. (He also probably was either close to graduating or he could have been.)

damn good post

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.