Survived. Advancing… NC State 74 – Xavier 59

Home Forums All StateFansNation Survived. Advancing… NC State 74 – Xavier 59

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Alpha Wolf
    Keymaster

T.J. Warren may start slow, but over the course of forty minutes, no one has been able to stop him completely.  Last night in Dayton, Warren missed hi[See the full post at: Survived. Advancing… NC State 75 – Xavier 59]

MrPlywood
    Participant
    wufpup76
    Keymaster
    graywolf
    Participant

Give Tyler Lewis credit too……he was part of this winning formula.

YogiNC
    Participant

Tyler was a monster. isn’t it funny how just two months ago the discussion was about him leaving the program. I guess he got his head on straight and dug in because he has been playing REALLY good ball lately. The feed to Vandy was unreal and TIMELY. In lots of ways he reminds me of Towe, but much better in lots of ways because he is an unreal passer.

Smarter than the average bear

choppack1
    Participant

Yogi – there is a chance that his head was on straight in the first place. Today was his best overall game since his freshman year….he doesn’t do well with a revolving door. He evidently has to “feel” the game.

Some players are like that. They have to be in a rhythm to be truly effective.

charger17
    Participant

Can’t believe I’m saying this, but for the first time all season I felt like we had other go to players on the team. I remember watching in the 2nd half when warren was taking a breather, we had 5 guys on the floor who all wanted to score: cat, turner, Washington, lee and Anya. Our offense was active and aggressive without warren. I remember thinking, so this is the beginning of what next year will look like. Last night, it actually looked pretty decent.

Gott said in the post game how much this team has grown up and I think we saw some of that last night.

JohnGalt78
    Participant

Ok everybody….same EXACT clothing (assuming you were clothed) for Thursday. No washing, no ironing, regardless of the stench. This works, I swear. Survive, advance, stink worse, survive, advance……

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Good morning Jiggs… and the rest of you guys….

It’s a nice day, isn’t it?

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    FergusWolf
    Participant

That was a very good performance by the team last night. When TJ went out with fouls/ankle early in the game made me appreciate the Maryland game, as that showed the team they could play without buckets on the court.

WBS, as others have remarked, deserved the game ball last night. The X was all over him the entire game and he only had 1 TO.

However, he looked EXHAUSTED at the end of the game. I hope that Cat is feeling better on Thursday, because we are going to need Tyler to get some rest for when we play Louisville on Saturday.

1.21 Jigawatts
    Keymaster

Good morning Jiggs… and the rest of you guys….

It’s a nice day, isn’t it?

It’s always a nice day after a Pack win.

The Pack did a great job last night, just a complete game all around. The Pack’s offense was better then their yearly average and better than Xavier’s defensive averages, while the Pack’s defense was better than their yearly averages and holding Xavier well below their average offensive efficiency. I was actually shocked to see how poorly the Pack were at offensive rebounding last night but even though they only grabbed 6 OR they had 12 second chance points. Pretty dang good fellas.

Numerous Pack players contributed in so many ways and it all added up to the 15 point victory. I hope the Pack remembers what a complete game on both ends of the floor looks like now and how defensive rebounding and steals helps create easy baskets. YMCA (Stainbrook) didn’t disappoint me last night in my prognostication that he is Xavier’s MVP. The Pack defense did a great job harrassing Christon and Martin and holding them far below their normal efficiency.

FergusWolf
    Participant

I also noted that we played with generally more comfortably than Xavier did. I’m guessing it’s because we have played so many games against really tough opponents that they seems average by comparison.

Another benefit of a tough OOC schedule an a tough conference.

1.21 Jigawatts
    Keymaster

Great find by Austin Johnson:

State has now moved to 17-1 (L is at Cuse) when it gives up less than 1.05 points per possession defensively. 5-12 when it gives up more.

Again, it’s not that the Pack needs a shutdown defense but an average one would mean the difference between last team in and Top 25 team.

Rick
    Keymaster

Great game and oh so fun to watch.
    WBS was unreal. I am not worried about him being tired Thursday. He is in great shape and he is young.

I hope Buckets ankle is not sore. Sometimes when you cool off it stiffens up.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Jiggs…

When you have some time… let’s play with that spreadsheet of yours… I’m curious….

Let make this new metric….
    (Points scored + Rebounds + Assists + Blocks + Steals ) Minus Turnovers = ProductionPoints

Then look back at what you did yesterday to find guys who scored in double figures in last ten games and change that to guys who had double digit “ProductionPoints” in the last eleven games… sorted H-L same as yesterday…

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    ILPackfan
    Participant

Lot of contributions last night. That’s what they’re going to need to keep doing if the kids want to keep winning this week. I hope Barber is over his flu by tomorrow.

tractor57
    Participant

Except for Xavier fans the game was a good one to watch and for State fans is was excellent of course.

I was impressed by the team as much as any one individual. True to “survive and advance”. Hopefully the Hipster Cat will be in better shape for the next game. With no back to back games fatigue is less of an issue as compared to the ACCT.

packof81
    Participant

It was an impressive performance. I was trilled to see the Tyler to Vandy scores. This team is definitely my trendy upset pick.

Texpack
    Participant

Ok everybody….same EXACT clothing (assuming you were clothed) for Thursday. No washing, no ironing, regardless of the stench. This works, I swear. Survive, advance, stink worse, survive, advance……

I fished the shirt and gym shorts out of the hamper Sunday evening after we got the bid. That’s why we won last night.

patientwuf
    Participant

Good stuff Jiggs.

Impressive TEAM effort by the pack last night. I’m more impressed with our toughness and how we finished the game. We completely broke Xavier’s will in the 2nd half. That’s what good TEAMS do-LOVE IT!!!

Justifying our NCAA bid feels very awesome. My apologies to Xavier for being undervalued by committee having to play its way in.

Xavier was completely out matched, causing me to rethink my Big East picks in the tournament.

GOTT it.

tractor57
    Participant

Wearing the same clothes – check but I AM NOT going through the colon cleanse again <g>.

1.21 Jigawatts
    Keymaster

Jiggs…

When you have some time… let’s play with that spreadsheet of yours… I’m curious….

Let make this new metric….
    (Points scored + Rebounds + Assists + Blocks + Steals ) Minus Turnovers = ProductionPoints

Then look back at what you did yesterday to find guys who scored in double figures in last ten games and change that to guys who had double digit “ProductionPoints” in the last eleven games… sorted H-L same as yesterday…

I don’t have that kind of time. Between job, family, next game previews, and everything else I have going on there’s just not enough time. What I can tell you is most of what you’re asking for is Offensive Efficiency and that can be found in several locations.

godfreyk
    Participant

Who is “Raulston” Turner?

44rules
    Participant

So BSW < WSW when it comes to 3-point shooting – by far. But recently, and especially last night, he was able to do something that would have made WSW an all-conference scorer: take a dribble or two and hit that pull-up jump shot – something that Buckets does quite well. Very nice.

Communism is not love. Communism is a hammer which we use to crush the enemy. Mao Zedong

Whiteshoes67
    Participant

^I agree, this makes Turner potentially more valuable. From 3, Turner is deadly when his feet are set, shoulders square, and he’s open. Wood had better range but lacked the ability to get his own shot or use a fake and step inside the line. When he drifted coming off screens, he wasn’t nearly as good either. Turner’s problem is still shot selection. Even last night, he took some ill advised shots. You can always get a shot from 3 with somebody in your face, why do it wit 20-25 seconds on the shot clock?

And Jigs, when you have time to crunch some more numbers, I’d be interested in knowing what our offensive FG%, turnovers, PPG are against top-50 competition. OUr offensive efficiency has skyrocketed late in the year.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.