Suffering From Football Related Brain Injuries, Former NC State QB Erik Kramer Hospitalized After Failed Suicide Attempt

Home Forums All StateFansNation Suffering From Football Related Brain Injuries, Former NC State QB Erik Kramer Hospitalized After Failed Suicide Attempt

Tagged: ,

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Alpha Wolf
    Keymaster

Really sad news about Erik Kramer, who started for NC State under Dick Sheridan in the mid 1980’s: Former Bears QB Erik Kramer was found with a self-i
    [See the full post at: Suffering From Football Related Brain Injuries, Former NC State QB Erik Kramer Hospitalized After Failed Suicide Attempt]

44rules
    Participant

He didn’t just “start” for Dick Sheridan; he helped resurrect the Wolfpack football team. I posted this a few days ago, but additional thoughts and prayers for EK are always welcome. Having suffered from this crap through much of my life, I really feel for them.

Communism is not love. Communism is a hammer which we use to crush the enemy. Mao Zedong

Alpha Wolf
    Keymaster

Indeed he did resurrect the program…people complained about TOB and MOC, but if they had been around for Kiffen and Reed they would know that State football was only good for drinking purposes before Sheridan.

I have some great memories of Kramer’s time — the win against SoCar and Clemson at home being the best ones. The Clemson game was a CBS national game before there really was a lot of cable choices for football, and the Tigers were not too many years after their national title. In a game in a driving rain that they were supposed to romp on us, we took them to the woodshed.

Anyhoo, I figured posting this on the front page would be a good idea, especially as the national sports sites start to take notice of it.

NCSU88
    Participant

Nov 1, 1986 South Carolina at NC State
    Skip to the 2:00 mark to see the Kramer/Peebles play

44rules
    Participant

Absolutely Alpha. The more love for EK and his family, the better.

Communism is not love. Communism is a hammer which we use to crush the enemy. Mao Zedong

MrPlywood
    Participant

This sucks. I hope he gets the help that he needs. I always pulled for Erik.

I just heard Jim McMahon on Dan Patrick and he sounded way better than he had before. He said that doctors had figured out what was going on with his head and have been able to deal with it effectively. I don’t know if EK’s situation is similar, but maybe with the spotlight on head injuries he will be able to get better.

Gowolves
    Participant

I was on that bank with my brother right up against the fence. Saw the whole play unfold. Awesome comes to mind.

Wufpacker
    Participant

Funny how the mind can trick you.

That would have been my Jr campaign as a CF drunkard (which perhaps explains a lot of the following), but all these years later I would have put money on the belief that that play went toward the NEZ up against the field house.

Unless Dick and Co. had a reverse angle going there, it would appear my memory ain’t what it used to be.

Hope there’s help for EK’s situation. As I recall, he was a pretty good dude.

NCSU88
    Participant

Anyone know if the NFL is teaming up with the military on Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) research? Our recent wars, especially with the IEDs have generated a tremendous number of casualties. I suspect there are some similarities in the cases. 22 veterans a day are taking their own lives.

Alpha Wolf
    Keymaster

GoWolves, I was up there with you that day.

PackFanInLA
    Participant

^^NCSU88 – two things the DoD & the NFL have in common:

1. Certain of their occupations are known to cause serious brain injury
    2. Both of them would rather punt on the problem than deal with it now.

The DoD has some valid excuses on the matter. The NFL does not. If you notice the stuff the NFL throws cash at to get headlines — it is super long-term research like CTE research (hmm… let’s wait 20 years to see how things progress). They are trying to protect their cash cow now. (I know there are also examples to the contrary) I have been involved in brain injury research for the DoD and also had discussions with the NFL, NFL teams, trainers, and associated research centers. Trust me, these NFL guys don’t want to fix the problem — or at least, not if it costs them their golden TV $$$ goose.

I love football, but the reality is that there is conclusive evidence that playing football as it is played today causes irreparable brain injury. I don’t think football should be allowed to be played professionally – a 20 year career between high school, college, and pros is simply too much for a human brain to take. You end up with these tragic situations. It is sad and unnecessary.

In the long term, pro football as it is played today is doomed… we can only close our eyes to the truth for so long. With the right rules changes and protections, amateur football could survive. People can choose to do things that are risky or harmful, but a civil society shouldn’t prop up such choices.

TheCOWDOG

Well said, PFIPasadena.
    Unfortunately, human evolution of the noggin, has not kept pace with the evolution of mass x speed.

tractor57
    Participant

To quote Saint Vince from decades ago “basketball is a contact sport, football is a collision sport”. Take that and add the “safety devices” (which become weapons all too often) the mass x speed comment is very real.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.