State's APR in Football and Basketball Low

Home Forums All StateFansNation State's APR in Football and Basketball Low

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Wulfpack
    Participant

North Carolina and N.C. State share the dubious distinction of being the poorest-scoring schools in the ACC in men’s basketball and football Academic Progress Rate, which the NCAA released Wednesday.

UNC has the worst four-year APR score in the ACC in men’s basketball (938) and football (938), while N.C. State had the worst scores in both sports for the 2012-13 academic year – the most recent one for which figures are available.

http://m.newsobserver.com/?cu=spreed%3A%2F16902170%2F34740972

Wulfpack
    Participant

UNC and N.C. State can blame, in part, relatively high levels of attrition for their low scores in basketball and football. N.C. State’s 2012-13 score of 868 in men’s basketball, for instance, can be traced in part to the departures of Lorenzo Brown and C.J. Leslie, both of whom left school to enter the NBA draft. Richard Howell, a senior on that team, did not graduate, which also negatively affected N.C. State’s score.

Makes sense, but we have to improve.

Despite its score of 868 last season in men’s basketball, N.C. State’s four-year score of 959 ranks ninth in the conference.

The relatively low basketball and football scores at UNC and N.C. State will not result in penalties, though they could if the scores remain poor. Penalties for low APR scores include reduced practice time, a reduction in games and coaching suspensions.

DRW
    Participant

I’m sure Debbie will get right to work on this….once she gets done scheduling a home and home football series with Prarie View A&M.

triadwolf
    Participant

Kids that leave early for the pros or transfer to another school should be removed from the equation. For the most part these events have little or no correlation to academics. I know in theory schools are supposed to be recruiting true student-athletes, but…

PackerInRussia
    Participant

I like the emphasis on getting kids to graduate since most will not be playing in the pros and will need a career to fall back on (other than English-Swahili interpreter). But, I don’t get the penalty for transfers either. It doesn’t seem too fair, but maybe there’s a good reason (with the NCAA I doubt it, though). Also, what about a player who leaves early and goes pro. He’s not graduated, but he’s been prepared for his future career and is now doing it. Doesn’t seem so bad either. Maybe you should get bonus points for that?

choppack1
    Participant

Graduation rate is a fools game. It encourages cheating and is entirely subjective. Translation: if you are trying to ensure that student athletes are both learning and literate it is the most idiotic measure possible.

The NCAA should administer tests for revenue generating sports….and if a certain % of athletes fail, you don’t field a team.

Mike
    Participant

If a player leaves early but continues to go to class, points are earned. If the player decides to go pro or transfer, quits going to class, then the program is penalized.

Perfect example would be Tyler – did he finish the semester? Or did he leave right away? If he finished the semester on good standing, his transfer does not hurt at all. If he left without finishing, or left in academic trouble, then his transfer would hurt the score.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.