State in the cellar

Home Forums All StateFansNation State in the cellar

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    StateFans
    Keymaster

Pack falls to 0-3 in the ACC in what is becoming an atrocious year. For the first time in his tenure, Gottfried has as team who is as bad on offense a
    [See the full post at: State in the cellar]

Wulfpack
    Participant

So, how much does UNC beat us by? Four touchdowns?

WTNY
    Participant

Thank goodness we play BC at home.

etab4u
    Participant

Wake is an improving team under Manning and they have always been hard to beat at home. Having said that, we are not good. No ball movement and don’t shoot well (understatement of the year). Defense requires 5 players all performing and working together. We are not there either. We do not play with confidence.
    Some of this is talent, a lot would seem to be coaching. With the exception of Cat’s steady improvement over the years I don’t see these players or this team picking up the next season where we left off the previous one. That’s disappointing.

PapaJohn
    Participant

Interesting to see so few comments. I almost didn’t post either.
    I think most of us have realized this season isn’t likely to turn out well and have just decided to focus elsewhere to preserve our sanity. This is rough.

tractor57
    Participant

Looks like a tough year ahead. Even so it is getting to be a tiresome routine (all the way through Gott’s tenure) that the discussion always turns to pitchforks and torches after every loss.

Ttown Wolfman
    Participant

If Abu gets more confident and starts making those 2 ft chippie shots, this team can move right back into contention for a NCAA berth.

Rick
    Keymaster

Interesting to see so few comments. I almost didn’t post either.
    I think most of us have realized this season isn’t likely to turn out well and have just decided to focus elsewhere to preserve our sanity. This is rough.

My guess is apathy will run wild (oxy moron?)

Rick
    Keymaster

Looks like a tough year ahead. Even so it is getting to be a tiresome routine (all the way through Gott’s tenure) that the discussion always turns to pitchforks and torches after every loss.

Maybe because Gott has coaching flaws that are apparent to everyone except him and I guess you.

StateRed44
    Participant

Is it just me or is Anya better off being heavier? Is he depressed? Why is he worse than last year?

Classof89
    Participant

I suggest ya’ll start following the womens team. Coach Moore is the real deal, and I think he’s building a program that is going to be in the top four in ACC in next two years. They are very young and thin at PG, but he’s managed to coach them to a 3-1 start in ACC play, with a huge game this week at Duke (a team that is ranked 18th nationally, but has been somewhat erratic this year).

mowog67
    Participant

In an attempt to stay positive, I believe there was some improvement shown last night. Some signs of better ball movement, a few less ill advised 3s and, IMO, Kirk put in a few good minutes in the first half.

Still plenty to drive me crazy from individual players and especially coaches, but I’ll hold my tongue on that stuff. This staff has a knack for getting the team playing it’s best ball late. Likely going to be too little, too late this year but I’ll just wait and see and hope they earn some respect along the way.

StateRed44
    Participant

I’d rather follow a different men’s team than follow our women’s basketball team. No thanks. That’s not gonna cure your sports jones.

Wufpacker
    Participant

’44…Ask and you shall receive. Go crazy, wildman.

Fan4life1
    Participant

Agreed. Players with high promise that sign here and play here don’t improve after arriving here. They are what they are… that has to say something about our program.

Pack1997
    Participant

I live in Winston so I go to a lot of Wake games. They are a good young team. Manning is building a solid program. A good coach is one who works with the talent he has, which we have not done. Our best team on the floor is the Martin twins Cat, Rowan and a big. Our spacing is terrible and we don’t have anyone other than Cat who can create. We lacked intensity throughout the game. Most State fans were guiet even when we made runs to tie or take the lead. It’s clear the fan base sees this as what it is, a crappy year.

While I haven’t been a fan of those talking an suggesting we go after Archie, I do think we need a new direction. The talent gap only gets worse next year, and I would rather bring someone in to stop the bleeding than bleed out.

StateRed44
    Participant

Sign up the guy with the Afro. No takers on what’s wrong with BJ? As Trump says, “He’s low energy”. Unlock the dang frig again.

tractor57
    Participant

“Maybe because Gott has coaching flaws that are apparent to everyone except him and I guess you. ”

Rick you miss my point entirely. I did not say the negative posts were not warranted. What I’m saying is there has been a pattern for a LONG time – actually going back to that guy we do not mention. So I know what to expect. Maybe that is why participation is down.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

More likely, mediocre to poor results on the court/field reduce most people’s enthusiasm for further discussion.

Rick
    Keymaster

“Maybe because Gott has coaching flaws that are apparent to everyone except him and I guess you. ”

Rick you miss my point entirely. I did not say the negative posts were not warranted. What I’m saying is there has been a pattern for a LONG time – actually going back to that guy we do not mention. So I know what to expect. Maybe that is why participation is down.

Given you say this has been going on a long time, why would people all of a sudden now stop if they were tired of it? Possible I guess but very coincidental given the performance we have seen from both teams this year. BTW the other sites are just as “negative”. Its possible people are simply sick of NCSU sports all together. Given I watched a grand total of five minutes of the game last night and almost none of the bowl game I can tell you my desire to watch NCSU sports is at an all time low.

But you could be right, maybe some are tired of the “negative” posts even though it is nothing new.

tractor57
    Participant

VA a valid point going back to whatshisname. But there is a recurring theme. For example long ago I quit checking here after any loss right after that loss. The opposite is true after a win but I still usually do not read right after a game.

Prowling Woofie
    Participant

Maybe it’s an indictment of AAU ball, or high school ball, or both, but I am dismayed as a life-long rec ball player who coached several years in my sons’ youth ball leagues. I didn’t play in the NBA, or even college. Yet, I get extremely frustrated at the lack of fundamental basketball being displayed on the court over the last several years.

I guess “modern” basketball is slamming down thunderous dunks or jacking up threes, period. I don’t see any ball movement, any player movement, any pick and rolls, any low block post ups, no drop steps, no back door cuts (or even back screens), and very few attempts at a high-low post up with our bigs.

I don’t see how scholarships can be given to players that don’t know how to play the game, how these kids arrive on campus with no knowledge of fundamental offensive moves/principles, and how they can make it to the beginning of the season without being taught or expected to display said fundamentals.

Leads to a “game” that is not worth watching.

You either luck into a group of athletic freaks, or you have to coach your ass off. This year, we have the privilege of watching Cat Barber. What he is doing is simply phenomenal. That may be all we get.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Yes, what Cat is doing is phenomenal. He’s unstoppable.

But I am going to say this knowing the flak is coming, but his play is doing the TEAM no favors. That’s not on Cat. That’s squarely on the staff. He’s doing whatever he can to keep is in games, and without him we’d be lucky to have won a game. But everybody is just standing around watching the Cat show, and it’s not good for the future of this program.

wolfpack92owen
    Participant

Yes, what Cat is doing is phenomenal. He’s unstoppable.

But I am going to say this knowing the flak is coming, but his play is doing the TEAM no favors. That’s not on Cat. That’s squarely on the staff. He’s doing whatever he can to keep is in games, and without him we’d be lucky to have won a game. But everybody is just standing around watching the Cat show, and it’s not good for the future of this program.

I dont agree with you and I am certainly not going to give you flak as I can kindof see your point. I like that about him truthfully. Shame its wasted on this year.

As I have said a few times before he is going to hit the proverbial wall or get hurt if he keeps up the pace and style he has been playing. Nobody can sustain what he is doing with the hard checks, hard fouls etc and not pay a price for it especially in the meat of the ACC season.

Prowling Woofie
    Participant

No flak from me – I agree. He’s doing what he has to do, because the coaching staff hasn’t done its duty to prepare the other players to contribute.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.