State Firmly Ranked in “Ridiculously Early” 2015/16 Top 25 Hoops Polls

Home Forums All StateFansNation State Firmly Ranked in “Ridiculously Early” 2015/16 Top 25 Hoops Polls

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    Alpha Wolf
    Keymaster

Expectations are going up — way up — for Wolfpack hoops next season. It seems as soon as the last notes of “One Shining Moment” are played in the NC
    [See the full post at: State Firmly Ranked in “Ridiculously Early” 2015/16 Top 25 Hoops Polls]

JeremyH
    Participant

Between 20 – 25 sounds about right to me.

“The Wolfpack revealed their true talent how they play when they’re peaking, in March.”

fixed that.

Tau837
    Participant

There’s a chance Cat Barber turns pro

Really? I think that would be shocking.

xphoenix87

Yeah, there’s no way Cat leaves. He’d be lucky to be drafted this year.

Barring something catastrophic happening in the offseason, I’ll be disappointed if we don’t spend most of next season in the top 25. The talent is there, the chemistry is there, and the experience is there. Even if Henderson doesn’t pan out (and I’m fairly confident he’ll be a solid piece), I’m totally comfortable with Caleb Martin sliding into that starting spot.

The big X-Factor is Abu. If he’s as good as I think he’s going to be, we have a chance to be an elite team. He’s got an NBA body already, and shockingly good raw skills (soft touch and good passing instincts). If he puts the work in this summer (and by all reports, he’s a really hard worker) and puts some polish on those skills, he could be one of the best post players in the ACC, if not the country. The potential is there for that.

BJD95
    Keymaster

Thank God Cat is 6’2″ and not 6’5.”

That being said, anything between 10-15 is accurate in my estimation. 15-20 is what I would expect, because we have something to prove as a program. I get that.

wufpup76
    Keymaster

There’s a chance Cat Barber turns pro

Really? I think that would be shocking.

Has anyone else heard a thing about this? At all?

If not, why report it? If the author has some info – why not source it? No standards at all when it comes to media. Infuriating. “I pull things out of my ass and it’s news!”.

packalum44
    Participant

Next year could be the peak of Gott’s career.

Lacey will be gone and Cat goes pro. No recruits in sight for next year (except 2 longshot one-and-dones).

Enjoy 2015/16 fellas it should be a good ride but don’t get used to it.

Wufpacker
    Participant

MrPlywood
    Participant

Enjoy 2015/16 fellas it should be a good ride but don’t get used to it.

I thought we had a “no spoilers” policy here?

TheCOWDOG

Nostradamus
    Edgar Cayce
    Jean Dixon
    Packalum44?

Pack85EE
    Participant

“Next year could be the peak of Gott’s career.

Lacey will be gone and Cat goes pro. No recruits in sight for next year (except 2 longshot one-and-dones).”

Although I will certainly take a 5 star next year’s team does not have any real needs. I’m confident the following year he brings in a very good class. Not expecting a Kentucky or Duke group of 5 stars that can win it all as freshmen but several 4 stars that will replace and compliment what we have.
    If he falls way back in his recruiting two years in a row then maybe Gott’s not the guy but for now I think he is. I have since his first solid recruiting class.

PapaJohn
    Participant

Hilarious! Nice choice with the Debbie Downer vid. Please let us enjoy this a little longer.

It’s seems a contradiction that we’re thought of as Top 20 material for next year, and simultaneously only #24 in the final USA Today coach’s poll. After making it to the S16. Strange logic.

Glad to see that none of the outlets are dropping any titillating rumors about departures, and you know they would, were there anything to talk about. Hopefully, this group is tight and will bond together even more this year with their off season preparations.

The goal is that the media get used to the idea of our being ranked and we stay there. It’s about time.

Pack85EE
    Participant

Of all possible departures I’m most worried about Trevor Lacey leaving early. But blame Ernie Myers for that.

choppack1
    Participant

IMHO – perhaps the 2 most important players are for nc state’s long term outlook are the twins. If they can improve their handle and outside shot (which they need to do if they want to play in the “association”) – they can become the perfect 3/4 year guys.

Their height and athleticism makes them perfect candidates to play 4 positions on the floor.

If one can grow into someone who can run the point that gives gott a ton of options in building his line-up in the future and 2 years in the future also looks durn good.

If one can become that this year – they can adequately back up cat. (Lacey really struggled at the point towards the end of the year.)

Alpha Wolf
    Keymaster

I don’t know about y’all, but I am kind of enjoying have my hopes up.

I’m only worried about next year right now. Win, and the bluechip recruits will come.

choppack1
    Participant

Alpha – I agree. The “recruiting” this year is having guys stay and buying into a similar role for the upcoming year while improving their skills.

If we can do that all that remains is developing a toughness that the great teams have.

We do that I firmly believe we can beat anyone in the country. (Heck, we beat the defending champs this year and also beat the consensus no. 1 team on their home court.

This is our window. I am pretty sure gott realizes it. Hopefully the play do as well.

Tau837
    Participant

The big X-Factor is Abu. If he’s as good as I think he’s going to be, we have a chance to be an elite team. He’s got an NBA body already, and shockingly good raw skills (soft touch and good passing instincts). If he puts the work in this summer (and by all reports, he’s a really hard worker) and puts some polish on those skills, he could be one of the best post players in the ACC, if not the country. The potential is there for that.

I agree with all this. Even better, I think you can say almost the exact same thing about Anya. His strengths and weaknesses are different, but he too has a NBA body and a great foundation if he works hard enough. When is the last time our program had two future NBA bigs on the roster? I can’t remember, maybe all the way back to V.

And at the same time, we also have our best point guard since V. Good times.

Alpha Wolf
    Keymaster

Something about this group gives me hope. There seems to be hardly any drama on the court. They seem to get along with each other, they play will together and seem to be coachable. (If they weren’t they wouldn’t have been able to muster second halves like they did more times than not in the last month of the year.)

A lot of the older guys came back last year stronger, more athletic and with improving skills than they showed at the end of 2013/14. I realize the biggest leap is usually between frosh and sophomore years, but I do expect even further improvements to come in this offseason. For example, if Anya adds endurance during this summer, it will be added to the strength he added a year ago. If that happens he will play more quality minutes because he won’t be tired. He’ll foul less when he’s not as tired late in contests. And as for Abu and the other freshmen? Expect a big step forward.

Other players need to work on their frees throws so that they remain viable options to handle the ball during winning time. And so on.

It’s up to them, but there really is the making of a champion-calibre team in this group. Given a top four ACC finish, they could finally have a decent bracket in the conference tournament. They would also be a far better seed in the NCAAT, putting them into a position for a long run. But…it’s up to them how good they want to be.

bill-1956
    Participant

I’ve been thinking the exact same thing as bjd.

Ranking from 15 to 20 due to ‘do it first, talk later / actions speak louder than words” factor. But that we’d really be a 10 to 15 team.

If things ‘click’ on a consistant basis – hanging around the 10 spot would be just about right.

I’m already ramped up!

Wufpacker
    Participant

Although I will certainly take a 5 star next year’s team does not have any real needs. I’m confident the following year he brings in a very good class. Not expecting a Kentucky or Duke group of 5 stars that can win it all as freshmen but several 4 stars that will replace and compliment what we have.
    If he falls way back in his recruiting two years in a row then maybe Gott’s not the guy but for now I think he is. I have since his first solid recruiting class.

Agreed on all points. And as a really smart dude alluded to recently in another thread, there’s something to be said for not recruiting over the talent we already have.

13OT
    Participant

Duke has convinced me that talent not only trumps experience, but almost every time. State is going to be good next season, and I firmly believe the Wolfpack is going to have a shot at the national top ten as well as an elusive ACC Championship.

If they can do really well next season, they will only get better because it will help recruiting, BIG TIME. Maybe we’ll finally be in a position to sell ourselves as a team on the rise, without the coach having to beg.

After all these long and difficult seasons, I think I’m finally seeing a light at the end of the tunnel, and for once it isn’t an oncoming train with Duke or UNC pained on the side of it.

I’m looking forward to holding season tickets again next year!

Wufpacker
    Participant

After all these long and difficult seasons, I think I’m finally seeing a light at the end of the tunnel, and for once it isn’t an oncoming train with Duke or UNC pained on the side of it.

I’m looking forward to holding season tickets again next year!

Who are you and what have you done with 13OT?

13OT
    Participant

LOL, Wufpacker!

+1

choppack1
    Participant

Duke has convinced me that talent not only trumps experience, but almost every time.

What about last year when they lost in the first round? This team became great because they played great d. The critical turning point came when 2 of the top 5 picks in the upcoming NBA draft were on the bench.

Like UConn last year, they had a guard get right at the right time. I think gott has come a long way as a coach, but I don’t think anyone but coach k or calapari can hang banners with freshmen playing such a key role.

Personally, I love the way gott is recruiting right now. I thought we had a punchers chance at anyone not named Kentucky this year and next year I will take our talent (as it stands right now) vs. Anyone.

As jigs #s prove, we have a long way to go defensively before we can feel confident in making that kind of run (or more accurately) sustaining a high level of play throughout the season.

In short, if nothing changes we’ll have the “joes” next season.

ancsu87
    Participant

“As jigs #s prove, we have a long way to go defensively before we can feel confident in making that kind of run (or more accurately) sustaining a high level of play throughout the season.”

The stats concluded Gottv at NC State was nothing more than a first weekend coach. Yet he made the Sweet 16 twice in four year years and beat the #1 seed to do it this year. Stats can be manipulated to support the conclusion one wants to make. Bottom line results can’t be dismissed so easily.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.