State beats Clemson 66-61

Home Forums All StateFansNation State beats Clemson 66-61

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 147 total)
  • Author
    wufpup76
    Keymaster

Trevor, opposing teams will only —- with you even more if you lose your composure. Talk with Chris Paul.

If you watch a replay – watch Lacey. He’s playing to the crowd and reacting to the refs … His head is everywhere but in the game. It was a really disappointing showing imo. He could be a near unstoppable player if he decided to be disciplined and focused.

Khan
    Participant

We pretty much won because Clemson went on a nearly 15 minute scoring drought in the second half. They made a bunch of dumb mistakes and dumb decisions. Had they played with any competence, we would not have won that game. It amazes me how much we dribble dribble dribble dribble, pass around the perimeter, dribble dribble dribble dribble, pass around the perimeter, dribble dribble dribble dribble step-back jumper. Every now and then, somebody will drive to the bucket with a slight bit of vision and pass to an open player after drawing the defense. And, we have no big men that can do anything in the post when they’re not wide open.

Clemson was not very good. Our D did show up and least, and that certainly had something to do with Clemson’s poor performance. But we had better figure out how to run some sort of an effective offense, or it’s going to be a short run in any tournaments we play in. It is just ugly watching us try to score.

Trout
    Participant

http://www.unf.edu/~jcoleman/dance.htm

Moved up 3 spots on Dancecard to 26

BPI 40, RPI 46

Daniel_Simpson_Day
    Participant

Trout says “Clemson scored 33 points in the first 36:30
    28 in the last 3:30”

Clemson’s Gabe DeVoe scored 15 points in the last 68 seconds.

Texpack
    Participant

Gott moves to 2-2 in Littlejohn. Beat ‘Cuse and we should make the field without going to Dayton. Our one distinct advantage over ‘Cuse is our 3-Pt%. Bayhime will focus on extending his zone. Abu, Frenchie, KW, and KH are going to need to find the seams and make some mid range stuff to keep them sucked in some.

Frenchie needs to shoot 1000 13 ft jumpers and 2000 FTs per day this summer. If he can upgrade his offense to 8-9 ppg that would be a huge boost. After tonight it will be time to plug all of the scenarios into the NASA computers and see what our seeding and game time(s) will be in Greensboro.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Agree that the offense is very concerning (as is the late game execution/strategy). But we did what we had to do – avoided disaster.

BJD95
    Keymaster

I can’t assign my percentages until I see who our ACCT Wednesday foe would be. Need to know how “bad” a loss it would be.

Trout
    Participant

Any additional wins, and we are in.

But let’s play NC State $H*T and say we lose to Syracuse and then lose Wed in ACCT. We would be 18-14. Still in?

For ACCT: we are either going to be 6th or 7th seed, most likely (not sure how all the tiebreakers work), could possibly be 8 or 9.

(8) vs. (9) — Noon, ESPN / ACC Network
    (5) vs. (12) Boston College / (13) Georgia Tech winner — 2 p.m., ESPN / ACCN
    (7) vs. (10) Florida State — 7 p.m., ESPN / ACC Network
    (6) vs. (11) Wake Forest / (14) Virginia Tech winner — 9 p.m., ESPN / ACCN

BJD95
    Keymaster

Lose, Lose = Out. For Sure.

BJD95
    Keymaster

Lose, Win, Loss = Pray for Play-in Round

Trout
    Participant

Lose, Lose = Out, I could see happening. But I don’t think it is 100%. IMO we Lose, Win,Lose = In. One more win and we are IN. For Sure!

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

it’s going to be a short run in any tournaments we play in.

Did anyone really expect anything different out of this season? [Stupid question, I know]
    I’m happy that we’re talking about the NCAAT and not the NIT.

Rick
    Keymaster

Trevor, opposing teams will only —- with you even more if you lose your composure. Talk with Chris Paul.

If you watch a replay – watch Lacey. He’s playing to the crowd and reacting to the refs … His head is everywhere but in the game. It was a really disappointing showing imo. He could be a near unstoppable player if he decided to be disciplined and focused.

His mannerisms are very strange. It is like he is not paying attention a lot of the time. Agree on him being unstoppable if he focused.

BJD95
    Keymaster

The committee values regular season wins more than opening round tourney wins. And it will view a Wednesday win as still being preliminary, in my view. It will also matter who said Wednesday opponent is. If it’s a total dog like FSU or Wake, it will mean jack shit.

Trout
    Participant

Bubble is very weak this year. We get to 19 wins, we are in, I dont care how it happens. Top 5 SOS, .500 conference record, 3 Top 20 RPI wins.

Gowolves
    Participant

Kahn,

If I understand your comments you are apologizing for the win? I guess I don’t see it that way. Syracuse went down there in early February and got destroyed. The big picture is that the Pack have won 4 out of the last five. Three of those on the road. Two against the top 15 in the country. Think about that. This team was not projected to make the NCAA. I am not saying I am happy to be a just above average program either but State has not experienced this level of success since the V days.

The tournament will be short for 34 teams. Can’t have any success to build on if you don’t get in.

Rick
    Keymaster

Did anyone really expect anything different out of Gott coached teams ? [Stupid question, I know]

FTFY

BJD95
    Keymaster

It is indeed a weak bubble, particularly because the B1G, Pac 12, and mid-majors are so very bad this year. Still, we shouldn’t get comfortable at all. Just beat Syracuse.

I loved BSW’s honest quote about how even he hasn’t figured this team out yet, so how could our opponents? That’s the essence of our bunch of lovable knuckleheads right there. Let’s try to just enjoy the ride, with ether like Hunter S. Thompson and Monty Burns would recommend.

And Smithers? Leave the rag!

wufpup76
    Keymaster

Lose, Lose = Out, I could see happening. But I don’t think it is 100%. IMO we Lose, Win,Lose = In. One more win and we are IN. For Sure!

^I agree with this completely. Last night may have locked it up – but the team needn’t think that.

It’s largely dependent upon what others do over this last week and a half, but there are some really weak resumes in contention for at-large slots. State’s schedule strength plus wins over top teams will be difficult to keep out. Unless this committee is drastically different, each one greatly rewards schedule strength and road wins – a good sign for State.

Let’s just make it a moot point by State crushing on Saturday 🙂

Rick
    Keymaster

Last four years under Gott
    2014-15 18-12 (probably 20-14)
    2013-14 22-14
    2012-13 24-11
    2011-12 24-13

I think it is safe to say we see a trend.

ryebread
    Participant

It doesn’t matter if it was ugly. It was a win at Clemson which has been a house of horrors for us in the last 10 years. They’re sort of like WF in football for us, but in basketball. That’s a team that we think we should beat, but often lose on the road to.

Interestingly Clemson is one of only 3 ACC teams with in-league winning record against State over the past 10 years. The other two are Duke and UNC. Syracuse is still up, but those were non-conference games. I believe Maryland did as well, but they’re no longer in the league. Not beating teams like Clemson and Maryland has been what has held us back more than our pitiful winning percentages against UNC and Duke.

As for Clemson, they play ugly ball. When they hired Brownell, I thought it was a good move. I had him for a dark horse NC State candidate when he was still at Wright State based on what he’d done there and at UNC-W. I don’t know what’s holding his recruiting back at Clemson, but he’s just not getting the types of players it is going to take to get over the hump in the ACC.

I unfortunately couldn’t see the game last night. I could see a replay of Duke beating Butler in the title, but couldn’t see a live game in the ACC’s “footprint.” Thanks Raycom. You rule.

Win against Syracuse and we’re in. Lose and the BC, Wofford, Wake and Purdue losses may keep us out unless we win 2 in the ACC tournament.

It’s the season for Syracuse. They’re going to come out ready to play. They’ve been better as the spoiler and I’m sure are motivated to win their last game. I hope we treat it with the same intensity and motivation. If we sit around and chuck up 3 pointers against the zone, we’ll get beaten handily.

Trout
    Participant

Why the huge disparity between DanceCard and the Palm’s and Lunardi’s of the world?

bill-1956
    Participant

Awful shooting, especially in the first half (fortunately Clemson’s was too); not the best free throw shooting, hostile away crowd, and Jamie Luckie.

An ugly win which we’ll take and get out of town quickly any day of the week.

wufpup76
    Keymaster

Why the huge disparity between DanceCard and the Palm’s and Lunardi’s of the world?

^Palm at least admits his subjective bias, not sure about Lunardi. I think they’re both a bit too numbers-focused … on specific numbers. Texas A&M hardly belongs on even a ‘Next 4 Out’ line, yet they get brownie points for their RPI number and for having played Kentucky close. I think Lunardi has us pegged a bit better than Palm this season.

Dance Card is much has us slotted much more accurately imo.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

[NCAAT Selection Committee] will view a Wednesday win as still being preliminary, in my view. It will also matter who said Wednesday opponent is. If it’s a total dog like FSU or Wake, it will mean jack shit.

If you find yourself on the bubble going into the ACCT:
    You can take a step forward and move past the other rabble. (Win on Thurs)
    You can stand still and hope that enough teams fall back. (Lose on Thurs)

In the past, I have said that losing on Wed is taking a step backwards, but I’m not so sure anymore. How would losing on Wed be any worse than losing to WF or BC already? Besides, everyone on the bubble has some warts on their resume. Last year, Iowa finished something like 1-6 with several bad losses and made the NCAAT.

In the post-selection article last year, there was some interesting data on BYU supporting the conclusion that “bad losses” don’t really have a discernible negative impact on bubble teams. I’m beginning to think that in this instance, one (more) aw-shit doesn’t wipe out a bunch of atta-boys.

Last year’s post-selection entry (long but one of my more useful articles):
    http://www.statefansnation.com/2014/03/bubble-bursts/

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 147 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.