So with things awful, slow, though I'd …

Home Forums All StateFansNation So with things awful, slow, though I'd …

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    44rules
    Participant

post a Trea Turner update:

https://www.si.com/mlb/2017/05/05/trea-turner-washington-nationals-stolen-bases

My favorite era of baseball was the speed era of the 70s and 80s. The Royals, Cards, etc. Would rather see an SB or a triple than a bunch of fat sluggers.

Communism is not love. Communism is a hammer which we use to crush the enemy. Mao Zedong

44rules
    Participant

ugggh, thought, not though. If somebody can edit that I’d appreciate not looking like too much of an idiot …

Communism is not love. Communism is a hammer which we use to crush the enemy. Mao Zedong

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

speaking of slow times and slow ball…

where’s McCallum and Troll these days…

one’s down in Jawja, gone with the wind… I suppose….
    the other, idk….

———————-

yep 44…. it’s Baseball season…
    There’s Nothing in sports like Baseball…

Yankees, Indians && Astros in first place in the AL…
    Nationals, CUBS, && Rockies in first place in the NL…

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    McCallum
    Participant

Just knocking back some coffee and cold chillin’.

I’ve taken interest in the comments of Rick Gunn. I’m rolling around some Doug Kenneyish type of response to how Rick missed the actions of unc these last 25 years which are nearly as apparent the small face on his large nose.

Baseball season in full swing as well.

Peace out

McCallum

McCallum
    Participant

Check out Spaulding Smails on LinkedIn.

McCallum

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

CUBS and Yankees tied at 4 in the top of the 11th…

It’s a long way till October….

Good night Irene…

gso packbacker
    Participant

Funny stuff on the Spaulding Smails profile. “I want a hamburger, no a cheeseburger..”

Looks like it could be a good year for my O’s.

highstick
    Participant

Speaking of long games…I hadn’t been at Ft Meade less than 2 months and we decide to go to DC this night for a baseball game…Or should I say, a “never ending game”!

http://dcbaseballhistory.com/2016/06/this-day-in-d-c-baseball-history-casanovas-long-night/

"Whomp 'em, Up, Side the Head"!

TheCOWDOG

Turner stole home the other night, but the thing that I find intriguing, if you will, the dude is capable of breaking the career record for hitting the cycle.

He has just enough pop to go yard at any given moment, and the speed to turn a double into a 3 bagger….essentially, the albatross, and the next thing ya know…

Career record is 3. He has 1 already.

Greywolf
    Participant

Botb. I remember the Senators: First in war, first in peace, last in the American League.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Grey… I knew you were a couple years older than me, but…

that’s a Baseball classic…
    from Charles Dryden — 1904

By 1960, I was a Yankee fan and a couple years later played Catcher on my first Team…
    you can ‘blame’ Yogi Berra, not my Coach for that…

YogiNC
    Participant

BOTB, take one guess where my nickname came from. And I’m probably about 3 years younger since mine came about in 1963. Unfortunately two guys named Koufax and Drysdale mowed ’em down in quick fashion, proving you can’t win when you can’t score. 4 runs in four games, I kept thinking “how can Mantle and Maris not even get on base”. My grandfather, a Yankees fan, was none too happy.

Smarter than the average bear

MrPlywood
    Participant

Turner stole home the other night, but the thing that I find intriguing, if you will, the dude is capable of breaking the career record for hitting the cycle.

Just like C’Dog to stir up some controversy. I don’t get the hype around the cycle. It’s an oddity which somehow seems separate from the game. I’ve seen games when a guy needs a single for the cycle, and the announcers are hoping for a single. As a batter I’d want another homer. If those hits were timely and produced runs, then fine. Otherwise I’d rather have a 4 homer game, or 3 homers and a triple, or…

TheCOWDOG

Hah, Ply, you rascal. Yes, it is an oddity, a rarity in the scope of things. Indeed, the 4 homer game is much more scarce in the diamond annals, but hitting for the cycle is a blast.

4in12
    Participant

My favorite baseball oddity was the kid on my son’s high school team who hit a grand slam and threw a no-hitter in the same game.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

My favorite baseball oddity was the Braves actually winning the World Series in ’95….

McCallum
    Participant

Only one player to hit the homerun cycle in all of pro-ball and that was Tyrone Horne of Troy, NC.

He wasn’t even in the top 3 baseball players in the County his junior or senior years.

McCallum

MrPlywood
    Participant

Speaking of baseball… St. Louis Cardinals.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.