Shall we be Liberal with Christmas Presents, or not?

Home Forums All StateFansNation Shall we be Liberal with Christmas Presents, or not?

Viewing 12 posts - 26 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    tractor57
    Participant

^ If you don’t to participate in a thread you have the power but obviously want to participate.

YogiNC
    Participant

May the force be with you BOTB. I do like the V Foundation idea. Who but an idiot could argue with fighting cancer, but then there is the idiot thing.

Smarter than the average bear

McCallum
    Participant

Everyone knows the ACLU, not everyone knows the SPLC and I’ve never heard of the last one. I’m sure the last one has more than enough scientific minded English majors parading around in the name of that great oxymoron, clean water.

SPLC is the nastiest of the lot. It wages ethnic and cultural warfare on behalf of its donors and founders who are to say the least, easily defined.

I’d compromise and send a donation to each in the form of a package.

For Richard Cohen and Morris Seligman Dees I’d include a card as an extra bonus.

Tell your sister in law to find a man or at least send her the Hickory Farms special Christmas sausage sampler.

Merry Christmas losers.

McCallum

*wirogers if you are reading this I’ve been forced to go skiing. I’ve no time to be in NC and will be traveling in the accursed name of having fun and relaxing.

choppack1
    Participant

In general, folks should be empathetic enough not to request politically-oriented gifts unless they are confident the giver shares the same passion.

It’s a bit like asking your atheist uncle to give to your church. And hey, I get the credit, so killing 2 birds with one stone. I get the rationale – if you are like me – if you dont have it, it’s either because you don’t want it or can’t afford it – so most of your gift givers can’t afford it either.

It would have been much more noble of these folks to request that you choose a local charity where confidence is high that the dollars are going directly to the intended recipient rather than activities that a significant % of the population may not support.

To teach a lesson botb – I would give to a legit charity in their name and use it as a teachable moment and see if theh return the favor. Hopefully, that can change hearts and minds, but kind of doubtful.

tractor57
    Participant

We decided each person should decide what cause to support. Luckily even if we have differing political views we do not use those as a weapon for family warfare. Depends on the family of course.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Morning…

Please understand we’re talking about five or six presents, not one…

One from the wife and I, as we normally do, or in rare cases two…
    one each from our four kids, ages 19 -30.

Mac… six boxes — that’s a whole lot of sausage for two vegetarians…
    and in any case, it would probably go bad before they opened it… the ladies are in China or Vietnam or somewhere for the Holidays. I’m told that it costs too much to come back to East Coast for Christmas.

I’m thinking those are emotional, not financial, costs.

It’s way too late for me to be trying to teach most of them any big life lessons.

Looking back… Thirty years ago — I’d probably sent the damn sausage.

These days… I’m just trying to keep the Culture War out of the kitchen here.

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    choppack1
    Participant

Botb – I hear you and I can relate. Hopefully, you and yours have a Merry Christmas and you enjoy your pops! (I enjoyed a few lsst night secure in the knowledge that today would be a low consumption day due to church stuff and trying to get my kid to stop acting like a maniac.)

Kids do make Christmas special again – but make it a lot more work.

And that Merry Christmas goes out to the entire statefans community. Hopefully, it is a safe and satisfying time..and hopefully, our country and state can find the civility that I believe we have here.

Peace.

YogiNC
    Participant

Mac… six boxes — that’s a whole lot of sausage for two vegetarians…

THAT was funny! Thanks botb, still laughing. I needed that.

The position you’re in reminds me of a great far side cartoon by Larson. Guy is standing in front of two doors, one says Damned if you do, the other says Damned if you don’t. He looks perplexed. I feel your pain. I have outlaws that have been a thorn in my side for decades. Last Christmas I finally divested myself from them, to quote Tiny Tim, “God bless us every one”. The early out plan you’ve come up with sounds like a winner for at least a portion of the conundrum.

Smarter than the average bear

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Well… everything went according to the game plan…

No fuss, no political discussions for the last 36 hours…

We had a nice, polite, boring Christmas yesterday…
    I got a red sweater, some shirts and pants… just like I’m supposed…
    Mama got some flowers, some jewelry and some cute things to look at and clutter up the house with…
    Very traditional.

The biggest stupid thing was that the older kids came by Saturday pm to get all the presents here and take ’em down to the Beach House they rented… and they stole all the sausage and bacon, all but two eggs out of the frig so Me and Mama didn’t have any Christmas breakfast…

whatever…

Maybe older the kids will stay for the Bowl Game tonight, idk…
    they are welcome to if they want to…

choppack1
    Participant

Glad it went OK Bill. Christmas here was pretty special. These are the salad years – with a 8 / almost 9 year old.

Trying to figure out what to do for the bowl game. Watch it here and deal with distractions of home or go to local pub and hope juke box knuckleheads don’t show up or watch it elsewhere.

Pack78
    Participant

As some sage stated last year, watching the Pack is fun in a bar, but in your den you are free to cuss and throw things…

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

I forgot to mention in my closing report above…

The Ladies gave me a nice T.Hilfinger Red Pullover sweater to add to my collection of Red Sweaters for Christmas…
    I guess they decided they had poked the bear enough…

I’ve subsequently told UPS to redirect that box of Chilies, Bananas and Cukes that was headed that way….

Now, in all seriousness, I really appreciate all of ya’ll support with this matter…

NOT the worse Christmas ever…

Viewing 12 posts - 26 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.