Shad in trouble again….no joke.

Home Forums StateFans Football Shad in trouble again….no joke.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    JohnGalt78
    Participant

Raleigh police have charged Shad in a scooter accident near campus last night. Apparently he hit a guy crossing the street. Shad left the scene. The guy was not seriously hurt. Geez he’s a magnet for trouble!

Wufpacker
    Participant

Don’t wanna jump to any conclusions, but there’s an obvious question here which will need answering, both legally and otherwise.

TWolf78
    Participant

C’mon Shad! It’s bad enough that you just got suspended for two games, don’t blow your entire career! Understandable that there are questions that are going to linger around this, but Shad just needs to stay in his dorm apparently.

Gowolves
    Participant

I commented after the last incident he needed to go. Now I question DD if he is still on this team. This is a pattern of stupid decisions. The kid is selfish. He NEEDS to go. Run from the scene, really?

BassPacker
    Participant

Hit someone on a moped….really? We got several liquor cycle drivers in our community, can’t recall one incident with them over the years. They have a harder time walking into the liquor store than driving their liquor cycle there. Shad is the ultimate “C’Mon on Man” !!

TheCOWDOG

Something isn’t quite right, here. He wasn’t charged for hit and run.

I have questions before I pronounce banishment.

Adventuroo
    Participant

WRAL says “Failure to lend aid”. Don’t know how that differs from hit and run. Several units on scene.
    Past posts here have mentioned his moped issues.

DD really has little choice.

Texpack
    Participant

If you want to stay out of trouble you need a .357 and a rented Escalade from a drug dealer. Mopeds and BB guns will get you hard time.

^CD – The other charge along with the failure to render aid was failure to provide information, so I’m guessing he wouldn’t show or provide ID.

Mopeds used to be the legal equivalent of a bicycle. I’m surprised to learn that leaving the scene of a bicycle incident is a crime.

I’m not sure Shad survives this, but an arrest does seem a bit over the top to me, initially.

tjfoose1
    Participant

Yeah, something ain’t right here. We’re not getting the whole story, yet. But still, DUMB.

HUGE loss. HUGE. The chances if hitting our ceiling just took a very big hit.

tjfoose1
    Participant

But how do you get charged with failure to render aid when there are no injuries?

BJD95
    Keymaster

I have looked up the moped “laws” because my kid bought a liquor cycle. Not for a double DUI, but rather because she’s anxious about driving a car and kind of lazy about completing drivers’ ed.

You DO need to have a registration, but it’s not really clear whether you have to keep said registration with you while you operate (though I tell my kid to do so). You most certainly do NOT need to have a driver’s license. A state ID is required to get the registration, but nothing in the law about carrying it with you while you operate the moped. Insurance is NOT required, and indeed hard to get.

My semi-educated guess is that these charges won’t stick because the law is so weird/vague, but the ice was already too thin under Old Testament unless the facts are way off base here. Very sad.

redisgood
    Participant

The moped isn’t the problem. It’s the drinking before getting on the moped and the drinking before doing other stupid things that is the problem. I hope he gets things sorted out eventually.

Adventuroo
    Participant

Agree that we should not jump to conclusions…..

However, right wrong or indifferent, this is not a positive situation.

WRAL was running live shots of an “accident” last night. All they had to do was reposition their tower cam. There were two RPD B&W units on the scene with blue lights flashing.

Several media outlets are reporting that a person was “hit on a SIDEWALK”. Have no idea or info on that or what Shad had been doing PRIOR to the incident. HE was on the Moped. Someone was walking. Someone got hit.

Here is one link that quotes the statue and comments…

http://www.backingthepack.com/nc-state-football/2015/9/30/9422115/shadrach-thornton-arrest-nc-state-football

From this point on (and maybe prior), there is a lot of speculation. Sidewalk? Injuries? No ID info to person hit? Mental “acuity” of both? Whatever…

Maybe ORW and Fedora and the Rams Club FC’s make more donations to the CHPD Officers Retirement and Benevolent Fund. Who knows? Jimmy V. said that an athlete at NCSU was actually more vulnerable as the RPD would bend over backwards to “follow the book” to avoid a tint of bias. Remember that Lorenzo Charles had a charge against him for stiffing a Pizza Delivery guy. What is socially acceptable on the streets of NYC or CH is handled differently in Raleigh.

Bottom line. Whatever happened…..whoever was at fault…..whatever was said…..it got out of control and Shad was later arrested, I think, at his residence. No high $$ PR firm or whatever is going to change that.

We can make all the comparisons to Parking Tickets, High BLING rental cars, 9MM, Pot, whatever. Shad’s past is haunting him….especially the “assault on a female” issues.

The true story will eventually come out….but WHEN? I remember a wise person saying that our country was more obsessed TALKING about something than the crime itself. A very partisan Republican also commented and asked if the millions spent of determining if Bill Clinton got “special treatment” by Monica in the oval office was really worth it and neither side won…..When you see the First Mama laughing and joking with a late night talk show host over a former Presidents philandering….and it is ALL a big joke….that, to me, puts it in perspective. Bill’s favorability ratings and his “Did a GOOD Job as President” are higher than ever.

DD has a tough row to hoe. He and Debbie and probably Dr. Woodson will have to make a judgement call.

No offense to Shad. He may be the world’s unluckiest person….but whatever went down last night (assuming the person that was hit was NOT a UNC Counter Intelligence Agent sent over to “take a charge”) was not handled properly.

This is RALEIGH….not Chapel Hill or Tallahassee or (fill in the blank location of an SEC school)!

Petrino now has to make a call…does he keep Shad on the list and work on drills to stop him….or does he double down on the running play Defense figuring that we have one less stallion in the stable….

With the impending monsoon (4 – 9″ of RAIN over the weekend), it is NOT going to be a “watch them throw the tatter” event.

The OTHER thing, that is probably MORE of an issue….is the Team’s Psyche. We do NOT need any OUTSIDE influences or “demons” hanging over them.

Losing Shad is one thing….letting THAT get in our heads is another. I believe and trust that DD will do the right thing….and that he will also work on the Team’s attitude whatever he does. THAT, to me, is his real challenge.

CD needs to weigh in here as he understand this more than most of us….

JohnGalt78
    Participant

I vote for suspension for life after our bowl game.

TheCOWDOG

Team wise it’s water off a duck’s ass. They know how good they are with or without a fallen comrade.

They are here to play football, and as soon as they hit the practice center it’s nuthin’ but preparing YOURSELF. Shad is a forgotten memory between the hash marks.

Frantic fans and media can playout the melodrama.

Adventuroo
    Participant

Dog,

Thanks for the concise and reassuring post.

Ain’t NOTHING going to change what happened (or perceived to have happened) last night.

Time for the RB’s to step up….like they did in the first 2 games…and we soldier on.

GOOD COMMENTS…..

freshmanin83
    Participant

So as I understand NC law you are required to stay at scene if an injury or property damage is involved. Does anyone know how injury is defined in NC law.

freshmanin83
    Participant

Well this should qualify

Thornton was riding his moped on the sidewalk of the southbound lanes on Avent Ferry Road across from the Mission Valley Shopping Center when he struck Jimmie Woodard, 23, of Raleigh. Woodard suffered lacerations in his lip and needed stitches, his mother, Sharon, said on Wednesday.

Read more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/article37023939.html#storylink=cpy

Adventuroo
    Participant

FreshmanIn83,

In Law Enforcement and Accident (Industrial) Investigation, IF a person requires Medical Treatment, then there is PI or Personal Injury. When an accident is called in and there is NO PI (meaning that a Paramedic is not needed), then the 911 dispatcher will use the NO PI comment when notifying an officer.

Next up would be…is this a DMV covered incident. Seemingly so as he was (allegedly) cited for registration issue.

IF SO (and his attorney will have to delve into this….), what is the LEGAL definition of PI?

What is a personal injury?
    A “personal injury” may be defined as a physical or psychological injury that a person sustains due to the conduct of another person. This conduct may be intentional or unintentional, but most often stems from negligence or carelessness.

That comes from a “Lawyer” site….but here is what the actual NC General Statues say…

http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/enactedlegislation/statutes/html/bysection/chapter_20/gs_20-166.html

from the GS….NOTE that the GS uses the term…”Serious Bodily Injury”. I have posted that if you scroll past the following cut and paste…you can read the following….it is only the FIRST paragraph or so or you can go keep on scrolling to the bottom…

§ 20-166. Duty to stop in event of a crash; furnishing information or assistance to injured person, etc.; persons assisting exempt from civil liability.
    (a) The driver of any vehicle who knows or reasonably should know:
    (1) That the vehicle which he or she is operating is involved in a crash; and
    (2) That the crash has resulted in serious bodily injury, as defined in G.S. 14-32.4, or death to any person;
    shall immediately stop his or her vehicle at the scene of the crash. The driver shall remain with the vehicle at the scene of the crash until a law-enforcement officer completes the investigation of the crash or authorizes the driver to leave and the vehicle to be removed, unless remaining at the scene places the driver or others at significant risk of injury.
    Prior to the completion of the investigation of the crash by a law enforcement officer, or the consent of the officer to leave, the driver may not facilitate, allow, or agree to the removal of the vehicle from the scene for any purpose other than to call for a law enforcement officer, to call for medical assistance or medical treatment as set forth in subsection (b) of this section, or to remove oneself or others from significant risk of injury. If the driver does leave for a reason permitted by this subsection, then the driver must return with the vehicle to the accident scene within a reasonable period of time, unless otherwise instructed by a law enforcement officer. A willful violation of this subsection shall be punished as a Class F felony.

OK….now you want to know that the ABOVE GS 14-32.4 says….

Click to access gs_14-32.4.pdf

§ 14-32.4. Assault inflicting serious bodily injury; strangulation; penalties.
    (a) Unless the conduct is covered under some other provision of law providing greater
    punishment, any person who assaults another person and inflicts serious bodily injury is guilty
    of a Class F felony. “Serious bodily injury” is defined as bodily injury that creates a substantial
    risk of death, or that causes serious permanent disfigurement, coma, a permanent or protracted
    condition that causes extreme pain, or permanent or protracted loss or impairment of the
    function of any bodily member or organ, or that results in prolonged hospitalization.

THERE will be a pop quiz….if you FAIL, you will have to “invest” a sizeable amount in the Draft Kings or the FanDuel….and if you lose….you will be publicly ostracized….

freshmanin83
    Participant

According to that info it looks like there may be grounds for a civil suit but not so much for a felony.

Thanks for the info. I poked around a little but did not find what you did.

PackerInRussia
    Participant

“Failure to lend aid”

Isn’t that what Jerry, Kramer, Elaine, and George got put in jail for? Will there be a long trial of past characters who have to testify?

If you call the police after getting hit by a moped, you’ve got hurt feelings more than anything else. Do they make band-aids for that?

Daniel_Simpson_Day
    Participant

PIR – that’s exactly the first thing that came to my mind when I read that; “…you don’t have to help anybody…that’s what this country is all about…”

“Will there be a long trial of past characters who have to testify?” – he’s a very bad man…a very, very, very bad man

redisgood
    Participant

No soup for Shad!!!

redisgood
    Participant

Man, WRAL must have all their reporters working on this story. There’s an army of them putting out tweets all day.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.