Saban goes in-home with Fraiser

Home Forums StateFans Football Saban goes in-home with Fraiser

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    JackWolf
    Keymaster

Deb said she wanted ‘Alabama type recruits’ well it doesn’t get anymore Alabama-type then when Nick Saban goes and visits one of the top RBs on your board.

It isn’t likely to matter as Fraiser will stick close to home (State or Duke) but anytime Saban visits one of your kids you should probably be concerned.

Greywolf
    Participant

It didn’t take long for DD to go head to head with the big boys… Get or not get Frazier, this is a good sign. I hope Debbie has got the bucks stashed away to pay the assistants who are out there doing the work along with Doeren. Those guys are getting it done on the practice field as well.

JackWolf
    Keymaster

That is a good point. With another improving year next year DD & Co will be a hot target. Sort of flew under the radar for coaches mentioned ‘turning around programs’ which is strange b/c guys he beat got more attention. I dont think that will last long.

nav
    Participant

^ I’m with you on that Jack. If we somehow to go crazy and get 10 wins next year. I can see DD gone to a major fb program. Can’t see 10 wins happening though. I feel that State is a stepping stone for DD. No hard feelings here. That’s just how it works. We’re not a big time fb program and likely never will be.

Greywolf
    Participant

“Once is luck. Twice is coincidence. Three times is skill” or so goes an old coaching adage. I believe the same applies to coaches. This is Doeren’s ‘luck’ year with the GSU fumble on the 1 yard line and McKever’s pick six. we are somewhat lucky to be bowling. If we improve even considerably it will be his ‘coincidence’ year. With continued progress in his 4th year will be his ‘skill’ year.

Remember Lou Holtz? IIRC He left after his 4th year. Of course there are exceptions to any rule.

Having said all that I believe Doeren when he said ‘he picked us. We didn’t pick him. As he said he came to North Carolina on his own dime to vacation, especially to bass fish. Where else can he jam with the Chancellor on his guitar. (Well, Holden Thorpe but that ain’t gonna happen.) He has young sons and Doeren, just like the hockey players, sees this area as a great place to live and to raise a family. He is one of us.

I believe that Doeren will be our head coach as long as we will have him. No offense intended nav, but if we think Doeren is going to run for a ‘bigger’ program, we need to look at our own values. I also think it disrespects him and his word to say he’ll run. IF and that’s a big IF he intends to leave, his stock will be much higher after he makes us a nationally relevant program than a mere 10 win season.

I know the negative nellies think it can’t be done. Well, look at Baylor, TCU. Utah, etc., and tell me it can’t be done.

nav
    Participant

^No offense taken at all.

Maybe I’m just too cynical but I never take any coach at their word.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.