Ryan Finley will be back in Rawlee next season!

Home Forums StateFans Football Ryan Finley will be back in Rawlee next season!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    bill.onthebeach
    Participant

wral.com reporting this pm…

NC State QB Finley returning for 2018 season

That ought to ‘warm’ some cold hearts….

AND

The HOLES Drop TWO in a row…
    ‘Hoos – 61
    Holes — 49

Trifecta in play tonight in the PNC at 8pm…

GO PACK!!!

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    Wulfpack
    Participant

Clemson looked good as well.

Fastback68
    Participant

We need a side of Hines now.

Pack78
    Participant

And Will Richardson needs to come back as well for offensive fireworks!

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Finley staying first — could be influential with Hines and Richardson and others…

I’m starting to like being a football school….

POP!!!

redwolf87
    Participant

I would like to think these guys have been talking amongst themselves and are on the same page. Who knows?

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

At least, the much maligned WOLFPACK NATION hasn’t done this…

But then, this is so right and so wrong — AT THE SAME TIME — that…
    I can see clearly how some of our geniuses would not hesitate given the circumstances…

Perfect Season Parade 2.0 held in Cleveland to mark Browns’ 0-16 season

It’s also the perfect counter-argument to UCF’s “National Championship”…

Basically all of it a reflection of today’s best thinking…

“If you don’t like the rules or the outcome, MAKE UP your own rules and outcome!!!”

GOPACK !!!

Heelh8r
    Participant

This is great news. I thought he would come back because he is very smart and knows what he has a chance to do here. I believe he will be richly rewarded for this decision. This puts him squarely in the hunt for a Heisman. I’m serious, he is that good. He has plenty of help for next year to do something really special. We were close this year, and we should have just as good of a chance to compete for a championship and Finley could surely put up those kind of numbers next year. It could happen.

ryebread
    Participant

Smart move by Finley and very good news for NC State. We’re riding a lot of offseason momentum. Hopefully we can redshirt the freshman and turn over the reigns to a four year starter.

Finley is sneaking his way up the NC State record books. I would not be surprised if he did not graduate next year as one of our top 5 all time QBs.

freshmanin83
    Participant

Huzzah that is good news. Hopefully he and others will come back with the attitude that there is some unfinished business to take care of.

Tau837
    Participant

This puts him squarely in the hunt for a Heisman

No chance.

His numbers won’t be nearly compelling enough – Heisman winner Mayfield had 4627 passing yards and 43 passing TDs this season, compared to Finley’s 3514 and 17.

Over the past 10 years, a QB won the Heisman 8 times, and the lowest number of TDs for any of them was Winston’s 44 in 2013 (40 passing, 4 rushing).

choppack1
    Participant

After watching that jags bills game, I am thrilled Finley returned because he threw it better than both of those QBs.

Greywolf
    Participant

Huzzah that is good news. Hopefully he and others will come back with the attitude that there is some unfinished business to take care of.

I think Finley knew all along he wasn’t leaving. Leary not enrolling early is a tell. Finley is coming back. Leary can red shirt his freshman year and have 4 years eligibility assuming he doesn’t get beaten out which is unlikely.

“unfinished business to take care of” is the reason Chubb gave for staying another year. Jones had personal family financial reasons for leaving but Finley does not nor does Hines. Roseboro is staying likely because of a promise he made to his father shortly before his death.

The last piece to the leaving early puzzle is Richardson. I don’t know Richardson’s personal circumstances but I do know he owes his team mates one for getting himself suspended for the SoCar game.

Heelh8r
    Participant

No chance.

Well, I said he would be in the hunt for the Heisman, not necessarily that he would win it. To state it better, I believe he certainly has the chance to be in the Heisman conversation. Top five would get him a trip to New York. Maybe it could be more like Ted Brown. Nobody expected him to win it, but he did receive quite a few votes and was recognized as a contender. What would it take? We would have to win and win big. With that would come the numbers Finley would need. He will have multiple targets and an offense capable of putting up more yards and touchdowns than this year. He has another year of experience in this offense and minus JaySam most everybody back. I can see it happening.

Fastback68
    Participant

Goodbye Hines and Good Luck

YogiNC
    Participant

Not sure if he’s quite ready. As they say ‘next man up’, which will probably be Person.

Smarter than the average bear

Greywolf
    Participant

Not sure if he’s quite ready. As they say ‘next man up’, which will probably be Person.

Next man up will be Reggie Gallaspy. Take a look at his work in the Sun Bowl. In both halves he ran hard and actually picked up more yards than Hines in less carries. “Next man up” will have to show proficiency in pass pro before he gets a lot of caries in our offense.

Best case scenario will be Gallaspy doing the heavy lifting until Person and Collins demonstrate they can pass block. Shifting our focus we could be just about as well off as we would be without Hines. I’m smiling to myself thinking of RG wearing the defense down and Person and/or Collins ripping off some big gains in the second half.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Not sure if he’s quite ready. As they say ‘next man up’…

Yep…

And I wish Mr. Hines a long and healthy NFL career… He was ‘fun’ from behind to watch on the breakaways….

GO PACK!

tractor57
    Participant

I’m assuming he got good advice on his move. My only concern is that he does not fit the typical mold for a position. That might be a huge advantage given the right team. Regardless he will sign for more than I ever made working a career. I wish him the best.

Texpack
    Participant

I’m assuming he got good advice on his move. My only concern is that he does not fit the typical mold for a position. That might be a huge advantage given the right team. Regardless he will sign for more than I ever made working a career. I wish him the best.

He may move back to the slot in the NFL

tractor57
    Participant

Yes most likely a slot guy but if the OC is creative …

Fastback68
    Participant

Will Richardson is leaving as well.

YogiNC
    Participant

Next man up will be Reggie Gallaspy

Could be, but RG doesn’t have quite the breakaway speed. My point here is that the caliber of the recruits now are upgrades from where they were 4 years ago. TOB and CTC for that matter NEVER had a class like this from top to bottom. Yeah we had a smattering of 4 and 5 stars but this class has a minimum of 3 stars all the way through with some darned good 4 stars. And with that comes the possibility that the next man up could easily be that shining star that bypasses those first years in the backup role. In many ways Person reminds me of Matt Dayes. We also sputtered without Hines.

No matter what I am excited about this incoming class. As the old Bill Deal and the Rhondells song says “Nothing succeeds like success”. While this year had a few points where we were oh so close to having a really great year think back to 2016. The difference in being 6-6 or 7-5 and 9-4 can be razor thin. In 2016 our coulda wasn’t anywhere close to our coulda this year which from my perspective was 11-2. And from my point of view our coulda was what caused Payton Wilson to choose us over UNX. Winning on the field is what wins in the living room of great high school players. And great high schoolers have what you cannot teach, speed and size.

Greywolf
    Participant

Yogi,
    I love where you are looking and I most emphatically agree with your “recruits are upgrades” point of view.

I still say Reggie is the “next man up” and will be until that “shining star” shows he has all it takes to be a P-5 RB. Our system dictates we be able to pass block as well as run and receive. We may be in the situation we were in several years ago when Tony Creecy was the starter but took fewer snaps than the next 2 RB’s.

I’d like to see both Person and Collins get touches as they appear to be the ones in 2019. Unless another “shining star” comes along.

Small point about Payton Wilson, he said he was switching to State because he fit in here. He isn’t a poser, he’s a hands in the dirt, great work ethic kind of guy.

YogiNC
    Participant

Grey, I think part of it for Payton also happened when he tore that ACL. the perspective from the bleachers is much different than from the sidelines or in the game. He probably saw something that just didn’t sit right with him with UNX, or he had never really considered any other options. In either case I’m sure glad he came our way, he has what it takes to make a long lasting impression for the pack.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.