RIP Hillsborough Street

Home Forums StateFans Non Sports Talk RIP Hillsborough Street

Viewing 12 posts - 26 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    gso packbacker
    Participant

If the fine folks in Kernersville can handle a roundabout and manage to have nobody die when double-trailers come flying out of the nearby FedEx ground hub then the rest of us can handle them as well.

As for Hillsborough Street, I think it’s demise started in 1984 when they began raising the drinking age. By the late 80’s the drinking age was 21 and the complexion really began to change and only continued. While I would prefer that a good part of stay the same, I think most other folks like it as is. Look at the apartments these kids stay in now. Granite countertops, nice appliances (that work), and seemingly everyone with their own bedroom and bedroom.

Not as many people interested in dive bars and cheap food when they’re living high on the hog.

In full disclosure, it has been a battle to keep my kids from feeling underprivileged if they didn’t feel as though they were keeping up with the other kids.

rthomas44
    Participant

Anyone remember Daryll’s on the corner of Oberlin and Hillsborough?

Heelh8r
    Participant

Anyone remember Daryll’s on the corner of Oberlin and Hillsborough?

That’s where I got my start!

john of sparta
    Participant

the round-abouts that i’ve seen –which “work”– are a lot bigger than what’s on H-street.

Fastback68
    Participant

They just built 2 roundabouts within 200 yards of each other near the Morrison Y this week. What a cluster.

I don’t remember Daryll’s but I do remember his brother Daryll.

Hamburger Hut anyone??

MP
    Participant

nice appliances (that work)

LOL.

Becton901
    Participant

I dated a girl that waitressed at Darryl’s in that late 70’s. She cleared the ungodly sum of $100 per night. Lot of money back then. But then again, she was pretty hot. Shoulda kept in touch, but she was a vegetarian and too liberal for me.

Hamburger Hut? Yes.

The only time I ever met Valvano was outside of Chargrill. Is it still there?

44rules
    Participant

Don’t remember Hamburger Hut. But I do remember Darryl’s. Char-Grill was still on Hillsborough Street a few months ago. They have branches elsewhere, so I don’t think it’s going anywhere.

Communism is not love. Communism is a hammer which we use to crush the enemy. Mao Zedong

ryebread
    Participant

I drive a mid-sized pick up and space typically isn’t an issue in a round about.

What is an issue is if:
    1) There’s any intentional stoppage within the round about (stop lights, cross walks, etc.)
    2) There any intentional stoppage near the egress of the round about (e.g. a stop light that backs up traffic to within the round about)

The issue isn’t the round abouts in either case. The issue is the stoplights. It baffles me how embedded they are in our road design. Stop lights are expensive to install, require ongoing power, need to be maintained and artificially delay users. No thanks.

If you want to see a rant, watch my wife at a series of “properly” (or improperly) timed stoplights.

choppack1
    Participant

If our “leaders” and I use that term very lightly and the surrounding communities wanted NC state to feel like something other than a commuter school, they would make sure that nc state students and employees had a place to play within walking distance.

I don’t know if the recent growth of Glenwood qualifies. Nor do I know if downtown Raleigh does qualifies either. I do know that whenever centrally located party zones arise, the campus either actively shuts them down (Brent road), tailgates, or appears to quietly let them die.

I can’t blame them. After all, it’s much easier to accept our athletic futility and pull for the neighboring schools when you dont have an emotional connection to the school itself. And if you are a commuter school, the after action activities of the students aren’t your problem…you just want their money for tuition and books.

rthomas44
    Participant

1973,my apartment mate went to Daryll’s,32 nights in a row and still did ok for the semester!He was after a waitress too!

Gowolves
    Participant

If our “leaders” and I use that term very lightly and the surrounding communities wanted NC state to feel like something other than a commuter school, they would make sure that nc state students and employees had a place to play within walking distance.

I don’t know if the recent growth of Glenwood qualifies. Nor do I know if downtown Raleigh does qualifies either. I do know that whenever centrally located party zones arise, the campus either actively shuts them down (Brent road), tailgates, or appears to quietly let them die.

I can’t blame them. After all, it’s much easier to accept our athletic futility and pull for the neighboring schools when you dont have an emotional connection to the school itself. And if you are a commuter school, the after action activities of the students aren’t your problem…you just want their money for tuition and books.

My hope is the land(Dorthea Dix) they purchased(stole from the state depending on your perspective) could be that place to play. It depends on how they decide to construct it. There is talk they want it to be Raleigh’s version of Central Park. That is not far from the campus especially by bicycle.

Viewing 12 posts - 26 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.