Quarterfinals! NC State vs. Duke Game Thread!

Home Forums All StateFansNation Quarterfinals! NC State vs. Duke Game Thread!

Viewing 25 posts - 301 through 325 (of 329 total)
  • Author
    BJD95
    Keymaster

Next year’s team should be very good. It will be telling if it’s bubbilicious. Time will tell.

Rick
    Keymaster

We are playing for next season now

Why? What was this season for?

We have a good team. Can beat anyone if we put our mind to it. It’s great making tourneys but let’s do some serious damage. Otherwise what was all of that for?

I am not sure I understand that comment either.

Rick
    Keymaster

Next year’s team should be very good. It will be telling if it’s bubbilicious. Time will tell.

We should be top four in the ACC next year. Frankly anything below that would be unacceptable. Everyone coming back except Turner. Henderson is suppose to be an upgrade to Turner. Plenty of talent, experience and depth.

Whiteshoes67
    Participant

^Bill, I agree with 90% of what you say above, but you’re wrong on one big point. K learned that matchup from Boeheim several years ago, and his teams have employed it, on occasion. They’ve done so multiple times in the last month or so of the season. This wasn’t new. Read my pregame comments. I was in fact referring to the matchup zone. The halfcourt 2-1-2 was a wrinkle I didn’t quite expect, but I did think they’d try to push tempo even more than usual, and the press didn’t blow me away either. Again, they’ve done that against multiple teams over the last month, particular teams that play at a slower pace, like us. All said, I don’t think better preparation would’ve made a difference. I do think that the lineup we’ve gone to, which I like, is not the best lineup against Duke. Our bigs don’t matchup well against their bigs. Defensively, their a nightmare for us. Game 1, as I said then, was a fluke. They shot poorly by their standards, and not on account of superior defense (we were worse at that stage of the season), and we shot lights out. Note, that was a against a straight man defense by Duke. They’re on the #1 for a reason.

Khan
    Participant

Top 4? What? Y’all are messing up the rotation. Puff puff give. Puff puff give.

wufpup76
    Keymaster

I don’t think it’s fair to be too hard on the kids for it. I honestly don’t think there’s anything we could have done to change the outcome anyway.

Yeah, nah … that game was over as soon as the ball was tipped, and our guys have worked their asses off lately. Regroup, heal up, try to win a game and go on a little run.

Rick
    Keymaster

I think that is a reasonable expectation given the talent and experience on the team next year.

backthebackagain
    Participant

care to explain why you dont think next year we should be in the top 4? Top ACC pg returning, top ACC shooting guard returning, size in the wings, since in the front court, depth, pretty much everything a team needs to be superior.

I just hope its not a rehash from year 2. I think however if we can put together a good to great season then 2016 recruiting can pick up and we can afford a blip in the radar if Cat leaves with Lacey. If not then I am not sure what our program will look like.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Top 4 for sure.

TheCOWDOG

Tis amazing that the zone my dad created in 1961 has found its way to the surface in college basketball, once again.

His morphed out of a 1-2-2.
    Jack Craft at Villanova learned it from Pops, and employed it in 67ish. Now, everyone wants to credit Boeheim.

Only the oldtimers know where it came from.

BJD95
    Keymaster

Top 4 not unrealistic at all, and Sweet Sixteen is kind of a minimal post-season goal.

TheCOWDOG

Sorry…That’s Jack Kraft.

Adventuroo
    Participant

Wuf and BJD….

The sun is up (hiding behind cloud cover) in the Coliseum parking lot. Walked around….the sweeper trucks are running everywhere. There are no dead (self inflicted) bodies of NCSU fans discovered…

I don’t know if humor or sarcasm or pity should be the tone of my comments….but here goes.

Did we get “Out Coached” last night? Probably. K’s D certainly confused Cat and others. It was a clever defense….and even the commentators said that they could not recognize it and they had an overhead or second level shot.

It LOOKED like a M2M….then went Zone…so our offensive plays did not work. Cat was confused…no doubt about it.

THAT did get into our minds. We have had games where these D’s were thrown at us and the team did not practice or anticipate, but they guys on the floor responded.

SO, I guess that we need Gott’s head (Will have to settle for an aluminum foil broiler liner….left the sterling at home). NOT REALLY.

Once we got “confused” and our confidence went out….we never recovered.

It was designed to hold down CAT and LACEY…..figuring that Turner, even hot, could not make up and Duke had the advantage inside. Even Plumlee had the game of his career. BJ was like a zombie out there….SURPISE….we played last night. BJ also celebrated his 20th birthday on Monday night (fairly early) at the Kanki in Raleigh. Spoke to him briefly and congratulated him….had my daughter’s family there also for her birthday. He was TIRED….not used to playing 2 nights consecutively.

So, chalk one up for Mikey….took advantage of BJ’s conditioning (or lack there of) and also shut down the two guys that were hot. Duke shot almost 60% and we barely broke 30%. Turner’s points were nice….but more as a support player and not a JJ Reddick performance.

NOW, had he been on….then Mikey would have switched the assignments.

I have been at the ACCT Championship games several times. Once when UNC had a really super shooter/guard. Mikey had his D ROTATE on every set. He had 3 guys assigned to him. Can’t remember the year or the names. But the UNC guy was always confused….as he never knew WHO was going to guard him. They did it in sequence (1, 2, 3) or sometimes seeming random…but Mikey or someone was calling the D’s number.

The ACC player of the year, decade, whatever did NOT have a great game.

NOW, these games….especially the NON NCSU ones run together…and I might be reversing the teams….but I remember the strategy….worked great.

BUT, by coming up with an unexpected and unique defense that caught ANOTHER HOF coach off guard….the playing field was leveled.

SO…I’m voting to keep GOTT and not impale him….

BTW….remember how Duke carved up and roasted a certain EX DUKE assistant….Bray is his name…his lads in Green and Gold had the game wrapped up last night….but Miami came back and almost pulled it off.

Duke beat Notre Dame by 30….90 – 60 at Cameron. So, this morning….things don’t look that bad.

More concerned about Cat’s condition….

Wonder if Mike Bray has a special motivational tool for his guys….like Mikey did for his…. We obviously outplayed and also outcoached Mikey in the PNC and he admitted that. So HE and the TEAM had motivation.

The Duke v ND should be a great game…since both have only played once…my UNC buds in our complex are worrying about the team’s “legs”…

GO PACK….

Rick
    Keymaster

Getting outcoached by K is nothing to be ashamed of.

I cannot stand what he has done to college basketball but the man knows how to coach.

Khan
    Participant

Duke, UVA, UNC, and Louisville and ND. There are 5 reasons. Couple that with our inconsistency, and we’re probably in the 5-8 range. Yeah, we’ll have some talent, but until I see evidence that we can become a much more consistent team throughout the season, any expectations of being a top tier team in the league, while optimistic, are premature, IMO.

BJD95
    Keymaster

ND and Louisville lose A LOT. The Holes weren’t really much account this season. I think Duke, UVA, and State will be the class of the league in 2015-16.

Whiteshoes67
    Participant

CD, for the record, I wasn’t crediting Boeheim with the matchup zone. I know your father’s influence. The announcers were clueless last night. They’ve employed that matchup zone at least 4-5 times in the last month or so.

Wulfpack
    Participant

I think Duke, UVA, and State will be the class of the league in 2015-16.

Bingo.

There is really no reason at all why we shouldn’t have a banner season next year.

Adventuroo
    Participant

Was trying to get some word (like the Internet would have GOOD info) on Cat’s condition. Ran across this on the Fayetteville Observer. Great insight from a Freshman. Tells a lot about his BB IQ…

He was asked about Cat’s injury….and said….

“I take full responsibility for that one,” Abu said. “I just had scored and was running back to get on ‘D’ and Amile stayed. You expect your defender to run with you and try to get a transition bucket, and he stayed. By the time I turned around, Cat ran into him. It’s a learning experience as a freshman – always protect your point guard, and that’s crucial. I failed at that one.”

Hope Cat is OK….most of the reports were about his “neck” but the article commented on his face colliding with Jefferson’s whatever….and Cat got the worst of it. We were in the lower second level just across the way. He laid there and the IDIOTIC REFS did not stop play. Let Duke score and called a foul…then stopped play.

Cat was literally motionless for what seems a long time and was very woozy when he finally sat up and tried to walk. He sat down at the end of the bench and the training staff talked to him and he finally went to the Locker Room and never returned…

If anyone gets any REAL info, please post.

Thanks….

TheCOWDOG

Yeah Whiteshoes, no insinuation, just musing.

Funny reading Lacey’s comments about what they thought they were seeing, ’cause that is exactly what it supposed to do to an offense.

Ha….Now how to break it.
    The old man had an offense for his defense, too.
    🙂

backthebackagain
    Participant

ND and Louisville lose A LOT. The Holes weren’t really much account this season. I think Duke, UVA, and State will be the class of the league in 2015-16.

Duke could potentially lose 5 of their top 6 players if those kids all go pro like expected.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

I’m having flashbacks to a Lee Fowler prediction that State would be one of the top teams “next year” because everyone was losing so much. That “next year”, State finished the year on the Herbble following a collapse of massive proportions.

backthebackagain
    Participant

I’m having flashbacks to a Lee Fowler prediction that State would be one of the top teams “next year” because everyone was losing so much. That “next year”, State finished the year on the Herbble following a collapse of massive proportions.

If we finish on the bubble next year Yow is going to have to either eat her words about a top 25 program blah blah blah or make a tough decision. If Gott doesnt get it done next year then in reality when? She basically fired TOB for the same thing and was the reason Herb frustrated our fans to no end.

2015-16 is incredibly pivotal for gott and our program especially with our recruiting look like horse poo

Rick
    Keymaster

If we finish on the bubble next year Yow is going to have to either eat her words about a top 25 program blah blah blah or make a tough decision. If Gott doesnt get it done next year then in reality when? She basically fired TOB for the same thing and was the reason Herb frustrated our fans to no end.

2015-16 is incredibly pivotal for gott and our program especially with our recruiting look like horse poo

Next year is poop or get off the pot

WolfWiz11
    Participant

FWIW, I don’t think we’re that far off. We could easily have had 4 more wins on the season. I dunno off the top of my head where that would have placed us in the conference standings heading into the ACCT, but I gotta think we would have been better positioned to make a deeper run. So like people have said, consistency is an issue.

Good point about Brey getting blown out by Dook this year, forgot the score in that one. But didn’t they split the series?

Viewing 25 posts - 301 through 325 (of 329 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.