Pack Wrestling is off to a great start!

Home Forums StateFans Baseball & Other Sports Pack Wrestling is off to a great start!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    SaccoV
    Participant

Don’t look now, but NC State wrestling is about to return toward the top of the ACC. The squad is currently 7-1 and boasts 2 ranked wrestlers according to TheMat.com (Brian Hamann, Fr., is ranked #19 at 149 lbs. (14-4) & Nick Gwiazdowski, RS So., is currently 18-1 and ranked #6 at Heavyweight). The one team loss occurred several weeks back against #7 Illinois 26-15. The Pack has mauled their competition so far and has more depth on this team since the 2007 ACC Tournament Champion team. I got to watch them wrestle Cleveland State and Appalachian State in a tri-meet this month, and was very impressed. Excellent chemistry, and Coach Pop is doing much of his damage with the youngest lineup in the conference (from the Tri-meet alone, nine true freshman saw action, along with three redshirt sophomores). Karonne Jones (who has also been ranked by TheMat.com this season) and Nijel Jones are the only seniors getting significant mat time. There is no doubt that the ACC is a strong wrestling league with 15 ranked individual wrestlers (Maryland – 4, Va Tech – 3, Virginia – 5, UN* – 2, Duke – 1, Pitt – 2) and 3 teams (Pitt, Virginia and Va Tech) all ranked in the top-15. It should be an exciting year, and perhaps a special one for the Pack in singlets!

StateFans
    Keymaster

This is very interesting and impressive.

Didn’t we just have a HUGE turnover on the squad with a lot of wrestlers leaving/transferring/not asked to return because of their behavior and not meeting Coach Popilizio’s standards?

Looks like ANOTHER impressive hire for this Athletics Administration.

SaccoV
    Participant

The team had some turnover, which is to be expected in a non-revenue when there is a coaching change. But the fact that this team is competing in difficult league with mostly freshman is impressive. The scores haven’t been so good so far in the Southern Scuffle, but according to the brackets, several of our guys aren’t competing today which is odd. Not sure if it’s illness or holiday, but Gwiazdowski and Gantt are the only two who are still in the championship bracket.

MrPlywood
    Participant

Thanks for the update Sacco. This is when I wish the ACC had a network like the Big10 (I’m sure I’ve said this before) because they broadcast a lot of wrestling from duals to tourneys. I enjoy tracking the team, but it would be great to actually see the wrestling Pack in action once in a while.

SaccoV
    Participant

I’m lucky Plywood, because I have a job that gives me access to random sporting events from around the country. Flowrestling.com is running the wrestling over internet stream, but I don’t have access to that. You can always check out trackwrestling.com for live results on wrestling events, including dual matches at all divisions.

As for the Pack, Nick Gwiazdowski is in the Quarterfinals round of the Championship bracket at 285. He had a bye in the Prelim round, pinned his second opponent and won a 6-1 decision over the Minnesota heavy in that last round.

Thomas Gantt won his first two matches in the Championship round, including a prelim win, but lost his third match and has fallen to the consolation rounds.

Michael Machiavello, William Cook, and Pete Renda are still alive in the consolation rounds.

SaccoV
    Participant

Here is GoPack’s update. State is currently in 24th place but have a good chance to move up with 4 alive in the consolation brackets and Gwiazdowski alive in the quarterfinal round of the championship bracket.

SaccoV
    Participant

Gwiazdowski has pushed through to the Semis. All the wrestlers in the consolation round are still alive, and the Pack has moved into a tie for 20th place with UN*. Stay tuned!!

SaccoV
    Participant

Bad news, Renda, Machavellio bowed out on Consolation rounds. Cook still alive in wrestle backs and Gwiazdowski in the semis. Gantt advanced with a 7-5 sudden victory win over Minnesota wrestler!!

MrPlywood
    Participant

Thanks for the resources. I’ve used FloWrestling a lot, and just checked trackwrestling.com and saw the final results. 1st Place Match – Anthony Nelson (Minnesota) won by decision over Nick Gwiazdowski (North Carolina State) (Dec 1-0). Nelson is ranked #1, so that result bodes well for Nick’s season, and will probably up his ranking. I’m sure he wanted to win though. State with a 21st place finish, I’d say that’s pretty respectable.

SaccoV
    Participant

True dat, Plywood. Also, Gwiazdowski beat Nelson twice this summer in US Olympic Team Trials. I wish I would have had eyes on the match, but I don’t have the time or access to FloWrestling’s streaming. Finishing around 20th for the team is great especially considering that four starters did not wrestle in this tournament at all.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.