Pack wins UGLY, 58-52

Home Forums All StateFansNation Pack wins UGLY, 58-52

Viewing 13 posts - 26 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    Adventuroo
    Participant

Right now, it seems that the team looks more like Joey Chitwood…..and our comedy team of Rowan and Martin is a laughing stock.

OK, that was a bit of sarcasm. I sat through the Ugly W the other night. Jimmy V said he would take an Ugly W over a Pretty L any day of the week.

I do not think that we need to be down on Coach Gott because some crazy 23 YO decided to take a little $$….the entire coaching staff and the AD tried to dissuade him from going pro last year….and they really never saw it coming that, against all odds, he would do it. Not exactly turned out to be a Russell Wilson story.

Meantime, the injury bug-a-boo has beset up. BUT, if you go back in time (memory and my own statistical review), we have had a LOT more injuries over the years. Our new strengthening Director and Staff have made unbelievable strides. We have not “lost”, percentage wise, the number of players as in the past.

SO, give Coach Gott his due there. Henderson SHOULD be back. Kirk is still recovering. Freeman, as expected, is improving. We are just a little short.

Couple in a shooting drought with Rowan and Martin….and you have the Rx for a really ugly outing…and it showed.

Have not even thought of checking out the weather on the ledge….as some have….so, BREATH DEEPLY, STEP BACK….things will work out.

ryebread
    Participant

Wulfpack: you are right in a way, but also kind of missing the point. The ACC right now is a 6-7 bid League. With the consolidation of the power conferences, the bids have to go somewhere.

There are some problems with thaf though. Six to seven bids isn’t really that many when you think about the fact that we have 15 teams in this league, and that the 15 were the 9 team ACC (ehic sometimes got 5 on its own) and about 1/2 of the top of the Big East (which once got 11 teams). There are a lot of historically name programs that are going to get left out.

Then look at where those bids are going. Right now UVA, UNC, Miami, Putt, Duke and Louisville are in. There’s maybe one to two more bids for the rest of the league. That is where the RPI clearly matters and the league’s unbalanced schedule hurts the ability to make it up.

It is extremely tough sledding for NC State at this point. Fans expecting a late run and 9-9 getting in are probably setting themselves up for disappointment.

Wulfpack
    Participant

I think it will end up being more like the typical 7-8 bid league. And no we won’t be one of them, unless something drastically changes.

choppack1
    Participant

Packphanistan makes a great point. The starting from square 1 every year – even when you are breaking in new starters…of which we basically return 3, but aside from Mav – everyone who is receiving pt has been in the program for at least a year. If we have 7 guys and 6 of them are projects…that’s on gott.

I guess my point is that this lack of continuity is really what has kept this program from making the next step thus far in Gott’s tenure.

Within the next 2-3 years – he needs to put a product on the floor that says “this is what I can do and I can’t do any better” else I think it’s fair to assume we have seen that already.

Rick
    Keymaster

In some ways follows the pattern established in Gott’s tenure. Start slow and usually improve. In my opinion this year might be a bit tougher depending on Henderson’s status. Some say SSDD – fair enough. I say it is sort of neat to watch a team grow through the season. Yes frustrating at times but still worth watching.

What drives me crazy is we never seem to ‘build’ from year to year with Gott. We get better in nearly every area as the year progresses and then the next year, we just start over at square one again. We finished with decent defense and bigs that could score last season. This season we’ve got next to no idea what we’re doing on defense, guys are committing ridiculous freshman turnovers, and our bigs are completely absent.

I get we’re working some new pieces in, but how does losing Lacey and Turner make our players toss a lazy pass at the top of the key that gets picked off about every other time, or make our bigs miss 70% of the bunnies they take?

Like, Malik, who we needed to have a breakout year, is exactly the same only he commits more fouls, and is shooting a lower percentage.

And Caleb started off shooting a great percentage, like a perpetual green light percentage, but he was 1-10 against USF (and so was GFK), 2-6 against HPU, 2-14 against Mizzou, and 1-4 against UNCG (GFK was 1-10).

Caleb was shooting 40% (27/65) from three before USF, and has shot less than 14% (3/22) since.

WTH.

This is a great point. We do typically see beat improvement from the beginning of the year to the end. Why we start over I’d mystifying. We need to start having a better start so that we seed better.

BJD95
    Keymaster

It’s about survival right now, as far as the OOC is concerned. We HAVE been surviving, if just barely. Good thing is…that’s all we really can do, anyway.

I’m not exactly sanguine as to what conference play will bring, but I’m hoping the “pleasantly surprised” half of George Will’s saying about being a pessimist comes true in 2016.

redisgood
    Participant

For me, a big difference between this year and Gott’s previous years is I could always see a foundation for the team to improve, ie there were always two or three players I thought could get this team into the tourney. I’m just not seeing that this year. We have Cat and that’s it. Henderson was a huge loss, and really changed the dynamics of the team. But even taking that into consideration, we needed big steps forward from Abu and Beejay. Unfortunately that didn’t happen, and it doesn’t look like it will.

One way or another, it’s only going to take a couple more weeks to see where this team really stands.

Whiteshoes67
    Participant

When you aren’t fundamentally sound, your shot selection sucks, you don’t defend well, you better be able to score. Now that gott has a full roster of his recruits, we are struggling. With Henderson, maybe we have 1-2 more wins but I’m not convinced of that.

We’re sitting in the 90s in adjusted defensive efficiency per Kenpom. We’re in the 60s in offensive efficiency. And our competition has been bad to mediocre. Doesn’t look good for this team. Both the offensive and defensive numbers are bad for gott. They’re reminiscent of his bad bama teams.

JeremyH
    Participant

Henderson doesn’t need to be Joey Chestnut, he just needs to improve the dynamic, which I think he will do, and take some pressure off the underclassmen. If by foundation you mean offensive production, then sure. But we have good parts that are dependent on offensive flow that we’ve only seen in flashes. But that’s the story with Gott teams, progress over the course of the season. But unfortunately it’s a bad year to to have down or just slow coming year. I do think this year has a higher defensive ceiling than last year.

packalum44
    Participant

A shame Gott spent all that time recruiting and then running off our best post player.

packalum44
    Participant

Didn’t we have a shot are Mark Turgedon? That guy actually builds programs pragmatically instead of shooting from the hip recruiting talent hoping they mesh running half of them off and repeating’ “we’ve got to get better.” Other that that and his other well documents indiscretions G is a great guy and coach. His agent is even better.

ryebread
    Participant

Packalum: what you are describing is more what Turg has done at Maryland. Look at the first four years and we’ve had much better results.

Yes MD is highly ranked right now. That is due to recruiting and taking some questionable transfers. I’m not convinced they’ll do much in the tournament with them, but I could be wrong.

If we missed on coaches in that last search they were Marshall, Smart and Arch. It wasn’t the Turg.

redisgood
    Participant

I think I’ll reserve judgement on Turgeon “building a program” until after this year when two of his top four players declare early for the NBA and the other two graduate. He has had one top 25 recruiting class since arriving at Maryland, and is currently ranked behind us for next year. No question he has a great team this year, but it will take a lot more than that to declare he has built a program.

Viewing 13 posts - 26 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.