Pack Picks Up Four Star SG/PF Maverick Rowan For 201547Sports’ seventh-ranked small forward and the 39th-best

Home Forums All StateFansNation Pack Picks Up Four Star SG/PF Maverick Rowan For 201547Sports’ seventh-ranked small forward and the 39th-best

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    BJD95
    Keymaster

I’m still buzzing over the report from the other thread that this kid has a STEPBACK JUMPER in his arsenal. Seriously, who last had that? Migjen Bakkali?

TMD11
    Participant

I hope and believe Rowan is far better and has far more potential than Scott Wood. A Rodney Monroe comparison might be more appropriate for Rowan. He brings a lot of offensive firepower to the equation. WELCOME Maverick…!

Fastback68
    Participant

On top of everything else, there are multiple video clips where Mav is leaving his feet and is moving lateral to the basket and draining two handed shots from varying distances to the rim. I don’t care who you are if you can hit shots with regularity while moving east to west or vice versa relative to the rim no one can defend that. How Rowan scores with a lock down defender will be interesting to evaluate.

44rules
    Participant

I’ll go with WBSW. It is funny. And BJD, I think Migjen still holds the State record for most 3s in a game with 7 or 8 or something like that.

Communism is not love. Communism is a hammer which we use to crush the enemy. Mao Zedong

Tau837
    Participant

^Scott Wood had 7 3-pointers in a game once and 6 quite a few times. Not sure where to find the State record.

Can anyone guess who posted this gem just over 3 months ago?

Mark Turgdeon’s doing pretty well BUILDING his program up at Maryland. Not sure what Gott is building other than a house of cards. No seniors or freshman? SEVEN scholarship players? Enjoy another bubble year because the future looks dim.

Let’s just hope we only have one more year of Gott and can hire Archie next year.

I haven’t seen him posting much recently… not enough doom and gloom to draw him in?

BJD95
    Keymaster

Wow, you guys really are talking about some Rodney Monroe traits. Don’t make me start to get the vapors!

And yeah, when Migjen was on, he was like Rain Man. Unstoppable.

ryebread
    Participant

I think Rowan is more of a scorer than a pure shooter like Wood was coming in. I think he can fill it up, but wonder how efficient a scorer he is. That will be interesting to see. He can already dunk more than Scott Wood. 😀

I loved Wood’s game and his shooting. We can only hope to have another one like him.

As for a step back, Lacey had a pretty good one last year. Really, he had pretty much all the types of shots.

PapaJohn
    Participant

Double bye!
    That sounds great to me. Solid tournament team, plus a good shot at winning the ACC weekend due to one less game to play.

Excellent goal!

PapaJohn
    Participant

RODNEY MONROE????

Seriously???
    I just noticed this guy compared to Rodney Monroe.
    Man, don’t say Rodney unless you mean it. That guy was unbelievable. He had an amazing touch. I recorded every game he played at State and watched them several times before finally getting rid of the tapes.

I will never forget the ACC tournament game against WF in 1989 when, with seconds left in regulation, our guy deliberately missed a free throw and Rodney grabbed the rebound and flipped it in while falling on his back. That saved our butt, and we went on to win. I think that was the only 4 overtime ACC game ever. Both teams scored over 100 points. Incredible game.

If this guy really is another Rodney Monroe caliber scoring machine, we are in for a treat. Rodney’s only real weakness was his size, and this guy doesn’t have that problem.

MrPlywood
    Participant

I think this kid is going to inspire his own nickname. It certainly remains to be seen how his game translates to a bigger stage. But I like what I see so far.

TMD11
    Participant

Rodney Monroe could carry the team and win games by himself, Rodney Monroe was unstoppable at times, and Monroe could put the ball in the basket consistently at crunch time, and was in a far different class than Scott Wood…
    Rowan can score and put the ball in the basket consistently and at a fast rate – more like Monroe.
    Wood could shoot 3’s… but was nowhere near the offensive force that Monroe was. Rowan reminds one of Monroe far more than a Scott Wood, but college is a different beast than high school.

PackerInRussia
    Participant

Oh, what kind of world do we live in when someone named Maverick needs a nickname?

TeufelWolf
    Participant

His mama calls him Maverick, Imma call him Maverick. I will however wait until at least his first dogfight before I start comparing him to Ice[man] haha. I do love our excitement. Should be another fun year!!

JohnGalt78
    Participant

Maverick = Top Gun….what more do you want? Talk to me Goose….

tractor57
    Participant

The best bombers in a Sate uniform I have seen:
    1. Derrick Whittenburg
    2. Rodney Monroe
    3. Monte Towe
    4. Scott Wood

Derrick and Rodney could manufacture the shot. Monte and Scott needed a setup.
    If Maverick Rowan even comes close to these it will be a big win.

Pack Leader
    Participant

LOVE the pickup…. but I wouldnt go as far as to say Mav is as good, or better, than Wood. Scott not only had one of the quickest/deadliest shots around, he also ran point for Marion his senior year. Watch some of his hold youtube highlight reels & he is banging 35′ jumpers with ease time after time. Not to mention SW was one of the best free throw shooters in ACC history. From what I read, Mav shot just over 70% from the strike…

I do think he will be more athletic & not as big of a defensive liability as SW, but the jury is still out on if he can hang with ACC competition right out of the gate. He needs some time in the gym, and with his late arrival dont expect too much improvement between now and first day of practice.

I did find it weird that he was quoted as saying he didnt know any of our current players. He knew about the opening on the wing with the loss of BSW & Lacey, but I would have thought he would get to know some of his teammates before commiting. Oh well.

Great job recruiting Gott!!!!

rtpack24
    Participant

Rodney had two nick names “Ice” and “Cool Whip” which was from high school

Texpack
    Participant

LOVE the pickup…. but I wouldnt go as far as to say Mav is as good, or better, than Wood. Scott not only had one of the quickest/deadliest shots around, he also ran point for Marion his senior year. Watch some of his hold youtube highlight reels & he is banging 35? jumpers with ease time after time. Not to mention SW was one of the best free throw shooters in ACC history. From what I read, Mav shot just over 70% from the strike…

I do think he will be more athletic & not as big of a defensive liability as SW, but the jury is still out on if he can hang with ACC competition right out of the gate. He needs some time in the gym, and with his late arrival dont expect too much improvement between now and first day of practice.

I did find it weird that he was quoted as saying he didnt know any of our current players. He knew about the opening on the wing with the loss of BSW & Lacey, but I would have thought he would get to know some of his teammates before committing. Oh well.

Great job recruiting Gott!!!!

Terry Gannon was a better shooter than Towe IMHO. I also watched Whit for 4 years in person and he found space well without as many picks as Wood, but I wouldn’t say he created his own shot. Lowe was very much involved

TheCOWDOG

Joe Cafferky. Hands down.

51.9 % from ’71-’73…his only 2 seasons.

Never a dumb shot. Joe Cafferky is the best off guard to have ever played college ball at NCSU.

choppack1
    Participant

I am with pack leader. Let’s not put too much pressure on this kid.

He could be a solid player and not be as good as wood. He could be an all-american and not be as good as Rodney Monroe.

I have no frame of reference for cd’s shooting guard as I am only 45 – but I don’t doubt he was a good one.

44rules
    Participant

Lots of old folks say Cafferky was better than Mo Rivers, the 2 guard on the 74 championship team. I remember Rivers, but not Cafferky.

Communism is not love. Communism is a hammer which we use to crush the enemy. Mao Zedong

peteavio
    Participant

I too was worried about BJD being hacked, but the two Migjen references eased my mind. I am a bit unsettled by the “new” BJD. Is this a sign of things to come?

Radman
    Participant

Joe Cafferky was a great guard. Mo Rivers was a better defensive player but Cafferky was far better offensively. That 72-73 team was fun to watch.

WallyB
    Participant

@peteavio

I think the new & improved BJD has just finally gotten the right balance of (self-induced) medications. With all this talk of Migjen Bakali, I fully expect next that he’ll share his Mark Davis (M.D., Doctor of the three) story from the day after the LRI(tm) game in March 1992.

walton
    Participant

I count a possible 9 man rotation with the addition Kirk and Rowan. I would love to see Gott make that work and use it. We have the potential to run the whole game and that is a big advantage. Tired of seeing us settle into a 7 man rotation at the end of the season when we have players who I think should be getting PT and aren’t. Then we loose them.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.