Pack adds key transfer to basketball program

Home Forums All StateFansNation Pack adds key transfer to basketball program

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    StateFans
    Keymaster

We may be in the middle of the dogdays of summer, but NC State’s 2014 basketball recruiting work hasn’t taken a summer vacation. According to an ESPN
    [See the full post at: Pack adds key transfer to basketball program]

BJD95
    Keymaster

Plug and play replacement for BSW.

Fastback68
    Participant

I’ll take that sophomore class lump any day of the week. Hope Gott can lump 2015 as well.

Pack Leader
    Participant

Good addition. In todays 1 & Done college basketball, experienced mature teams usually do well in March. I do wish he was a freshman last year, but I also wish I drove a Maserati. This squad can be competitive in the ACC for 2 years, without much fear of players jumping to the NBA.

WE NEED a top guard in this next years recruiting class. NEED.

WTNY
    Participant

Plug and play replacement for BSW

Actually, he is the replacement for a transfer “to be named” at the end of next season. We are now recruiting players to replace transfers that have yet to occur.

*Sigh*

rtpack24
    Participant

Great addition to the program. High character kid that is an excellent shooter and good all round basketball player. I have been impressed with character of kids this staff has recruited.

D Wolf
    Participant

In the player led practice on Monday night (basically a glorified pick up game) Dez Lee played point opposite Cat Barber. My guess is he’ll pick up the point guard duties when Cat’s not on the floor. With Trevor Lacy shoring up the 2 spot, Dez can slide into either spot as a backup.

ryebread
    Participant

D Wolf: Thanks for the information. That makes a lot of sense. We’re going to need Turner and Lacey to score.

1.21 Jigawatts
    Keymaster

Does anyone know if he can play defense?

If he can I’m sure MG will fix that before he sees the court.

Wulfpack
    Participant

^LOL.

In all seriousness, we MUST pick it up there if we are to have any hopes of competing with the big boys. I’ve seen enough of the Scott Woods, BSWs, to know they can only take you so far. Think about the St Louey game…

PackFamily
    Participant

This means that the Wolfpack still will only have ten scholarship players eligible next season and looks very thin at the point guard position.

And yet Tyler Lewis and Rodney Purvis transferred out to play PG at other schools. What were they thinking?

Texpack
    Participant

That sophomore class will put a lump in the trophy case before they all transfer

redcanine
    Participant

I know what Tyler was thinking: “I’m getting killed out here.”

Purvis: “my teammates hate me.”

Gott: “hell with em. Cat Barber is my point guard.”

I’m glad we got Henderson. Welcome aboard.

pakfanistan
    Participant

I know what Tyler was thinking: “I’m getting killed out here.”

Purvis: “my teammates hate me.” I want to play point guard, but I’m not as good at it as the two guys ahead of me, also, I’m not a great shooter so rather than sticking it out and getting better, I’m going to a different school.

Gott: “hell with em. Cat Barber is my point guard.”

I’m glad we got Henderson. Welcome aboard.

redisgood
    Participant

Does anyone know if he can play defense?
    <P></P>
    <P>If he can I’m sure MG will fix that before he sees the court.</P>

Unfortunately defense is the weakest part of his game. Not saying he’s poor defensively, but it is an area that needs some work. He has good athleticism, and hopefully he can and will improve in that area. On a side note, he is good freinds with TJ, and I would bet TJ had a hand in us getting Henderson.

tjfoose1
    Participant

Plug and play replacement for BSW.

I find your use of “B” in “BSW” offensive. Anyone got the 800 number for the US Patent Office complaint line?

pakfanistan
    Participant

I find your use of “B” in “BSW” offensive. Anyone got the 800 number for the US Patent Office complaint line?

It’s meant to honor him.

13OT
    Participant

Wait ’til next season.

choppack1
    Participant

Lol @ blaming poor d on the players. This much should be obvious to anyone with a room temp iq or better – without Scott wood and turner we don’t go anywhere the last 3 years. As for d – turner and wood are good coachable kids. I suspect d isn’t emphasized OR taught well by staff.

The next good defensive team Gottfried has will be his first. But please, continue questioning the only 2 players he’s had who can shoot the 3 well since his arrival.

I am thrilled with this pickup. He’ll be a good addition. I think more tourney bids are likely but our ceiling is low unless we learn how to do 2 of the following 3: make foul shots, defend and defensive rebounding

StateFans
    Keymaster

This kind of conversation & information is EXACTLY what makes SFN such a great community. No chidlish arguments. No one line comments that waste everyone’s time. All insightful, well articulated points.

I just wanted to say THANK YOU to everyone for being a part of the community!

Pack is back in Atl
    Participant

The thing that folks forget about with dissing the Pack defense is the impact of one and done (both transfers and early entrants) and the restrictions on coaching time. It used to be that most players stayed 4 years. There was continuity and repetition of defensive principles. With the limits on coaching time Gott and his staff have to make decisions on how to spend that time. I believe that as our offense has gotten more refined over the 3 years our defense will also with more time and players in the system for longer. I do believe that Gott chooses to allocate more time to offense but defense will move to at least avg in the coming years. You can look at Duke to see the impact of limited practice and player turnover on defense. K’s defense is no where near as intense as it was 15 years ago.

Thoughts?

StateRed44
    Participant

This means that the Wolfpack still will only have ten scholarship players eligible next season and looks very thin at the point guard position.

And yet Tyler Lewis and Rodney Purvis transferred out to play PG at other schools. What were they thinking?

Not sure with Lewis, he got many crunch time minutes and blew it over and over. Purvis thinks he needs to play point to be in the NBA, but he can’t start here, so not sure what he’s thinking either.

pakfanistan
    Participant

The thing that folks forget about with dissing the Pack defense is the impact of one and done (both transfers and early entrants) and the restrictions on coaching time. It used to be that most players stayed 4 years. There was continuity and repetition of defensive principles. With the limits on coaching time Gott and his staff have to make decisions on how to spend that time. I believe that as our offense has gotten more refined over the 3 years our defense will also with more time and players in the system for longer. I do believe that Gott chooses to allocate more time to offense but defense will move to at least avg in the coming years. You can look at Duke to see the impact of limited practice and player turnover on defense. K’s defense is no where near as intense as it was 15 years ago.
    Thoughts?

I think you’re on to something. It seems like every year is a completely new team, so I’m sure for the coaching staff, it’s almost like starting over. I’m not sure our offense has gotten more refined. Last year the whole offense was, “give it to TJ”. I thought our overall offensive flow was better the previous two years, but, those were upperclassmen who had been in the system a couple of years.

It’s pretty clear that Gott likes offense over defense. Honestly, I think that’s a choice that he’s made because more kids want to play offense than defense, so it’s an easier sell.

In closing, “They gotta guard us too pal!”

redcanine
    Participant

Our half court defense isn’t all that bad. Just keep fresh athletic bodies out there via substitutions.

Cut down on turnovers and our transition D will get better.

JohnGalt78
    Participant

Here’s to one line comments that waste everyone’s time.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.