OUTRAGE!!

Home Forums All StateFansNation OUTRAGE!!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    wufpup76
    Keymaster

Russell Wilson – you have committed a THOUGHT CRIME!!!

The Outrage Police are coming!!

It would be completely disingenuous of me to ask ‘Why is this an article?’ while linking to it, but seriously – this sh*t is beyond stupid. A lot of people really need to take a deep breath and get the F over themselves.

I know I’m not alone here in not having facebook or twitter. On twitter especially, you can say something completely innocuous and have every delusional idiot out there who’s world view you have somehow ‘offended’ brigading against you.

Russell makes a completely innocuous tweet containing a harmless opinion and the moral authoritarians from the left and the right lose their sh*t. ‘You’re not a true Christian! Don’t claim it!’. ‘You hate women! You should lose your endorsements and job!’.

These are the people that the media caters too in order to incite and provide clickbait for “ratings and views”.

Damn this world.

fullmoon1
    Participant

Wow. I hate the stigma that Christians cant have fun. Christians aren’t perfect just forgiven. I hope those folks don’t get hold of my movie list.

MrPlywood
    Participant

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. PastorMatt Krachunis, I’m guessing RW’s pastor, seems to have a vested interest in RW. He once tweeted:

PastorMatt Krachunis @krachunis · Feb 1
    You can go from being a nobody to Superbowl champion in 3 years.

and there are pics of RW at the church with Hawks pics and logos and RW’s number on the screens.

Wufpacker
    Participant

If I was RW, I think I’d resent Pastor Matt’s implication of my worthlessness pre-SB.

pakfanistan
    Participant

It’s the internet. Outrage is the default position.

99% of the left and the right don’t give a crap. But the 1% that do are VERY vocal.

wufpup76
    Keymaster

It’s the internet. Outrage is the default position.

First world problems.

It seeps a little bit more into ‘real life’ society and culture every day though. People streaming live events online and either trolls or a group of folks who are offended by said event/people/words sic SWAT teams on them.

That’s an extreme, but a much more common story is individual people having their identifiable information easily accessible and an outrage mob harasses their target’s employer to get the target fired/fined/suspended over mere disagreement or opinion. Or sending any manner of things to the target’s residence, among other things. This, over words typed online.

Some people really need to step away, get some fresh air, and stop acting like (being) tantrum throwing grade-school children.

pakfanistan
    Participant

You can’t make me.

`<serious>
    I was actually listening to the radio and someone was talking about the exact thing you mentioned, online a$$holieness carrying over into every day life. I wonder if it’s related to spending less time interacting with people face to face socially, or if we’re wired as a species to be dicks.

I’m very self aware as I write this, the question is at least partly introspection.
    ‘</serious>

BJD95
    Keymaster

People are just the worst. Twitter and Facebook (like alcohol before same were invented) just help reveal this sad truth.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

^This…

I remember a kid “Rob” back in college days at FSU who was the first I’d met who liked to put stuff in his nose…
    When I asked him why he did that… his answer was …
    “It enhances my personality.”

To which another kid standing with us, who had known Rob for a couple years, replied…
    “But Rob… you’re an A$$hole.”
    ———————

If Russell can handle NFL defensive lineman in his face… he can “handle” this too.. especially for $100 Million a year….

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    wufpup76
    Keymaster

If Russell can handle NFL defensive lineman in his face… he can “handle” this too.. especially for $100 Million a year….

No doubt … I should note that I wasn’t trying to necessarily bemoan social media or calling for a censoring of anything – I’m big on free speech and individual freedoms. Social media is merely yet another platform for an ass to show their true colors, and at least folks have the option of turning off their device if they don’t want to interact anymore 🙂

I was, however, bemoaning the trend of cowards banding together from afar to ruin someone’s life because of a difference of opinion. It’s a topic I’d like to see discussed more at large as we’re more interconnected than ever with technology rapidly changing. There’s good and bad with that. For all the conveniences of something like Google, there’s also the fact that some of their policies plaster your face and information all over the internet. Then all it takes is one nutjob to not like you for whatever reason and you get stalked/harassed from afar.

Anyway, I know Russell will be fine 😉

PackerInRussia
    Participant

I was, however, bemoaning the trend of cowards banding together from afar to ruin someone’s life because of a difference of opinion. It’s a topic I’d like to see discussed more at large as we’re more interconnected than ever with technology rapidly changing.

So, you want to band people together to complain about how people band together and complain?

If I can offer a little color commentary on my comment there: I used several tried and true internet tactics. 1) slightly exaggerating/twisting your position and honing in on a small part to help make my point 2) accusing you of the pinnacle of internet no-no’s: the logical fallacy. Now, if only I could spot a grammar mistake to cast down on your intellect.

The internet is terrible and great. And for the record, I wouldn’t touch 50 Shades of Grey with a 39 1/2-foot pole.

wufpup76
    Keymaster

^PIR: Well done 😉

BJD95
    Keymaster

^^ Hey, RW’s hands are enormous, but that might be extrapolating things a bit too far…

WTNY
    Participant

Talking about politics and religion on the internet at large / social media is a total waste of time. Sometimes I can’t help myself and do it, even when I know better.

I am more than happy to engage someone on these topics personally but not on a message board, etc.

StateFans
    Keymaster

You don’t have to tell the folks at SFN about hate and how uneducated criticism is the default position of folks ‘on the internet’. It is so sad.

Unfortunately for all of us — there is a contemptuous coterie of local ‘media’ personalities and bloggers that is the EPITOME of the snark and smarm and haughty judgement of anything that they think someone else is thinking. The judgements of how awful everyone else is can be insane.

I guess it isn’t hard to imagine when they grow up on personalities like Keith Olbermann who can have nightly “Worst Person in the World” segments on their shows.

Rick
    Keymaster

This will not be a surprise to anyone but in the past I have had a tendency to flame others. I have made a conscious decision not to be a jerk and have really tried to stop doing it. I was not trying to be a douche as much as I was trying to have a discussion but was forgetting that I am interacting with actual people.
    My point is I kind of understand what I think those people were tring to accomplish. I believe they were just trying to say Christians should watch what they say but they ended up looking like jerks by how they did it. Ironically they end up looking worse than RW ever could have for the original tweet.
    I follow RW on twitter and he seems like such a great ambassador. The pictures he puts up of the children in the cancer ward are heart wrenching. To criticize him for one comment given all the good he does is just uncalled for.

redcanine
    Participant

Internet snark is a blessing. It helps people laugh, brings them to tears (metaphorically?), and helps people consider where they come from and where they’re going.

Jimmy V woulda loved it!

Tau837
    Participant

This will not be a surprise to anyone but in the past I have had a tendency to flame others.

LMAO

wufpup76
    Keymaster

Rick, at least you’re self-aware and conscious of the potential impact you can have on others. That trait seems to be completely missing in some.

Also, ‘snark’ does have its usefulness and positive qualities – and admittedly can bring tons of humor. There is a flip side though when it crosses the line into unrepentant arrogance and totalitarian judgement.

pakfanistan
    Participant

I have recently realized people can’t tell the difference between thinking something is in poor taste, being offended, and PC run amok.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.