Ohio State Tabs Holtmann as Head Coach

Home Forums StateFans Basketball Ohio State Tabs Holtmann as Head Coach

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Wulfpack
    Participant

Buckeyes get Holtmann. He was very high on my list. I know he was for others as well.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/19587102/ohio-state-buckeyes-hire-coach-chris-holtmann-away-butler-bulldogs

13OT
    Participant

Holtman, a defensive-minded mid-major coach with NC ties, was the best candidate out there back when we were “looking” for a new men’s basketball coach. Ohio State, even with marginal talent, will be a tough out in the B1G for years to come.

When does bass fishing season start?

Wulfpack
    Participant

It’s just interesting to me to follow the market for coaches. He and Miller were obviously highly regarded this time around.

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

Don’t worry about it. We’ve already got the BEST there is to offer. Thee BEST. In both revenue sports. These guys are changing the “culture” around these parts. You’ll see.

Gowolves
    Participant

I smell some sarcasm. A little pungent, wouldn’t you say?

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

But our guys make the players lift weights. It’s probably going to give us a tremendous edge against the competition!

ryebread
    Participant

Holtmann was my 2 line candidate after Archie as #1. He had impressive results at Butler and had done very well against the P5 and Big East while at Butler. I had Keatts and Wade on the 3 line, and preferred Keatts.

It was unclear to me whether we ever reached out to him or not. One has to think we did and there were some tweets from media types suggesting that this was a candidate we should be going after. I have a hard time believing we went after Keatts without exhausting our chances with Archie (and likely Holtmann).

Honestly, Holtmann is a better “get” than Ohio State deserved. I was hoping karma would bite them, but it looks like being the only job open in town made it more attractive. Shrugs.

I will say this — the BIG got a lot more interesting this offseason. Archie at IU and Holtmann at Ohio State are going to make for some interesting games over the next few years. I might actually have to watch some BIG games.

Wulfpack
    Participant

It was unclear to me whether we ever reached out to him or not. One has to think we did and there were some tweets from media types suggesting that this was a candidate we should be going after. I have a hard time believing we went after Keatts without exhausting our chances with Archie (and likely Holtmann).

I do not have direct knowledge but I do not think he was on our radar. As soon as Arch said no, it appears Keatts was the guy.

TheCOWDOG

It’s an 8 year contract. Sorry, but I could have picked up a ton of exploded grey matter, in here, had State arm wrestled that one.

ryebread
    Participant

Cowdog: I hear you on the 8 years, though it seems like we still may need to pick up some exploded grey matter. Here’s to hoping some posters come back.

I’m personally fine with Keatts, and I’d have been fine with Holtmann. I prefer either to Gott (both the day Gott was hired and the day Gott was fired).

rthomas44
    Participant

Keatts is going to surprise a lot of people and make everyone forget about who was not hired. I like the way he talks about the game. This man is a coach.

Pack1997
    Participant

I don’t understand why anyone could be disappointed with KK so far. I get some had their hopes up for Archie, but sometimes things just dont work out. From the moment KK was hired he has worked his butt off recruiting and setting the program the way he wants. I remember quite a few people on here wanted to go the Jay Wright route with 4 guards and a big man. Those same individuals are gone since the hiring.Odd when you get what you want.

ryebread
    Participant

97: I’m one who wants the Jay Wright style and think it’d be perfect for NC State and the types of players that a program like ours could naturally recruit. It’s much easier to find 8-9 guards and SFs that can play and pair them with a couple of athletic power forwards than to try to fight the blue bloods for the handful of legitimate quality centers that there are every year. Give me a Richard Howell under the basket with at least 3 good shooters and a minimum of two good ball handlers any day.

I honestly hope it’s what we see, yet paired with more aggressive, full court pressing defense. If so, I have a feeling that I will be very happy with the results. If nothing else, it is going to be entertaining, which is what this whole thing is really about.

Pack1997
    Participant

Rye, I am in agreement. Just making the point many folks wanted this years ago, now they got it but seem to be unhappy about it.

ryebread
    Participant

97: I hear you and have noticed that as well. I’m hoping they come back when they see the product in the court. If it is what I expect/hope the. Some of the basketball minds will recognize how well it fits our program and fan base and hopefully start posting again. I personally think Keatts is off to a very solid start.

I think given the circumstances, anyone not named Archie Miller was going to sting. It seems like we were finally lining it up to kick the football only to have it yanked out from us again. I’ll be the first to admit that I whined a bit for 15 minutes (Paki can attest). I was on board after that 15 minutes (I was so happy it wasn’t Will Wade), but recognize it may take others longer.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.