Notre Dame Bubbleology

Home Forums StateFans Basketball Notre Dame Bubbleology

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Wulfpack
    Participant

Been hearing a lot of noise about Notre Dame with Bonzie Colson back.

It’s time to talk about the Fighting Irish. Bonzie Colson returned to the lineup after a lengthy absence because of injury. He scored 12 points and grabbed 9 rebounds in 21 minutes in Wednesday’s win over Pitt. The Fighting Irish are 12-3 with Colson and 6-9 without him, a stretch that included almost the entire ACC season.

Notre Dame is just one season-ending, shock-the-world win at Virginia away from finishing 9-9 in the ACC. Is an upset in Charlottesville likely? Perhaps not. But keep in mind that on paper, a Notre Dame team that played without Colson for the balance of the conference season is as good as, if not better than, Miami, NC State or Virginia Tech in per-possession terms.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/page/bubblewatch030218/final-tests-champ-week

What say you?

packalum44
    Participant

I think the Notrer Dame articles are click bait. There are too many more deserving teams. Missing a player is perhaps the last variable taken into account when narrowing down bubble teams. Notre Dame is too far outside the bubble discussion because they don’t have enough quality wins. Their best wins are 1) Wichita State 2) NC State 3) Florida State and 4) Syracuse. That won’t cut it.

ancsu87
    Participant

I found this in the same article to be quite laughable:
    “Oklahoma is arguably the safest tournament bet in history among teams with a 7-10 conference record.” I resign myself that they will make the tournament but by that standard we should have made it last year so everyone could see a potential NBA ROY play one game in March tournament. I must have missed the injuries the Sooners suffered this season.

The problem with statistics like per possession is they don’t count once you actuslly play a game. Every game has intangibles of which some are known or not ever known that impact the outcome outside the precious money ball stats. To call ND better than those other teams because of a stat metric while ignoring the actual results is laughable.

Gowolves
    Participant

My issue is not deep. It doesn’t go into overall records with and without. Ken Pom rankings don’t matter. Maybe it should. We had that issue with Johnson to some extent. The fact is their record in the ACC doesn’t have what it takes to get in. If it’s close then I could understand. This isn’t close in my opinion.

8-10 conference record is all I need to know.

freshmanin83
    Participant

I found this in the same article to be quite laughable:
    “Oklahoma is arguably the safest tournament bet in history among teams with a 7-10 conference record.” I resign myself that they will make the tournament but by that standard we should have made it last year so everyone could see a potential NBA ROY play one game in March tournament. I must have missed the injuries the Sooners suffered this season.

The problem with statistics like per possession is they don’t count once you actuslly play a game. Every game has intangibles of which some are known or not ever known that impact the outcome outside the precious money ball stats. To call ND better than those other teams because of a stat metric while ignoring the actual results is laughable.

This is making too much sense don’t show it the espn writers their brains may explode.

Wulfpack
    Participant

I’m not suggesting they should be in. It’s all relative – how do they stack up with their peers on the bubble? That’s where (I think) it could get interesting.

And with unbalanced scheduling, conference record should never be dispositive (and it never is). They look at the whole body of work – and yes, some are going to say they are a better team with Bonzie back. And they aren’t wrong about that.

I wouldn’t put them in, but if they win a couple three games in Brooklyn, we are going to hear it.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

What say you?

For every team you put in the field that didn’t earn it, you have to take one out that did. ->
    “I think they would have won” can’t over ride “did win”.

choppack1
    Participant

Yea VaWolf – notre Dame’s problem is that they haven’t proven to be a great time since his return. A deep ACC tournament run could change that. But thus far, his return has meant a 1-1 record with the only win being a non at-large bid team and a loss to a likely no 1 seed.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.