Non-Conference Conference FB Games?

Home Forums StateFans Football Non-Conference Conference FB Games?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    VaWolf82
    Keymaster

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/a-bad-idea–acc-and-big-ten-have-talked-of-playing-non-conference-conference-games-135843478.html

As a future scheduling frenzy envelops the power five conferences in college football because of the new College Football Playoff system, the ACC and Big Ten have brought up the idea of letting its teams play non-conference games against each other.

I think that this is a good idea, but the author disagrees:

How confusing would a game between North Carolina State and Duke be that doesn’t count towards the ACC standings? Whenever you need special notations for conference standings and schedules, you’ve gone too far. While we get the sentiments of those in the ACC wanting to play teams from opposite divisions more often, it’s needlessly adding confusion to a less-than-streamlined system.

Doesn’t seem confusing to me at all. Would you rather play Miss St or Duke? I’ll take Duke, UVA, etc 10 times out of 10.

Wulfpack
    Participant

How confusing would a game between North Carolina State and Duke be that doesn’t count towards the ACC standings?

I think I can handle it. It’s a fine idea.

LRM
    Keymaster

I like the idea, but it doesn’t really seem to solve the problem of scheduling winnable home games the ADs seem so intent on.

I prefer the ACC/SEC schedule alliance (even if it’s Mississippi State).

highstick
    Participant

You’ll love those cow bells….and they will sneak them in!!

"Whomp 'em, Up, Side the Head"!

BJD95
    Keymaster

I would prefer Miss St.

But that’s not the real menu. It’s Duke or Old Fucking Dominion. So…Duke.

TheCOWDOG

Jeebus…just schedule the 9 games, then.

Hell yes, I’d take Mississippi State over Duke…any of ’em. I’d take any Power Conference team over a non-conference/yet conference matchup.

I’m patient. I’ll wait for Duke/VT/Miami…whoever, to roll around.

I’d still like to know the 8 that don’t think like the other six

Fastback68
    Participant

We would still go 4-8 and you know which games we would lose.

LRM
    Keymaster

You’ll love those cow bells….and they will sneak them in!!

I was at the ’95 Peach Bowl when those cow bells went silent.

Reminds me, I was on the MARTA after, and a State fan yelled out “I don’t hear any of those damn cow bells now!” and a little kid defiantly rang his in response. Pretty funny.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Yea, come to think of it, talking about these cowbells – I’ll take MSU over Duke or what have you. Those are some serious fans.

But Duke or what have you over the sisters of the poor any day of the week. Sometimes those sisters don’t play so poorly against us. It’s their super bowl. And it’s our egg bowl. Hehe.

BJD95
    Keymaster

I absolutely LOVED that Mississippi State game. Great energy on the field and in the stands.

Royal Wulff
    Participant

At the CLT coaches caravan, DY said we’re “really close” to inking a home & home w/Miss. State. She wanted to schedule Vandy, but so does every other school in the country now that Franklin’s gone. She also said “it’s up to the coaches”, but we’d like to schedule a “non-conference” series with Duke. On the subject of scheduling, DY got some nice digs in on Fridge and Prince Tassel Loafer (w/o naming names).

FWIW, I’m with you, BJD. That Peach Bowl was a blast. It almost made up for the one against VT, when at least 5 Hokies spontaneously had seizures when Dooley ran out of timeouts. Just in time to get the kicker on the field to hit the game winner from downtown.

ancsu87
    Participant

That was not Dooley. It was Beamer in his first or second year. Never liked the guy after that.

ancsu87
    Participant

I was wrong. You are right that was Dooley’s last year at Va Tech. Beamer came in the next year. I had forgotten Dooley was surrounded by allegations and was a lame duck coach at that game.

nav
    Participant

I personally would like to get rid of the two divisions all together. I would prefer to either have no divisions with rotating teams you play each year, keep 1 or 2 permanent partners, or 4 divisions and rotate which other divisions you play each year. In both strategies, the two teams with the best record, regardless of divisions, play each other in the conf championship. Or at a minimum, let’s put the triangle teams back together in one division.

There is no best answer to this problem.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.