No RESPECT for FUGLY….

Home Forums StateFans Basketball No RESPECT for FUGLY….

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    bill.onthebeach
    Participant

2018 ACC Honors are out tonight…

ACC Coach of the Year:
    Tony Bennett, Virginia, 47 votes
    Brad Brownell, Clemson, 8 votes
    Kevin Keatts, NC State, 2 votes

I’ll give Bennett his due, but the rest is a crock…

But, I’m thinking this TEAM and this Coach will find a way to use this sh#t is positive ways…
    It’s that “We still got something to prove” thing…

… and I wonder who the “2” who voted for Keatts were…
    I would like to shake their hands….

—————
    Yurt7 did make the Third Team…
    MARKELL did get Honorable Mention…

which is no surprise…
    although somewhat dubious…

Congratulations Guys!

GO PACK!

POP!!!

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    Wulfpack
    Participant

I would have put all my marbles in on Bennett. Incredible season. Then Keatts, no question.

Heelh8r
    Participant

Good call on Dorn, BotB. I was thinking who I would pick for MVP on this team. It’s not easy. I think it may be Allerick, even with the bad start, because he is our go to guy to get points. Yurt gets strong consideration. Some games he does it with points, some with defense or rebounding, some he is not too big a factor. But Dorn gets strong consideration too. Especially lately. He takes it to the rim like nobody else, gets rebounds nobody else can get to, and is the steady player we have to have to win. Markell has also arguably been our MVP many games. ACC leader in assists and he is the one running Keatts offense. Beverly as a freshman wouldn’t get MVP consideration but boy has he been important. It’s such a great TEAM, it is hard to pick who is more important. I guess that is why they have been so fun to watch and pull for. A true team. Keatts gets my vote along with the other two he received for making it all work. But I will say, this is not a rag tag bunch of nobodies, that is a strong starting five, with Abu, Freeman, Hunt, and Batts off the bench. I like our TEAM!

Mike
    Participant

Bennett gets the vote simply by finishing first…….but the improvement shown by both the Pack and Klempsun deserves far more consideration in my book. As a person I think the world of Bennett, but Brownell and Keatts both did a better job of coaching their teams this season and improving on the expected.

Wulfpack
    Participant

UVa was predicted to finish 6th. He won 17 league games. That’s crazy stuff.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

UVa was predicted to finish 6th. He won 17 league games. That’s crazy stuff.

And from unranked to #1. Bennett will be one of the front-runners for national COY.

This award has been Bennett’s to lose since about the third week in Jan (if not sooner).

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Ya’ll know that the vote is ‘rigged’…

The ‘voters’ only get 1 vote… So if you vote for someone, you’re, by default, not voting for anybody else…

Then the question is…

“Are you voting solely on what a Coach accomplished THIS season, or based on THIS Season’s results that took several seasons to accomplish?”

More simply put… Not to take away anything from Virginia’s record this season… Number 1 is Number 1, but simply to say…

“Did that happen in one season or over several seasons?”

In Bennett’s case, the answer is…

“One Season, kinda/sorta…”

It would make more sense IF voters got three votes… and the winner got the cumulative total of all three votes…

In which case, Bennett still wins by a lot…
    BUT… the ‘battle’ for second place is a fair fight and we’d get an ‘honest’ tally of what non-Wolfpackers really think about the job Keatts has done in short time….

Without that, I guess we’ll should just consider that Keatts’ 2 votes speak volumes…

And we’ll look forward to settling that score with Brownell this coming Friday…

———————–

THEN… I wonder why Uncle Roy didn’t get the ‘traditional’ Carolina vote… I forgot his name, but he was a newspaper reporter in Greensboro or Winston, I think, who only and always voted light blue…

IIRC, in at least one of David’s seasons 73-75… he was NOT Unanimous ACC POY by the 1 Carolina voter, a tradition subsequently continued and passed down the ranks of UN* journalism/english majors who turned to sports for lack of better work…

————————

YURT7 is an enigma — the sometimes 7footer in the paint, the sometimes forward with the fade away jumper, the sometimes 3 point shooter…

You can call that ‘versatile’…
    You can call ‘versatile’ a good skillset to have..

But what good is ‘versatile’ when you’re average at best in the different areas
    and ‘versatile’ results in being in the wrong place, doing the wrong things at the wrong time a good percentage of the time?

I say, pick one and be First Team All-ACC at one position, which in this case means

‘learn to dominate the paint on both ends of the court’.

His 3rd Team selection was a courtesy vote by the voters so as not to leave State completely out….

Nothing more, Nothing else… and there were no other clearcut
    better choices available….

————————
    Bottom Line is this…

Ain’t nobody voting for individual Fugly…

FUGLY is a TEAM concept!

————————
    As the MVP on THIS Wolfpack team…

Not so tough… it’s either DORN or MARKELL, and I gotta go with DORN… for multiple reasons, which shouldn’t take away from anything MARKELL accomplished… It’s a close race, but, remember, you only get 1 vote…

POP!!!

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    Texpack
    Participant

State had a TEAM this year win 11 league games so I wasn’t surprised that Yurt, as the last man on the 3rd Team, was our only All-ACC honoree. We had different guys step up at different times which diluted their individual numbers.

As for COY, we all knew that the lounge singer would win it going away. He deserves it. Brownell and Keatts both had performances that would win COY 60-70% of the time, Brownell probably got a few more votes for holding his team together after Grantham got hurt which is fair enough. No reason for outrage.

The trophy they give at the end of the ACC Tournament goes to the best TEAM. We have a decent chance to take that one back to Raleigh after this coming weekend if we play as a TEAM. There will be the need for Al to play hero ball at the end of the shot clock at times, but our success can be pegged to two stats, forced TO’s and made FG to assist ratio. #tournamenttime

Note – Texpack Sr.(BSME ’50) says that when Coach Case referred to tournamenttime, it was written in the newspaper as one word.

Rick
    Keymaster

Bennet can coach but watching his teams play is painful unless you like watching constant hand checking, pushing and fouling. I just have no desire to watch it. I am sure I would love it if the pack was doing it but he is doing to college sports what the Knicks do to the nba in there 90s. It has to change it it will completely kill the sport.

44rules
    Participant

Agreed Rick. I watch Virginia when they play us. That’s it.

Communism is not love. Communism is a hammer which we use to crush the enemy. Mao Zedong

ancsu87
    Participant

Bennet can coach but watching his teams play is painful unless you like watching constant hand checking, pushing and fouling. I just have no desire to watch it. I am sure I would love it if the pack was doing it but he is doing to college sports what the Knicks do to the nba in there 90s. It has to change it it will completely kill the sport.

Agree .. UVA’s style takes FUGLY to a whole new dimension or even universe.

GoldenChain
    Participant

I am sure I would love it if the pack was doing it

No we wouldn’t Rick. Bennett is doing properly what Herb was never able to completely pull off. We hatted Herb. But if he could have done it and been #1 and won all but 1 of his conference games in a season we might have tolerated him but I still wouldn’t have like ole Droopy.

Rick
    Keymaster

I am sure I would love it if the pack was doing it

No we wouldn’t Rick. Bennett is doing properly what Herb was never able to completely pull off. We hatted Herb. But if he could have done it and been #1 and won all but 1 of his conference games in a season we might have tolerated him but I still wouldn’t have like ole Droopy.

Gc,
    I think you are right. The success would have made it tolerable but it is brutal basketball. And if the acc ever decides it doesn’t want to ruin the game it will clean that crap up and buh-bye to uva success.
    Thanks for the correction.

freshmanin83
    Participant

When Jimmy V. was winning he sometimes had a strategy of fouling people not just in the last bit of a game but sometimes well before the end of a game if needed. Was that unwatchable or only tolerated BB? It was ugly and sure slowed the game down. What about the unique zone defences employed that made other teams look bad and slowed them down.

I think winning might help me like something more especially if the person doing it is charasmatic.

Not a VA. fan but they do seem to play sound fundamental basket ball.

Rick
    Keymaster

Not a VA. fan but they do seem to play sound fundamental basket ball.

I disagree. They enjoy a ‘foul so much they can’t call them all’ philosophy on defense. That hardly fundamental.

choppack1
    Participant

Disagree on Bennett. They are more fundamentally sound than most teams. As for the “it makes my eyes bleed” – if it ain’t sorry grapes, it probably means you deserve basketball the brand of which was employed by Gott.

freshmanin83
    Participant

The refs seem to have no problem calling multiple fouls on the Pack, Va is not one of the blues so what would hinder them from calling all the fouls in the world if they wanted?

I am not sure if I buy they foul too many times to call.

GoldenChain
    Participant

I think the refs adjust to the physicality of the game. What UVA is good at is getting your to play a physical half court game.
    Where I think State gets dinged is getting into a transition game and that isn’t as physical so when they do get physical they get called.

Rick
    Keymaster

I think the refs adjust to the physicality of the game. What UVA is good at is getting your to play a physical half court game.
    Where I think State gets dinged is getting into a transition game and that isn’t as physical so when they do get physical they get called.

Agreed. Which is crap. A foul is a foul is a foul.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.