N&O: NC State football fills lots of needs

Home Forums StateFans Football N&O: NC State football fills lots of needs

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    StateFans
    Keymaster

When a team is as thin as NC State then you just need bodies. To get the right bodies at the positions of need just serves as an added bonus.

Link

Doeren brought in the 27th-ranked class in the country, according to Rivals, in a large wave of new Wolfpack players, including 18 from within the state, for a reason.

“We had a lot of needs,” Doeren said.

Doeren specifically said both lines and the secondary were primary areas of need. N.C. State added seven new defensive backs, six defensive linemen and five new offensive linemen on Wednesday.

“I didn’t feel like we had enough depth or competition in our program,” Doeren said. “We needed both and I think we accomplished both.”

I’m surprised that more hasn’t been made about our lack of quality and depth at the linebacker position…so, I was particularly happy to get Ty Linton and Coult Culler, both of whom could immediately battle for starting roles.

Perhaps the most interesting addition is linebacker Ty Linton, who is one of three walk-ons in the class. Three of the early enrollees will count towards the 2013 class and a two other players are expected to “grayshirt,” which is how the class will meet the NCAA limit of 25.

If Linton’s name sounds familiar, he committed to play football at North Carolina in 2010. The Charlotte Christian product ended up playing minor-league baseball instead.

After four minor-league seasons with the Arizona Diamondbacks, who will pay for his tuition, Linton decided to get back into football. Charlotte Christian receiver Bo Hines, the first recruit to commit to Doeren last year, helped land Linton.

Linton was going to go back to UNC but Doeren, who had originally recruited Linton to Wisconsin four years ago, was able to get Linton to switch to N.C. State.

That was one of many small wins on the recruiting trail Doeren hopes will pay off in his second season and down the road.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.