NIT season will result from State’s own bad habits

Home Forums All StateFansNation NIT season will result from State’s own bad habits

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 80 total)
  • Author
    MISTA WOLF
    Participant

Damn you auto correct.

wolfpup44
    Participant

Ok, after reading some of the posts I will reflect. Being 50 years old I have lived the first 25 years of my life with Wolfpack basketball that one several ACC tourneys and 2 national titles. The last 25 years has been talk of rebuilding. You cannot spend 25 years rebuilding. Some posts discuss the youth of the team, well we got beat by youth the other night against UNC. Every team is young, so it is irrelevant. I feel that the strength of Duke and UNC will not tip the scales our way until some coaches retire, and even then we may not benefit. Forget what happened against Miami. The reality is that we are owned by UNC and Duke and until that changes who cares about making the tournament. Our goal should be to win the ACC, but I hate to say that our strength was lost many years ago. How I have hated the last 20 years of State basketball.

Alpha Wolf
    Keymaster

There is too much drama in this team still.

Lewis is mad when he doesn’t start. Barber is mad when he doesn’t start. BOTH have OBVIOUS flaws in their games. Lewis can’t shoot and can’t play defense, while Barber is ineffective as a distributor and relies on his athletic ability which causes turnovers. Anyway, you hear rumblings from parents and sisters — Lewis wants to go to Davidson, and Barber’s sister bellers on Twitter that he needs to leave after this season. It’s gotten old.

13OT
    Participant

I don’t want us to lose next Sunday to BC, nor do I want us to do what we’ll probably do next week in Greensboro- bomb out to yet another team we should beat.

But seriously, folks, it’s time to put this lousy, miserable, forgettable season into the history books.

There is absolutely NOTHING to be gained by going to the NIT, and probably as a road team. I got my fill of the NIT under HWSNBN. It’s a LOSER’S tournament, a place for underachieving BCS-level teams, and smaller schools who will be trying harder to knock off one of ’em.

I sat through the Miami game yesterday. Enough already!!!!

PackofMac
    Participant

Everyone moaning and groaning about defense remember…these young men either know or don’t know, have the fire or don’t have the fire well before they step on campus….many of our kids just don’t. Ralston Turner has the ugliest shot in the history, sure, some go in….some would go in if Cat shot more 3’s, Buckets shot 3’s, Tyler shot 3’s….RALSTON CAN NOT GUARD ANYONE. Who gives a flying poo at this point, losing a hard fought game to the hells, panthers, orange, tigers (mizzu) sure…keep supporting, but losing at home to Miami by 15? Really THIS JUST IN…..the Harlem Globe Trotters have scheduled the Pack during their summer tour.

PackofMac
    Participant

“Lewis wants to go to Davidson, and Barbers sisters blah, blah, blah…

HEY CAT… see ya! I think Tyler is a little happier at this point

PK Pollar
    Participant

This was going to be a tough year. Would have liked to see consistency develop, but we are young. It has been hard to enjoy the times of really good playing, because you knew we would be dashed by the coming poor playing (as in the Missouri, Pitt, and many games since).

It is hard to handle because of all the prior seasons that had similar outcomes (close but no cigar). But those other years had players with more experience.

It is Gott’s team and his staff. Don’t care who is on the staff as long as it doesn’t have that Santa character from UNC-Cheater Hill.

If we get an NIT bid, take it and give the guys some more experience. Every free throw, every dribble, every pass can make a difference if they let it.

This might be my twentieth time to say it … but I won’t give up, never.

MrPlywood
    Participant

“Anyway, you hear rumblings from parents and sisters — Lewis wants to go to Davidson, and Barber’s sister bellers on Twitter that he needs to leave after this season. It’s gotten old.”

Gott just won’t let them be great. To the disgruntled, I say “show me”.

Alpha Wolf
    Keymaster

HEY CAT… see ya! I think Tyler is a little happier at this point

I think Barber’s ceiling is far higher than Lewis, who is slow, is not a consistent threat to shoot over a zone and is a severe defensive liability.

Barber needs to work on his decision making, something that can be taught. He is a good defender and he has a decent midranger that will improve with more experience.

DrWuffette1day
    Participant

CD- you impress me.

Given our personnel, it’s a good system and it’s one that we can build on in future years.

Alpha, interesting and agreed. Papa John, you too. Wulfpack- fair enough. Adventuroo- you’re trouble. 🙂

Foose, thanks for the reality check. My season expectations were low at the beginning of the season too. We have done ok but it still hurts considering what could have/should have been given some unfortunate circumstances.

Cat is making a big transition. I do not want to lose that guy. He’s outstanding but just hit the wall. Tyler has been threatening to transfer the last couple of years…hope he doesn’t.

Tyler, TJ and Rodney was a Lowe/Gott class. Tyler with his buddy Vandy gone may be feeling a bite of loneliness. He is just such a liability on defense. Placing one of those water coolers on the defensive side of the court might prove more efficient. He’s got heart and has shown tremendous maturity on the floor…hope he settles down.

packalum44
    Participant

I don’t have the professional skills and experience necessary to intelligently decompose bad movies. I just know em’ when I see em’. Gott had a hit or two (Elite 8 run and recruiting splashes) overall ehhhhh.

He’s a really good recruiter and average coach. We knew this on day 1. I think most hoped he had a bad rap and would turn out a better coach…living on a prayer they don’t always get answered. For those who do not see his coaching limitations, I hear Lee Folwer is always looking a fishing buddy.

Gott has admitted several times that he must land top 10 classes each year to build the program he was hired for. Fine and dandy if it works. Problem is 2015 looks bleak. Much harder to recruit when your program is NIT bound.

Winning coaches on the other hand (Shaka Smart, Tony Bennet, Marshall) will have an easier time recruiting.

Assuming finances are not an issue (they are), you only fire Gott if 1) you are damm sure you can upgrade OR 2) he bombs 2015 recruiting next year and 2016 looks bleak.

Bad recruiting for someone who is a self admitted poor man’s Calipari/Roy is a LEADING indicator and would be foolish to wait for a LAGGING indicator (multiple losing seasons).

Would any of ya’ want your financial adviser to wait until the stock market plummets before selling if they had a good leading indicator to forewarn them?

pakfanistan
    Participant

Would any of ya’ want your financial adviser to wait until the stock market plummets before selling if they had a good leading indicator to forewarn them?

That all depends on what he was going to do with it next. If I was getting out of the stock market and into Greek bonds, I might just take my loses.

I think Gott is good enough to keep until we have a surefire replacement.

Alpha Wolf
    Keymaster

And there is the rub: a sure-fire replacement. We’d want a major program D1 coach with a history of strong recruiting, strong in-game coaching and someone who got to the tournament on a regular basis. Wouldn’t be cheap and those guys are fairly rare.

So the questions become: who? And would they be willing to come to NC State, a team with a pronounced mediocrity over the past 24-25 seasons? If we identified such a coach, could we afford him?

BJD95
    Keymaster

I strongly agree with Alpha’s take on the PG situation. Cat has the ceiling of a great PG. WBS has the ceiling of a “fan favorite.” Frankly, I’m not happy with either’s attitude.

No idea why Vandy plays over KH at this point. His play and attitude were wretched against Miami.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Regarding the season’s expectations – I guess you could say he has held serve. The problem is no trophies should be handed out for finishing in the middle of the conference and now living on the NIT bubble. We also have not been competitive in many games, some at home. There are some signs the tracks could be coming apart.

If I had to sum Gott’s tenure up, it would go something like:

Year 1 – Holy smokes!
    Year 2 – Not so fast
    Year 3 – Here we go again

So next year becomes so vitally important to the direction this ship is going to take. I don’t care who we bring in, losing Warren will put us behind the eight ball starting out. He’s going to have to whip them into shape and build the team’s character and identity rather quickly. This year, we beat nobody in the non-conference, and had a loss to freaking Central, so it was going to take a strong ACC season to get us in. It didn’t happen.

Texpack
    Participant

My post from yesterday vaporized after I hit the submit button, but Alpha and BJD have echoed my points on the PG situation. We could have won more games this year had Gott pulled the plug on Cat sooner but I understand what he was trying to do. Cat does have the greater upside and Lewis’ shortcomings are more physical, they ain’t gonna change.

We never developed a consistent second scorer this year. BSW is a very poor man’s Woo at best.

Dez Lee plays hard but it’s pretty obvious why he ended up in JUCO. He is an undersized guy who isn’t a threat from the 3 point line. When you are 6’3″ and your “game” is driving into the teeth of the interior defense and rarely passing you end up in JUCO.

Gott tried all kinds of guard combinations searching for one that was a net positive on the court. I personally don’t think there is a positive combo that exists on this roster. Lacey better be really good or Cat better really improve or we are going to suck big time again next year due to sub par guard play.

Vandy turned out to be only a slightly improved version of previous years.

Anya needs to learn 600 different ways to make a salad this summer and join Washington and Freeman for 2500 FT’s a day. I still believe the staff has at least two Richard Howells in this group. At 275-280 Anya could be dominant.

This season played out slightly worse record wise than I would have expected (1 or 2 games) but about the equivalent of 4 games worse versus the eye test. I would agree that another NIT bid, though I’m not sure we’ll get one this year, would spell the end of Gott. I’m only willing to tolerate this kind of season about once every 6-7 years.

pakfanistan
    Participant

And there is the rub: a sure-fire replacement. We’d want a major program D1 coach with a history of strong recruiting, strong in-game coaching and someone who got to the tournament on a regular basis. Wouldn’t be cheap and those guys are fairly rare.

So the questions become: who? And would they be willing to come to NC State, a team with a pronounced mediocrity over the past 24-25 seasons? If we identified such a coach, could we afford him?

in response to a couple of your points, let me clarify first by saying I mean, “have identified a candidate we can be reasonably sure will accept, and who also possesses the leading indicators of a good coach”.

I think Gott’s S16 run and recruiting (for the most part) have helped with the perception of NC State. I think we’re way more likely to get a serious look now that we got at the end of the Lowe era.

I would prefer NOT to go get a big time coach with a history of success and a gigantic price tag.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

I think Gott’s S16 run and recruiting (for the most part) have helped with the perception of NC State. I think we’re way more likely to get a serious look now that we got at the end of the Lowe era.

Doubtful, but maybe.

Don’t forget that DY will have to overcome the perceptions of her distributed by GW. She will also have to fight against cbssports.com as Doyell, Goodman, Parish, and Davis run their “unreasonable State fans” articles again.

pakfanistan
    Participant

I thought we liked Doyell now?

BJD95
    Keymaster

I think what would hurt DY more than anything (in mens’ basketball hiring) is the public pity party she had the day before she hired MG. That stain remains.

Wulfpack
    Participant

I will say it now, and probably again for the millionth time – if there is any way we can get Greg Marshall, get him. His results speak volumes. But his price may be too high, he may now have loftier goals and he may not listen again, or he may just stay and make Wichita State the next Gonzaga. By that I mean a mid major national powerhouse that runs on autopilot year after year.

maverick_ncsu
    Participant

A couple of things that come to mind as I read this article in particular: I don’t want lose either of our PGs, but for me, I would rather have a guy who gets shooters the ball in the place they want it at the right time than one who looks to score. Now, that necessitates having good shooters, which we don’t really have this year (not consistent ones at least). As for Lewis on the defensive end, I disagree with many on here that think he’s our greatest liability. I watched the *NC game and watched Lewis at least working hard to play defense. It was Turner to me that looked lost way to many times and has much of the year on the defensive end. Now, I’m NOT going as far as saying that Lewis isn’t a liability, but if the bigs were playing a little better on D with defending screens and such, I would rather have Lewis running my offense.

With that said, I really enjoy watching Cat on defense. He may be the best on-ball defender I’ve seen at State in a good while, and he genuinely works hard to keep his feet in position when he’s guarding someone one-on-one.

maverick_ncsu
    Participant

To a totally different point, I have recently become friends with someone who moved into the area that was at Alabama near the end of Gott’s tenure there. I do not want to add to rumors or criticize a man’s character, especially if it is unfounded, but there seemed to be rumors when he was down there and I’ve heard some since he’s been in Raleigh that he isn’t a guy that I would want my college daughter (if I had one) hanging around. I want to root for the guy, and I know that we don’t want to fill our blog with hate speech towards our coach, but I also want to root for a guy and team that make me proud to be a State grad. Are there any legs to this, because if not, I want to make sure to squash this when I hear it.

– From a State grad who cares deeply for our school and the role models it produces

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

if there is any way we can get Greg Marshall, get him.

There were rumors floating that he shit the bed during his interview with DY last time. If there is any truth in those rumors, there may not be any interest on either end.

BJD95
    Keymaster

Marshall seems like the kind of guy who would DEFINITELY hold a grudge. No way would he even listen, except maybe to screw with us.

He also would NOT do well under the media microscope. He needs to be on a campus where he is “King Shit” and free to do as he pleases. Not gonna happen here.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 80 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.