NIT-ology

Home Forums StateFans Basketball NIT-ology

Tagged: 

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Wulfpack
    Participant

Hopefully this post is irrelevant come this weekend, where we play our way into the Big Dance, but for giggles here’s the current situation as it relates to NIT bids.

The NIT must take any regular season conference champion that does not qualify for the NCAA Tourney i.e. that loses in its conference tournament and does receive an NCAA at large bid. Right now there are 8 of these guys by my count. They are Belmont, Davidson, Florida Gulf Coast, High Point, Iona, Vermont, Wisconsin-Green Bay, and Robert Morris. So that leaves 24 bids up for grabs in the 32-team field.

Just looking at The Dance Card, these are the teams ahead of us as it stands today (that would not make the NCAA Tourney):

SMU, Tennessee, Southern Miss, North Dakota State, FSU, WVU, Arkansas, Illinois, Providence, St. John’s, and Toledo. Green Bay is also on this list but they are already in by virtue of their regular season title. Same with Harvard as they have the Ivy automatic bid to the NCAAs.

So by my count that is 11 teams in front of us. That leaves 13 more bids to be had for the NIT.

We’re obviously “in”, but would we host a game at Reynolds (the game must be at Reynolds due to NCAAs at the PNC)? We would need a top four seed (basically, we need to be one of the top 16 teams in the field).

Could be close if we don’t show up this week. My guess is we’d be a three or four seed today.

ruffles31
    Keymaster

This website as of Monday has us as a 4-seed.

NIT-ology

wufpup76
    Keymaster

North Dakota State won the Summit league championship so you can remove them from consideration.

Of SMU, Providence, St. John’s, Tennessee, and FSU – I think a couple of those find a way to squeak in, so there’s that. (I’d be surprised if SMU is snubbed, but we’ll see what happens).

So long as we don’t lose to Miami I think we would host a game.

But let’s just go ahead and win the ACC tournament šŸ™‚

ruffles31
    Keymaster

I think SMU and Tennessee are in the dance.

But agree with wufpup, let’s just win the ACC and not mention the 3 letter tournament again.

StateFans
    Keymaster

Unlike many of the NCAA Tournament projections, I’m not sure that this guy has much of a clue. How would Clemson be a “near miss” when they finished 10-8 in the ACC?

Wulfpack
    Participant

Must be a product of the unbalanced scheduling and a very weak resume. They are not even close to being on the bubble. And I think you have to look at FSU, State and perhaps Maryland first before Clemson. Usually only 2-3 ACC teams qualify for the NIT as they try to spread it around.

BJD95
    Keymaster

I think we’re on the 2 line, and a win today gets us a 1 in the Little Dance.

StateFans
    Keymaster

Ok. I’ll go with this.

JasonP
    Participant

This link has us as a 5 seed, UMD and Clemson at 4, FSU at 1.

Having a hard time with the link not showing. Here’s the copy/paste link:
    http://www.bracketmatrix.com/nit.html

Or just google “Bracket Project” – they’ve got both the NCAA and NIT on the site.

nav
    Participant

I’m not trying to be an ass but does anyone really care what seed we end up in the NIT. I don’t want to hear any crap about extra practice. To me it’s just another game where one of our future players could get injured. Not to mention the injury to my soul when we play in this useless tournament. I’d just as soon skip the NIT but I know that will not happen.

Like Wuf said, hopefully this post is irrelevant.

Wulfpack
    Participant

I care because we’d likely get a home game or two at Reynolds.

Cosmo96
    Participant

Iā€™m not trying to be an ass but does anyone really care what seed we end up in the NIT. I donā€™t want to hear any crap about extra practice. To me itā€™s just another game where one of our future players could get injured. Not to mention the injury to my soul when we play in this useless tournament. Iā€™d just as soon skip the NIT but I know that will not happen.

Like Wuf said, hopefully this post is irrelevant.

For whatever it’s worth, I’m right there with ya, especially the part about having your soul injured.

To me, it’s like being invited to participate in a “Pre-Lent Festival” in downtown Biloxi, Mississippi for a couple of hours on Tuesday afternoon. Meanwhile, over in New Orleans…

wufpup76
    Keymaster

This link has us as a 5 seed, UMD and Clemson at 4, FSU at 1.

Having a hard time with the link not showing. Hereā€™s the copy/paste link:

http://www.bracketmatrix.com/nit.html

Or just google ā€œBracket Projectā€ ā€“ theyā€™ve got both the NCAA and NIT on the site.

^I would say something about Maryland being seeded higher than us – but this is the NIT, so what’s the point? šŸ™‚

As for linking pages, I don’t think it’s currently possible for ‘members’ to provide qualified text links, only ‘admins’ … So, like you, I just copy/paste the link I’d like to share. While I’m broaching this subject, ‘members’ can not have curse or inflammatory words in their posts (which is fine), but ‘admins’ can. It’s only an issue when quoting an admin who has a post that contains curse words.

So if any of you have trouble with your posts you can start there šŸ™‚

Radman
    Participant

Everyone would be disappointed if we end up in the NIT but I suspect the kids would like to play a few more games…even in the NIT.

Mike
    Participant

The Not Invited Tournament.

IF we end up in the NIT and a game in Reynolds, sorry I will not be there. I support my team 100%, even when things look bleak, but I disagree completely with the whole premise of the NIT.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Guessing we will be a 2 seed. Should give us two games at Reynolds.

I am not one that normally cares for this tournament either, but I have enjoyed watching this TEAM play, and they deserve to play more ball. Maybe Warren will go out and get 50 one night. He has been an absolute pleasure to watch, and I will watch more. We’ll be a favorite to win this thing, no question.

FunPack
    Participant

I admit I don’t much care about NIT seeding… but I definitely care about getting into the NIT when we miss the Big Dance. I always want to see at least one more State game.

(OK… there were a few Sendek & Lowe teams that I wanted to have a merciful end… but I think you get what I’m saying!)

Wufpacker
    Participant

Today’s update has us on the top line

http://www.nycbuckets.com/2014/03/nit-bracketology-march-15/

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

ā€¦ Believe it or notā€¦
    our Kids have been under ā€œtremendousā€ pressure this seasonā€¦ and Iā€™m not talking about the normal Tobacco Road stuff..

Itā€™s this.. every day since August, every one of them has been asked to do a whole lot of “things” they didnā€™t know they could do in a very, very short period of timeā€¦ and every one of them has responded in a positive wayā€¦

If we go to NCAA tournament ā€¦ weā€™re gonna travel a long way for one game in front of a small crowd and come right back home.

If we go to the NITā€¦ we could play 3-4 games and the kids could just play and have some ā€˜real funā€™ on the court, have a nice weekend in NYC, and maybe even win the Tournament. And they all still have something bigger to shoot for next season.

Same for our Coaches.

The NIT really might be the best reward for what has been, by most all accounts, a successful seasonā€¦

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    Wulfpack
    Participant

The NIT Selection Show is tonight (Sunday) at 8:30pm on ESPNU. First round games are Tuesday or Wednesday night. Second round games are from March 20-24 with Quarterfinals March 24-25.

MrPlywood
    Participant

I’d be fine with the NIT, for the same reasons Bill pointed out. And the fact is that the top teams in the NIT are likely better than plenty of teams in the NCAA tourney. If the team takes an NIT spot as a positive, it will be a positive.

Fastback68
    Participant

IMO, the only way the NIT would be beneficial to this team is if they could win it all without the services of TJ Warren. Over the past month or so many posters stated that this team could only beat the crap teams but the NIT would be very important for us. Why? The opportunity to play more crap teams??? This team will need to learn how to play without Warren anyway. Might as well start now. I imagine TJ has a huge insurance policy right now for any career ending injuries. He has nothing else to prove. I wouldn’t risk a blown out knee for the NIT participation ribbon.

Fastback68
    Participant

NIT screw you guys, screw you guys!

Wulfpack
    Participant

As the now happy author of this thread, I am happy to say, See ya!

elvislives
    Participant

Irrelevant! Thank you tiny infant baby Jesus!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.