NCAA Swimming Championships

Home Forums StateFans Baseball & Other Sports NCAA Swimming Championships

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Manu Ginobili
    Participant

I know this will probably get lost with all the March Madness, NBA draft, and baseball season, but just wanted to remind everyone that this week the reigning ACC champions, our beloved Wolfpack, is at Georgia Tech competing in the men’s swimming NCAAs. Last week the girls had a top ten finish, which was unheard of a few years back.

You can expect to see another top ten finish this week with the men’s team, possibly a top three finish, which is a huge deal. Just earlier tonight the NC State 800 relay finished second, just behind powerhouse Texas. Florida rounded up the top three, and all of them beat the previous US Open record.

I will update this post during the rest of the week, but feel free to add any information as well. Go Pack!

44rules
    Participant

Please post it. It’s a great way for us to keep up with all Wolfpack sports.

Communism is not love. Communism is a hammer which we use to crush the enemy. Mao Zedong

Manu Ginobili
    Participant

At the end of the second day of the NCAAs, State stands at fourth place, just 5 points behind California. Texas sits at the top, and it seems that they could just get the trophy tonight, they are just too strong.

The Pack started with a second place in the 200 free relay, behind, you guessed it, Texas. Sophomore Ryan Held put a monster anchor leg at 18:28, but Texas prevailed. In the 500 free, State got a 7th and 15th place, with Anton Ipsen and Adam Linker, respectively. Christian Mccurdy scored a couple of points for State in the 200 IM, placing 15th. In the 50 free, Simonas Bilis placed second with 18.84, miles behind Caeleb Dressel from Florida who set a new American record with 18.20 (remember that name this Summer in the Olympics). Ryan Held (7th) and Andreas Schiellerup (15th) also scored for the Pack in the 50 free. In the last race of the night, 400 IM relay, State placed 8th in the final.

Good chance for State to score some points tomorrow in the 200 free and 200 IM relay. Go Pack!

MrPlywood
    Participant

Thanks for the update!

choppack1
    Participant

Thanks Manu – 18 seconds for 50 m free is insane…is this televised anywhere?

Manu Ginobili
    Participant

^ Yes choppack, espn3 is showing the finals tonight and tomorrow. Starts at 6.

This Dressel kid is insane. He has an amazing underwater dolphin kick, which is not very common in the 50 free. That obviously helps him in the 25y pool, but I’d like to see how that translates to the 50m pool this summer, which doesn’t have any turns. I still expect him to medal in Rio, he couldn’t be slower than 21.50.

choppack1
    Participant

Thanks Manu – I think swimming actually makes for great television.

There’s a guy who swims at my local y who medaled in the 96 Olympics (from Cuba) – fun watching those guys swim.

Manu Ginobili
    Participant

The Wolfpack closed the meet in big way, winning their first relay ever! They took the 400 free, only 0.04 seconds ahead of Texas. It was the first and only win for the Pack in this NCAAs, but it was an overall great performance, finishing 4th in the final standings, the best finish ever (there was a 5th place in the 50s).

Senior Simonas Bilis earned a second place in the 100 free, with 41.18, the fifth best time ever. Sophomore Ryan Held placed 4th in the same race. Earlier in the day, Anton Ipsen finished 5th in the mile, and Adam Linker finished 16th, giving another point to the Pack. Hennessey Stuart earned a third place in the 200 back, and Christian Mccurdy a fifth place in the 200 fly.

For those following this thread, I’m sorry I couldn’t update Friday night (soccer commitments), but Wolfpack had another third place finish with Simonas Bilis in the 200 free, and also had Ryan Held and Soeren Dahl in the B Final, placing 9th and 10th. Hennessey Stuart and Andreas Shiellerup finished 7th and 15th in the 100 back. The final race on Friday had NC State finish 10th in the 200 medley relay.

The Pack has shown tremendous improvement in the last five years with coach Braden Holloway, in what I think was the best DY hire. Not only has NC State regained ACC dominance, but they became a major program in the country. Go Pack!

Pack78
    Participant

Noticed that we had several false-start DQ’s during the meet from possible point-scorers…might have caught UF for third otherwise with the strong finish…great job by the squad.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.