NCAA Sanctions Syracuse

Home Forums StateFans Basketball NCAA Sanctions Syracuse

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    VaWolf82
    Keymaster

The NCAA on Friday suspended Syracuse basketball coach Jim Boeheim for nine ACC games, took away 12 scholarships [3/year] and ordered that 108 wins be vacated as a result of a multiyear investigation into the university’s athletic programs.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/12432471/ncaa-suspends-jim-boeheim-nine-games-cuts-syracuse-orange-scholarships

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

This looks very, very bad for UNC.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

Great title, but not much else:

Boeheim’s arrogance catches up to him; Syracuse, ACC pay price

http://jeffschultz.blog.ajc.com/2015/03/06/boeheims-arrogance-catches-up-to-him-syracuse-acc-pay-price/

I don’t see how this negatively affects the “ACC”.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

But the biggest issue for Syracuse is the lost scholarships. With the four-year period beginning in 2016-17 since the school has already signed four players for next season (pushing the number of scholarships to 13), the program will lose three scholarships in each of those four seasons. Who moves on remains to be seen, but this will have a significant impact on the program and its depth moving forward.

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/03/06/ncaa-sanctions-for-syracuse-include-12-lost-scholarships-nine-game-suspension-for-head-coach-jim-boeheim/

wufpup76
    Keymaster

I linked it in the open thread, but this deserves its own entry.

WolftownVA81
    Participant

Based on this, UNC should expect the death penalty. Unless, in the NCAAs eyes, drug use is not to be tolerated “From 2001 to early 2009, the school did not follow its own written policies and procedures for students who tested positive for banned substances, the NCAA found.” while academic fraud and denying over 1,000 student athletes an education is not so bad.

WolftownVA81
    Participant

We could use a backup point guard. Wonder if Cuse has any to spare in their incoming class.

PackerInRussia
    Participant

From the USA Today article:

The committee also has imposed financial penalties, imposed recruiting restrictions for two years and sanctioned the school with five years of probation because of 10 self-reported violations

That’s the big difference between this case and UNC. Syracuse tried to be proactive and they’re getting hammered. It’ll be interesting to see if trying to be proactive gets you in more trouble than delaying and denying.

WolftownVA81
    Participant

Here are the academic issues cited:
    From 2005 through 2007, a part-time tutor and three football students violated ethical conduct rules by engaging in academic misconduct. The tutor certified that the students completed the required number of hours for an internship and gave the professor information about the type of activities performed by the students when he had limited knowledge of activities completed. The students received academic credit for misrepresented work.

In January 2012, the director of basketball operations and a men’s basketball receptionist violated ethical conduct rules when working to restore the eligibility of a men’s basketball student. The two staff members completed coursework for the student after academics and athletics staff met to discuss potential options for the academically ineligible student. The improper academic assistance occurred in 2012 when the school was under investigation for other potential violations and after the NCAA denied an eligibility wavier for the student.

In its decision, the committee specifically addressed its concern about academic integrity.

“Improper institutional involvement and influence in a student’s academic work in order to gain or maintain eligibility is a violation of NCAA rules and a violation of the most fundamental core values of the NCAA and higher education,” the committee wrote. “The behavior in this case, which placed the desire to achieve success on the basketball court over academic integrity, demonstrated clearly misplaced institutional priorities.”
    From 2010 through 2012, a support services mentor, who would later become the receptionist involved in the 2012 academic misconduct, and a support services tutor provided impermissible academic assistance to three men’s basketball students. The mentor and tutor made revisions, created or wrote assignments for the basketball students. Although the school determined academic misconduct did not occur, the panel noted revising or writing academic coursework for students was not a part of, or the intent of, the student-athlete support services provided by the school and exceeded the type of support generally available through the program. In January, the Division I Legislative Council determined that schools have the authority to determine whether academic misconduct occurred, however, traditional extra benefit rules still apply.

Base on this, I would guess the NCAA is signaling UNC that their academic misconduct will not be overlooked entirely. Watch now for some minor self imposed action by UNC to try and avoid the hammer that is coming.

Deacon Blues
    Participant

From Espin article:

“Improper institutional involvement and influence in a student’s academic work in order to gain or maintain eligibility is a violation of NCAA rules and a violation of the most fundamental core values of the NCAA and higher education,” the NCAA’s Committee on Infractions wrote in its decision. “The behavior in this case, which placed the desire to achieve success on the basketball court over academic integrity, demonstrated clearly misplaced institutional priorities.”

ncsu_kappa
    Participant

2 things I can’t believe
    * This all started right after Carmelo and his national title at SU but good for them
    * UNC is so untouchable that they feel empowered enough to complain about being billed $27,000 for repairs need for an opponents locker room their team destroyed.

1 thing that I pray for
    * The reckoning in line with what the pack did and our punishment that be handed over to the cheats in Chapel Hill. There actions were exponentially worse than ours so please lets see a punishment that is exponentially worse than ours.

44rules
    Participant

Wow. To do this to Syracuse, they must have been really mad at UNC. Roy can rest easy now.

Communism is not love. Communism is a hammer which we use to crush the enemy. Mao Zedong

Deacon Blues
    Participant

Wolftown beat me to it, scrub mine please.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

I linked it in the open thread, but this deserves its own entry.

I started it after lunch and before I read your open thread. But it will be good to have a separate thread to archive any juicy quotes from the opinion pieces that are sure to follow.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Amazing. Wonder if this is the beginning of the end for Boeheim (or just the end).

MrPlywood
    Participant

Wow. To do this to Syracuse, they must have been really mad at UNC. Roy can rest easy now.

It really is mind-boggling isn’t it? There’s so much smoke at the Hole you’d think they’d all just have expired from inhalation by now. Maybe that’s what the NCAA is waiting for…

BJD95
    Keymaster

The NCAA does whatever it wants. It wants to ignore U*NC. In fact, this helps the Swoffy Cabal’s version of the ACC anyway, right? It’s only about the Blues.

ILPackfan
    Participant

You’d think this wouldn’t bode well for the folks in Chapel Hill. Based on the NCAA report, the academic fraud at Syracuse doesn’t seem to have been anywhere near as institutionalized as the alleged operations at UNC. That said, I’ll believe a hammer’s coming down when it actually strikes. And based on the timeline in this past investigation, we can probably expect that finding sometime in, oh, 2023.

Rick
    Keymaster

Great move by Swof to bring them into the ACC. Their coach is nearing the end of his shelf life, they have a crap football program and now we find out they are cheaters. If I were Syracuse I would sue the NCAA for the double standard they have shown with UNC.
    What would happen if Syracuse just refuses to abide by the ruling and uses UNC as the reason?

Alpha Wolf
    Keymaster

What would happen if Syracuse just refuses to abide by the ruling and uses UNC as the reason?

That’s a nice thought but they could absolutely forget getting into the NCAA Tournament. What committee would invite them while they were flouting that very organization?

UNC is going to get off Scot-free, and we all need to finally get our heads around that.

wufpup76
    Keymaster

Until proven otherwise, we’re all mere peasants howling at the moon while waiting for the elite to be penalized.

The Cheats get to continue profiting while saying “Let them eat cake”.

(Yes, I am aware that this saying was most likely not stated by Marie Antoinette)

Alpha Wolf
    Keymaster

Marie Antoinette in reality and UNC have one big thing in common: both met their accusers with silence.

Antoinette lost her head, while UNC runs Kickstarters to make films to tell us “the real truth” though.

MrPlywood
    Participant

http://deadspin.com/syracuses-academic-fraud-skipped-the-middleman-1689890034

[T]he director of basketball operations and student-athlete support services employees accessed and sent emails from student-athletes’ accounts and corresponded directly with professors. Numerous emails included attached academic coursework, which was necessary to maintain the required grades for student-athletes to remain eligible. Recipients of the emails included student-athletes and the director of basketball operations. There is no indication that the director of basketball operations questioned or reported concerns. To the contrary, the email and related data suggest the common practice of the director of basketball operations monitoring, identifying and then remedying academic concerns through email correspondence, which purportedly was being sent directly by the student-athletes to their professors.

Adventuroo
    Participant

Are you telling me that Cuse was MORE blatant than Dean’s Scheme….(V said….I have a DREAM….Dean said….I have a SCHEME)?

Next up….when do Cuse play it LAST game this season and against WHOM?

The scalpers at the PNC are smiling that SMILE.

If ever that was motivation for complete and utter annihilation……tomorrow….I don’t know.

We need our own Ref’s and Security Guards. We need to put a call for one of Tonya Harding’s “special agents”

SHEESH….

I will believe that UNC penalty….AFTER it is issued.

I also wonder about the TIMING of this announcement. It could have easily been made on Monday…..

Swoff lives…..

Texpack
    Participant

That’s a nice thought but they could absolutely forget getting into the NCAA Tournament. What committee would invite them while they were flouting that very organization?

UNC is going to get off Scot-free, and we all need to finally get our heads around that.

Absolutely correct on UNCCH. There is nothing in the Syracuse case that implies ANYTHING about what will happen to UNCCH. Syracuse wasn’t smart enough to get non athletes involved. This created the special treatment situation and brought the hammer. The NCAA has created their excuse for not punishing UNCCH and they will stand by it. UNCCH can only be punished by the BOT

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 47 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.