NC State hires football head coach in waiting…

Home Forums StateFans Football NC State hires football head coach in waiting…

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 55 total)
  • Author
    pakfanistan
    Participant

Ted Roof!

http://gopack.com/news/2017/12/22/roof-joins-wolfpack-football-staff.asp

With this hire, the roof becomes the floor…

Raise the roof!

YogiNC
    Participant

Your link doesn’t work

Roof Joins Pack

This could be a really good hire. He’s a great recruiter and a darned great DC.

Smarter than the average bear

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

With this hire, the roof becomes the floor…

Check that Johnny…
    The ‘ROOF’ is the ceiling…

Now, lemme explain my first reactions to this…

1. It’s great news by all accounts…

2. The purpose of a ROOF is to keep rain, snow and cold out of your house…
    that’s not necessarily the same as “Taking you places you’ve never been…”.
    In football, generally that task falls on the Offensive side of the ball…

3. Championship Football, which we all aspire to… requires a ROOF and an Offense…

4. Regardless of all that… we can use the ‘help’ on D and in recruiting… Most anyways it goes…this should turn out good….
    OK! Got it?

And then, Paki, you might have jumped the line on that ‘Head Coach in Waiting’ thing…
    We shall see about that…

Finally…. HOW about some ‘help’ with the play-calling on Offense for Christmas, too ???
    POP!!!

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    tractor57
    Participant

I can’t find on the go pack site.

Greywolf
    Participant

I can’t find on the go pack site.

If this doesn’t do it

http://www.gopack.com/news/2017/12/22/roof-joins-wolfpack-football-staff.aspx?path=football

Try http://www.gopack.com find football, click on Archived Stories.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant
    ryebread
    Participant

Roof is a very good hire. I wonder if that means Hux may retire soon. I also wonder if this means we’re switching out of 4-2-5.

tractor57
    Participant

Thanks for the updated links. Typical press release. I wonder how Roof will be integrated.

YogiNC
    Participant

DD made comments about the 4-2-5 so I don’t think so. At any rate Roof IS a great defensive mind and the rankings of his teams proves that fact. I’m not sure but he may have no inspirations of returning to the HC title. For those who feel we needed help on the D side of the ball, Roof should fit that bill.

ryebread
    Participant

We need help on D and dDD would be well served to have a solid assistant at #2 who has been a head man but is not out shopping to be one again. It is a good fit.

What I do not see is how this helps us in Special teams. That area has to improve, and it is not just place kicking. This is the worst (and for the longest) that I ever remember in my lifetime at NC State.

TheCOWDOG

I have railed season long on the play of the safties.
    This is why Roof is here…(IMHO)

Greywolf
    Participant

What I do not see is how this helps us in Special teams. That area has to improve, and it is not just place kicking. This is the worst (and for the longest) that I ever remember in my lifetime at NC State.

True enough we lost more games due to coverage issues than place kicking issues. Special teams roster was hit hard with losses of Riley Nicholson, Brock Miller, James Valdez and Freddie Phillips. We were hard hit offensively when we lost Hines due to injury and the first 2 games Will Richardson was suspended. Defensively we were hard hit when Stevens was out 4 games.

Think about losing 4 key players on our coverage teams. We filled in with some position players who were on coverage teams before they were on the 2 deep but even the best if he is out of position can’t make a play if he screws up an assignment.

Coaching structures are changing. The Quality Control coaches do a lot what coaches had to do in the “old days.” They chart plays, find tendencies and create “game plans” among other things. The problem may not be a coaching issue but a Quality Control coach issue.

There may or may not be a change in our Special Teams Quality Control coach. If so it will not be a public announcement. (BTW The uncontrolled number of Quality Control coaches is a place where the rich schools can gain advantages. Recruiting staff is another. There are others such as analytic people on staff.)

For football fans who are interested in the qualifications of our QC staff, go to gopack.com/football and click on staff.

Greywolf
    Participant

I have railed season long on the play of the safties.
    This is why Roof is here…(IMHO)

Mr. DOG, That is so true.

I expect we will get far more benefit from Roof being here than just improving our safety’s play. We’ve seen the PR announcement which only touches the surface.

I see where Roof will be coaching the LB’s as well. IMO there is an area that needed a coaching upgrade. I also don’t under estimate the value of Doeren having another ex-head coach from the ACC to use as a sounding board and confidante.

ryebread
    Participant

Roof coaching LB and co-DC is the combo that suggests to me that Hux may be retiring. When you have two people in charge of the same thing, you really have no one in charge. I just don’t buy it. Makes more sense that we’d get Roof on now (since he was clearly done at GT), Hux coaches the bowl, retires and then we hire someone to focus on special teams.

Grey: The Special teams issues are much bigger than four guys being out. If they had just happened this year I might be willing to go along with that, but they’re every season under DD. They’re bad and going to continue to cost us games. I was hoping we’d make a hard run at Beamer as a #2/Special teams coach. I thought after sitting out a couple of seasons, Beamer might be missing coaching and might like to get back in at a reduced role focusing on what he loved.

PackofMac
    Participant

Beamer coming to State to coach special teams is about the same as Coach K coming here after he retires to help with free throw percentages.

Greywolf
    Participant

When you have two people in charge of the same thing, you really have no one in charge.

Clemson has co-OC’s and managed to win a natty with “no one in charge.” The Clemson set-up has one OC working with the passing game and one with the run game.

IMO At this point it is fruitless try to understand how the Wolfpack coaching is structured based on titles. At best we know that Hux and Roof will be working together to coordinate the defense. Roof is not a noted recruiter. Hux is an excellent recruiter. Word on the street has it that Payton Wilson came because of Hux.

The Special teams issues… every season under DD. They’re bad and going to continue to cost us games.

Rye, Ever since Doeren became HC, everything about Wolfpack football is or was bad and has cost us games. Doeren’s clock management and TO management cost us games. Half-time adjustments and lousy 3rd quarter play cost us games. Hux cost us games. Red zone offense and head scratching play calls cost us games. The DB’s cost us games, the LB’s cost us games. A few years ago the WR’s and OL cost us games. Now it’s the special teams that cost us games. True enough our miserable kicking has, if not cost us games, has made it difficult to win. But nobody beats the Pack according to posters on this site, we beat ourselves by blatantly poor coaching that cost us games.

“Why can’t we kick it out of the end zone instead of to the 5?” To our credit or detriment we are being aggressive with our KO coverage strategy. The high kick-off intended to fall between the 5 yard and goal line is intentional. The strategy is to stop the return short of the 20. We have both succeeded and failed — failed mostly due to faulty kicking. Had a couple of holding calls not been ignored instead of a TD, SoCar would have started our game from just past the 15 yard line. Would great coaching have had the ref make the call?

No doubt special team play can be improved and IMO will be improved in 2018 because of the athletes available for special teams. Bringing in the best coach in the business would not have solved our special team issues. The best basketball coach in the world could not make a group of mediocre athletes, relevant in our conference much less nationally relevant.

Our team personnel, offense and defense, has experienced an increase in athletic ability and talent. Frank Beamer couldn’t have taken the the talent available and turned it into a top-performing group of special teams. When pro teams need upgrades to special teams, they trade for talent, not hire another coach. Hiring Frank Beamer will not raise the athletic ability of our special teams.

The talent level at NC State has been increasing overall since Doeren ‘arrove’. Our special teams will not be a problem in 2018.

Greywolf
    Participant

Beamer coming to State to coach special teams is about the same as Coach K coming here after he retires to help with free throw percentages.

I didn’t say that, Rye. I had the thought but did’t say the words. I’m working on not thinking those thoughts now. 😉

ryebread
    Participant

Grey: DD still has mind boggling in game decisions, and many of the things you mention. With an op Ion to pick up an extra coach, I would have thought we’d have focused on the most obvious weakness, but maybe we did. The off-season is not over yet, so more moves may still be made.

What I would say on Beamer is that it absolutely was a pipe dream. I do find it ironic that some dreamers on this site would in turn scoff at an admitted one. What I would say though is that many times when people feel like they left a little too early, they come back for another run, at a lesser position and doing what they liked (and less of what a hey didn’t). I’m not sure if many are aware of this, but Beamer was dealing with cancer his last years at VT, but that has seemingly since cleared. Cancer can change one’s time table on certain decisions. I’ve seen it numerous times. It’s clear it isn’t happening and never was, but that doesn’t make it a bad idea and one worth inquiring about.

Greywolf
    Participant

Rye: I so wanted help with the LB’s that I read what wasn’t there. In the PR that was released on gopack.com only co-DC, safeties and nickels were listed as Roof’s coaching responsibilities. He is also Associate HC. When it all shakes out nobody knows what the actual assignments will be. DD changed his mind about something when he hired Roof. He may change it again.

While Doeren is responsible for everything to do with the team, he doesn’t make the “mind boggling” calls you and so many others blame him for. The calls may have been influenced by him during Drink’s first year, but last year he let Drink make his own calls (and mistakes.)
    Drink is up in the box. Des Kitchings, Assistant Head Coach for Offense is on the sidelines I believe.

Drink, along with his fellow offense coaches, will go over what worked and what didn’t work and refine the play calling and much more. BTW I wonder why Kitchings is never mentioned when mind-boggling play calling comes up. Because of these calls some of us advocate firing DD mid-season if not mid-game and replace him with… wait for it… Kitchings, Assistant Head Coach for Offense.

One of the many things most fans don’t know is we (the football staff) employ an analytic consultant. Maybe even have one on staff now. Some of the strange calls may be influenced by analytics. The “go for it or not” decisions are influenced by analytic. As far as calling plays fans think should be called, defenses are prepared for those calls. Notice the good teams seem to have a selection of what I would call semi-trick plays to select from.

I’ve said this before and I know I’m wasting my breath doing it again. Schemes make a difference but the real difference in upgrading special teams is done by upgrading personnel. The pros trade for upgrades in personnel to upgrade special teams, infrequently bringing in a new coach. A new special teams coach does not make the gunners faster or better tacklers, the return man faster or the kickers more accurate or skillful. It’s been said many times, it ain’t about the X’s and O’s, it’s about the Jimmies and Joes.

Some teams upgrade the special teams by using players who are starters on offense and defense. Our special teams will get better as we continue to recruit better. One of the best special teams players I ever saw play was Stephen Tulloch when he was a freshman. You knew you were watching a future star play.

There are a trade offs using starters on special teams: Starters risk injury and fewer players get to play. Fewer players playing can have an effect on recruiting. Doeren seems to be making the right decisions right now.

Beamer Ball wasn’t about correcting things that cost him games, it was about aggressively doing things that won games for him. I expect he had some of his best personnel on those special teams. Remember Terrence Holt blocking punts and Manny Lawson blocking kicks? Great personnel, not so much schemes.

Glad to hear Beamer’s cancer is clearing up.

Cheers for the holidays.

Grey

Greywolf
    Participant

Rye, Ever wonder why we have coaches come to us for jobs and so few leave for parallel jobs? Me too. What has Doeren done to create this? I’d say he has created and fostered a culture that is unique or semi-unique to NC State.

In addition to the long hanging fruit such as vision for the future, family atmosphere, and sensible working hours with time for family, I’d say he has structured his staff for participation in the decision making process. Every coach but the newest 2, Dan Patrick and Aaron Henry have title/responsibilities besides position coaching.

I’ve worked places where I had a job to do and that’s all and I’ve worked places where I was a part of building a business. Not hard to figure which was more rewarding. Our coaches share building a team. It must be vary hard to give Drink free rein when things do go so well but he does.

Our coaches seem to be in it for the long haul — Doeren’s best job of retaining recruits since he’s been here IMO.

About this Co-coordinator thing, Roof seems not to be a great recruiter and Hux is. The titles are shared but the responsibilities are divided. Maybe, if not hopefully, Roof will have a bigger part of what we know as DC and Hux will take on other responsibilities such as being in contact with defensive recruits with Des doing his thing with the offense.

I know the expanded time allowed for recruiting has been a concern for DD. Vacation time with families is reduce, etc. Maybe hiring Roof is part of a solution to this perceived problem.

Colleges and recruiters are making contact with sophomores and freshmen now. The earlier the contact, the better relationship you can establish. We know many kids sign with school because of the position coach or recruiting coach. Keeping the coordinator title makes sense in this context. More prestige in being recruited by the co-DC than the ex-DC. 😉

Hux may not be the very best tactical DC, but few in coaching more well thought of as a person or better liked that Hux. That’s important in establishing relationships with HS coaches. The more I think about this, the better I like it.

Just thinking out loud.

YogiNC
    Participant

one thing I’d add Grey, Roof’s defenses have consistently ranked very high both in conference and nationwide. When you’re talking to a potential recruit it means a lot if that kid knows he’ll be playing on a defense that is recognized to be one of the best. I have no doubt that was probably one of the reasons Chubb decided to come back for his senior year, and now that will pay off for him on draft day, and paycheck day.

freshmanin83
    Participant

Yogi did you mean Hux?

Greywolf
    Participant

Yogi did you mean Hux?

83, I had to read Yogi’s post twice and then interpret it. My conclusion? He got into the eggnog a little early today. 😉

Hux’s defenses haven’t been consistently ranked very high. (Jimmies and Joes have something to do with that IMO)

Roof’s defenses are a mixed bag. Before GT his defenses were very good. Having Roof be a co-DC will help in recruiting is what I believe and I think what Yogi was saying.

Happy and prosperous holidays to you both.

Grey

YogiNC
    Participant

Nope, check out how Roof’s defenses have been ranked over the years. He was DC for Auburn when they won the NC. GT has been consistently ranked high on the defensive side under Roof.

Greywolf
    Participant

Nope, check out how Roof’s defenses have been ranked over the years. He was DC for Auburn when they won the NC. GT has been consistently ranked high on the defensive side under Roof.

Yogi, Here is some counter information in the AJ-C posted by Mark Bradley.

“If we go by Brian Fremeau’s defensive efficiency rankings on Football Outsiders, here’s where his men ranked over his five seasons under Johnson – 77th, 70th, 62nd, 94th and 64th.”

“Of the past 10 titlists, nine ranked in the top 10 in defensive efficiency; in 2010, Auburn ranked 34th.

http://www.myajc.com/blog/mark-brad…ling-wasn-high-enough/bIDuLslHLbtLYWPfXWQREJ/

Because of the “Jimmies and Joes” factor we will never know the relevance of these stats. With what he had to work Roof may have been doing as well as any DC could have done. Personally, I think he fits in with us and will bust his butt proving he IS a quality DC. He has the experience to bring to the party. And IIRC Wake Forest ran an offense similar to GT. Roof’s knowledge will be invaluable there.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 55 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.