NC State Football By The Numbers – Post UNCheat Beatdown Edition

Home Forums All StateFansNation NC State Football By The Numbers – Post UNCheat Beatdown Edition

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 61 total)
  • Author
    WV Wolf
    Keymaster

Here are the stats and national rankings after the Wolfpack opened up a can in Kenan Stadium. Before the stats, the latest on the National and ACC cha
    [See the full post at: NC State Football By The Numbers – Post UNCheat Beatdown Edition]

wufpup76
    Keymaster

Thanks a lot for the numbers …

As for this past Saturday, still feeling like this:

choppack1
    Participant

Thuney may be our MVP. Our offense was much better when he was on the field.

Greywolf
    Participant

Our OL coach has gotta be one of the best. Our center, who had taken every snap of the season, goes out in the first quarter and a true freshman guard moves over to center and the offense doesn’t miss a beat. Have to admit we looked pretty good for a mediocre offense. Must have been getting rid of the Wildcat.

No way it will happen but I’d love to play Duke to see how our in-over-his-head coach does against Dukes COY.

Ya have to wonder how our O will look in 2015 with Jacoby free to run. Got a good feeling about our D as well.

pakfanistan
    Participant

I hope the “in-over-his-head” quips never stop.

Greywolf
    Participant

I hope the “in-over-his-head” quips never stop.

Pak, I think he was relatively new to being a head coach and as such made some mistakes in his role as head coach. That’s different from being in over his head.

I think what we all failed to see is that his assistants were not new and were not “in-over-their-heads” in performing their duties. I only hope and pray we can keep this staff around for a long time. Staff continuity is important.

Is there a team in the ACC that has progressed the way this team has? Frankly, I’m amazed the level of play of both our offense and our defense considering where they started from.

inhoc…
    Participant

Our center, who had taken every snap of the season, goes out in the first quarter and a true freshman guard moves over to center and the offense doesn’t miss a beat.

To be fair, the game plan for the heels was very straight forward and simple which is very conducive for an inexperienced guy to come in and thrive against a very weak D front. Lots of under center and simple run schemes. Thankfully though, he absolutely made the most of it and did very well.

This performance definitely raises the question “where the heck has this been all season?!” as we’ve seen JB under pressure a lot(and I do think the explanation IN PART is this was a very different game plan than the previous games). I remember the O line being touted as a strength of the team going into the year. Hopefully they are starting to gel and come back stronger next year! It’s always good when you have a guy go down and someone can come replace him without missing a beat.

Texpack
    Participant

We were middle of the pack on offense. Bottom end on defense, but we made up for that by taking care of the ball and not committing penalties.

State 35 UNC-CHeat 7

ryebread
    Participant

graywolf: I love your excitement and all, but I am not so sure that we improved so drastically as much as we hit the easy part of the schedule. If you pair WF’s defense with UNC’s offense and special teams, then you might have actually had a legitimate Power 5 conference team. That pairing probably would have beaten us, like anyone else with a pulse did all year.

I’m afraid that our fans are primed for a big let down if we draw anyone worth a flip in a bowl. I’m really hoping we bowl “down” against a team we can look good against. We’ll then have some momentum going into next year.

I can’t tell if your point about the Wildcat was meant in jest. I personally believe we have looked way better schematically on offense since ditching that garbage. We’re at least more balanced from a pre-snap perspective and harder to get a read on with respect to intent. That Wildcat was atrocious and was a wasted down at best.

Primewolf
    Participant

That was quite a performance Saturday. I like the way recruiting is going. Not convinced these coaches are even middling at this point. Let see if we beat a
    decent team over the next before we saint this mediocre group.

choppack1
    Participant

We did lots of things good this year…and some things really bad. The to’s and kick return is very encouraging as this indicates a team that values the ball…especially with such youth (though it should be pointed out we weren’t that you at rb or qb.)

As for wildcat – I didn’t mind it. It was usually good for positive yards. Not a good call on 2nd and long – but generally good for about 3. It will be very interesting to see how well and how consistent we are next year.

In 4 of last 5 games the d played well.

choppack1
    Participant

And ecu just lost on a hail Mary.

TheCOWDOG

With Thuney back, bolstering Crisp on the left…wait. Time f’n out.

“I” completely forgot that the both of them were gone by half-time of the ‘Cuse game, last year. Crisp was gone after game two.

Now…Adams is the kid who changed eveything from Right to Left, and inbetween.

tjfoose1
    Participant

If you pair WF’s defense with UNC’s offense and special teams, then you might have actually had a legitimate Power 5 conference team. That pairing probably would have beaten us, like anyone else with a pulse did all year.

Remind me. How did State’s offense fair against WF’s defense? How did u*nc’s offense fair against State’s D?

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Our OL coach has gotta be one of the best.

(or just the best we’ve had in a very long time… )

When your Number One Offensive Play is called “HEAVY LEFT”…
    and your “opponent” knows it…
    and you can run that three time in a row without being stopped…

You Must Be Playing REAL FOOTBALL !!

Thornton (most of the time) behind Crisp …

You GOTTa love it…

’cause when you playing REAL FOOTBALL and winning…
    nobody gets mentally fatigued….
    and the cluelesstrollswithnumbersintheirusernames don’t post stupidsh*t…

388 yards rushing is the most any visiting team has EVER ( all the way to 1892 ) scored against the HOLES in Chapel Hill…

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    Greywolf
    Participant

Rye, We’ve had some decent and respectful conversations and I hope you won’t be offended if I take issue with a few things.

graywolf: I love your excitement and all, but I am not so sure that we improved so drastically as much as we hit the easy part of the schedule. If you pair WF’s defense with UNC’s offense and special teams, then you might have actually had a legitimate Power 5 conference team. That pairing probably would have beaten us, like anyone else with a pulse did all year.

First, what foose said. Second, FSU, Clemson, Louisville and GT are a bit more than teams with a pulse. It could be argued that BC was just another team with a pulse but they did beat USC and do have one of the better running QBs in the country, a very senior OL and a very good coach.

I don’t know if you were just trying to make a point but you are way off the mark calling FSU, Clemson, Louisville and GT teams with a pulse. We got spanked pretty good by CU and GT but not FSU and L’ville. Pure speculation but we likely would have taken L’ville had we run Jacoby like we did vs. EweNC. Why didn’t we? Again pure speculation but I don’t think Doeren wanted the Holes to know about that little wrinkle. IOW he traded an L for a W over the Holes. The man is one of us. He don’t like the Holes anymore than we do.

I’m really hoping we bowl “down” against a team we can look good against.

You may feel that way but if our team and coaches feel that way, I’m outta here. We will never amount to a damn thing. But not to worry. Doeren is not that kind of man. And we likely will not get a top 25 team like any of the above mentioned FSU, Clemson, Louisville and GT.

harder to get a read on with respect to intent.

When a team lines up on the 2 yard line with 2 tight ends, an H back, a FB, a RB and a QB under center, it’s not hard to get a read on intent either.

That Wildcat was atrocious and was a wasted down at best.

Was it any more wasted than the plunges we tried with Shad when we were at the 2 yard line? My comment was somewhat in jest for the reasons below. When we ran it with Shirreff we picked up 3, 4 and 5 yards nearly every time. It wasn’t working as well with the personnel we have in 2014 and we stopped using it. It wasn’t worth the practice time to correct it. Prepare yourself for more frustration as we will likely see it again in 2015. It does give the opps something else to prepare for and it is a +1 set up.

tractor57
    Participant

We have seen progress year 2 over year 1. To me it has become even more obvious how much ground we had to make up. TOB did some good things cleaning up the mess Chuck left but he also has his issues – speaking of it was nice to see Taylor Gentry’s number in the limelight. Is Coach D the answer? Time will tell but to this point I like the director of the program.

Greywolf
    Participant

(or just the best we’ve had in a very long time… )

My apologies to Robbie Caldwell and Larry Bechtal. For you Young’uns Bechtal coached for Holtz and eventually in the pros. I may have Caldwell mixed up with someone else who coached OL for Earl Edwards.

Thanks Bill for remembering some of the guys from the most successful football ever played at State.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

^I don’t remember, if I ever knew, who coached the OL anchored by Bill Yoast and Rick Drueshel… but Mr. Dog does…
    …arguably the ‘best OL’ ever with the possible exception of ’67…

As to “which Bowl”…
    There is only one correct answer to that question…

To be the BEST, you GOTTa play the BEST…
    and then after you’ve played the BEST for a while…
    you BEAT the BEST…

Greywolf
    Participant

I don’t remember, if I ever knew, who coached the OL anchored by Bill Yoast and Rick

Yoest 70-73. Earl in ’70. Al Michaels ’71 and Holtz (Bechtal) 72 and 73. The best coaching the best!

In the days when you could attend practice I remember watching Bechtal on Friday line up his OL’s and go through the play book, play by play, defense by defense with the line taking their first step as he called out the defensive alignments. You could see anybody who took the wrong first step. What an efficient way to check to see if the line knew it’s assignments. Not many took a misstep and those who did heard about it. Taking the correct first step is half the success in blocking a play.

ryebread
    Participant

I was probably a little over the top on the “teams with a pulse” and the combined WF/UNC bit. I think it’s from some threads on another site about people actually thinking we’re ready to take on Georgia in the Belk Bowl. We’ll get our rears handed to us by Georgia, like we did against GT and Clemson (and really FSU after the first quarter). That was more my point.

I view Louisville and BC as fringe top 25 teams. We lost to them as well, but were more competitive. That’s kind of why I want us to bowl against a fringe top 25 team, which is my definition of “bowling down.” I’m comparing that with the Belk Bowl/Georgia situation. I’m not saying we need to play S. Alabama.

I’m seeing the Sun Bowl against Utah as a prediction from many. That will be a very tough game. My biggest concern about that would be whether the coaches can get the team ready to play against an opponent they know so little about. Utah has historically had some good squads, and they’re on the rise in the Pac12. Much better teams than our current one have lost to them in bowls.

As for the Wildcat, we’re going to have to agree to disagree. When you line up in a formation that puts the ball into the hands of a dual threat, then you have many more options than you do if you line up in a formation whose only option is to put the ball into the hands of a RB. There’s a reason that the old Veer style is dead. There’s also a reason that lining up in that packed formation you mention resulted in 3 TD passes against UNC. They were playing the run, and we threw. That’s not required against the Wildcat because 90% of the time it is a run.

I’m sure you’re right though. We’ll continue to see it next season. Hopefully like this one, when it doesn’t work, we will ditch it.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

… and Greywolf… it did not “hurt” one bit… that those Coaches and OLmen had the “best stable of thoroughbreds” in the backfield I’ve ever seen at NCState …

You know you don’t mind busting your A%% when you GOTT total confidence in the guys you’re busting your A$$ for…

Success breeds Success.

Fastback68
    Participant

7-5 in year 2 with a yearend —whipping of UNX. Does this mean there won’t be any more Give DD a Chance threads? There were 4 or 5 threads along those lines last year that were started by well intentioned individuals and the vast majority of posters were positive. However, the existence of those threads created a level of rage deep in my soul. Right or wrong, I assumed the author was (1) overreacting to a handful of dimwits or (2) there really was a majority groundswell of alumni calling for DD’s head. The latter lending credence to the media’s assertion that the NC State fan base is FUBAR and thus the source of my ire. Again, I calmed down after reading so many poster’s comments because there are so many level headed individuals among us.

I went ahead and bought 4 Belk Bowl tickets, not because I am super fan, but because we now have an Irish grad in the family. So we should use the tickets one way or another. Second tier, lower level seating in the 300 sections have dried up considerably since Monday especially the aisle seats for pea bladders like myself.

TheCOWDOG

Larry Beightol, boys.

BEIGHTOL. Pride of Catawba.

Coach Beck was one whale of an OL guru. 20+ years in the NFL.

Greywolf
    Participant

Larry Beightol, boys.
    BEIGHTOL. Pride of Catawba.
    Coach Beck was one whale of an OL guru. 20+ years in the NFL.

Alright already. So I was using the phonetic spelling. Don’t I get any points, MR. DOG? 😉

DOG, Do you remember who the OL coach was with Edwards?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 61 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.