NC State Football By The Numbers – Post ODU Edition

Home Forums All StateFansNation NC State Football By The Numbers – Post ODU Edition

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 72 total)
  • Author
    WV Wolf
    Keymaster

Here are the stats and national rankings after the latest come from behind victory against ODU Team Stats – ACC & National Rank in Parentheses Offense
    [See the full post at: NC State Football By The Numbers – Post ODU Edition]

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

National Rankings

Scoring Defense: 87
    Total Defense: 102
    Rushing Defense: 104
    Passing Defense: 88

These miserable stats will only get worse as State plays better teams. As BJD has said since day 1, enjoy the wins because there aren’t going to be many.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

WV, where do you get your stats from? It looks like the NCAA has redone their stats for this year and severely screwed up the usefulness in the process.

ncsu1987
    Participant

enjoy the wins because there aren’t going to be many.

Unfortunately, I think this is true. Defensive improvement is there from wk1 to wk2, but man, it’s slow in coming. We may win an unexpected one on a really good offensive day in shootout fashion, but looks to be a long year.

BUT, I will enjoy watching the offense this year!

WV Wolf
    Keymaster

WV, where do you get your stats from? It looks like the NCAA has redone their stats for this year and severely screwed up the usefulness in the process.

I get them from stats.ncaa.org

http://stats.ncaa.org/team/index/11980?org_id=490&sport_year_ctl_id=11980

Wulfpack
    Participant

These defensive stats, against very marginal competition, are abysmal. Clemson, FSU and Lville will likely put up 60 on us.

PapaJohn
    Participant

Wow, well there’s a harsh slap in the face. Ugly numbers.
    I predicted six wins based on 4 weak OOC and 2 weak ACC teams. Didn’t anticipate we would be this bad.

TheCOWDOG

I’m sticking to my guns. I said that we wouldn’t know the true nature of the D until….well, this weekend. Sorta came up quickly.

Sh#t. If that front doesn’t get it in gear Sat, I’m gonna come up with an empty holster.

Look for a little less vanilla,and maybe some things to get Norman involved. Have you guys noticed that both GSU, and ODU stayed away from him?

rtpack24
    Participant

WV Wolf fantastic job supplying the numbers. It will be interesting how we perform this weekend. Do you ever go to Vegas?

the_phisherman
    Participant

Did anyone else notice that the snaps on our missed field goal attempts have all been low? I think this is contributing to smooth operators difficulties so far.

PackerInRussia
    Participant

Nice rushing averages. Would be great to see those hold up. Also nice to see only one turnover and no fumbles. I also noticed the few amount of penalties and have enjoyed that as well. Now, if they could just figure out how to not let other teams rumble down the field out of the backfield. For now, in Cowdog I’ll trust. What have I got to lose.

ryebread
    Participant

The offense, lack of penalties and lack of turnovers have been better than I could have expected and drastically improved. The defense and FG kicking has been worse.

I expect that both will normalize. Our defense will improve, but so will opposing defenses. Some of the stuff that has worked on offense (e.g. The Wildcat) isn’t going to work against good defenses. At the same time, outside of FSU, Louisville and UNC, I expect the other offenses to really be no better than what we have faced. Yes those were lower tier teams, but they were both lower tier teams that were really good at what they did.

I think there is enough in the tank to get to 6-6 or 7-5 with the schedule. We were a competent QB away from that last year.

Of course, the D (and DL play) may not improve. If so, my defense of Hux and his defenses may look questionable.

Greywolf
    Participant

Did anyone else notice that the snaps on our missed field goal attempts have all been low? I think this is contributing to smooth operators difficulties so far.

Good observation. That could cause hesitation and ultimately push the kick off to the right. Very correctible.

Some of the stuff that has worked on offense (e.g. The Wildcat) isn’t going to work against good defenses.

Nothing is going to work against real good defenses but don’t sell this Wolf, as I believe it’s called, short.
    Having Dayes or Thornton in jet sweep motion with the other handling the ball puts pressures on defenses that Sherriff didn’t cause. The defense having to honor the jet opens holes that weren’t there.

Hell, I like ANYTHING that puts Thornton and Dayes in the same backfield. That’s smart football. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Nichols in on that play in the future. Already Samuels is positioned to run the jet. What did I expect. DD did say we were going to run the football. IMNSHO the spread is the best running formation going. You have to honor the pass and the D is spread out.

I also think blocking ability is going to effect playing time for WRs. WR who can effectively block on the edge will play.

tjfoose1
    Participant

…against very marginal competition…

I’d argue that while the programs may be ‘marginal’, the offenses certainly are not. I think they’ll prove me right as the season plays out.

Also, I think facing two such diametrically opposed offenses in the first two games, while not good for esthetics, will pay dividends as the season progresses.

But if the front 4 plays like it did last week, forget it. All bets are off. We beat Presbyterian n and that’s it.

tjfoose1
    Participant

Per the long snaps, yep. The holder bailed out the snapper several times. Very unusual though. The snapper is solid. Almost always dead on. Wouldn’t be surprised to hear he had something physical going on per injury or illness.

BrickyardMayhem
    Participant

As I said in an earlier post, the Defense has no speed. When QBs and RBs can beat you around the corners with ease, it will be a long day. Add that along with the inability to tackle and I believe it justifies the numbers. I was hoping that we would attempt to bring pressure last week with some stunting or all-out blitzes to create more an element of surprise but I could see that also backfiring

13OT
    Participant

The game Saturday will tell us more about this season than the first two games and the next one combined.

It is almost imperative that this team and coaching staff win a road game, now.

94wolfpack
    Participant

Maybe I don’t understand the stats or this is not including the ODU game.. but how can 4th down percentage for the D be:
    4th Down Pct Defense: 0.0% (1,1)

ODU converted several 4th downs.

PackFamily
    Participant

Stats are fun.. here are two that have been puzzling:

After beating Gardner-Webb in our third game of 2009, we had at that point the # 1 defense in the country. We went 3-6 after that.

We had similarly high defensive rankings early last season. We saw how that turned out.

tjfoose1
    Participant

My fav stat thus far, 2-0.

Greywolf
    Participant

^
    Me too.

“I was hoping that we would attempt to bring pressure last week with some stunting or all-out blitzes to create more an element of surprise but I could see that also backfiring”

@BrickyardMayhem

Teams generally ranked below you go all out for a win. Verses GSU and ODU just being from a Power 5 conference puts a target on our back. Those guys spent time and energy on a game plan to take advantage of any weakness they saw or perceived in NC State. Beating a Power 5 team provides something for these 2 teams attempting to build a program and rise in the FBS division.

That is not the case with us. In addition to winning we need to be using these games to get ready for the conference schedule. Learning to play defense in our base D is important in our overall success. We may or may not use special preparation such as blitz packages or other wrinkles when we play conference powers or rivals. But in these OOC games I expect Doeren is using the game to see what we need to work on (practice.)

Is it smart to risk a loss to GSU or ODU for longer term goals? I don’t know. Most of us would likely say “no.” My “long term strategy” is to trust Doeren and leave the game planning and game management up to him. I will likely spend my time and energy trying to see what Doeren is doing and NOT spend my time and energy second-guessing him. I think I will learn more and enjoy the season more being this way about State football.

My disagreements will be with other commenters, not with the professionals running the football program. In that context, I respectfully disagree with your assertion that we have no team speed on defense and that ODUs QB and RBs “beat us around the corner with ease.” ODU had an excellent game plan and executed it very well. They were helped in this execution by poor tackling in space. IMO our problem on the edges was the LB not doing their job, not the speed of our DE’s.

Doeren is using more and more young players. I expect strength issues to be our main concerns as the season plays out. Strength issues will be less and less an issue as each season as these younger players mature and we get in a personnel position to redshirt on defense.

BTW all this wasn’t in response to your (BrickyardMayhem) assertion. I just got started and couldn’t seem to stop — just like running my mouth sometimes. Maybe I’m hoping that Mr. DOG or foose will step in and straighten some of this out.

Fastback68
    Participant

South Florida stats lead to a (non) classic rushing duel. Can State stop the 57th best rushing offense and can State run against the 32nd best rushing defense. I was stuck with the radio last week where every two yard gain sounds like State is wrapping up a National Championship victory. Did our O-line perform last week or not, as I have read conflicting accounts. Have any of our 2014 O-line freshman played or are they all redshirting? South Florida’s pass defense is ranked 100 so Brissett and company should have another solid outing but can we line up and run the ball.

maverick_ncsu
    Participant

94Wolfpack, I think that a couple of numbers got shifted in the report. It should be:

4th Down Pct Defense: 71.4% (11, 94)
    Red Zone Defense: 80.0% (9, 50)

Hope this helps.

WV Wolf
    Keymaster

Yeah, I messed those two lines up. The post has been updated. Thanks.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

Stats are fun.. here are two that have been puzzling:

After beating Gardner-Webb in our third game of 2009, we had at that point the # 1 defense in the country. We went 3-6 after that.

We had similarly high defensive rankings early last season. We saw how that turned out.

I’m not sure why you think that those are puzzling. As I’ve said many times, good production against weak competition is meaningless in its predictive value. On the other hand, bad stats against weak competition is pretty much always an indication that things are going to get ugly.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 72 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.